Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Blower resistor?

53K views 76 replies 40 participants last post by  natty-j 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I recently bought a 2006 gs with sun and sound package and I have a problem with the fan. When I switch it to 1 or 2 nothing happens while 3 and 4 work. When I turn AC on, I here the compressor fire up but the fan doesn't turn on until 3 and 4, at which point, the ac turns off.

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find where the blower switch resistor is. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you.

#41 ·
I also have a GT, but mine worked. However, I'm still trying to get the two screws back in. Removal was a breeze, replacement was a nightmare. After I changed mine my light on the a/c knob was blinking, so today I got something called EZ Chill to recharge my a/c system. It worked like a charm, but now my Low Side Schrader Valve bubbles. I'm thinking it must have a small problem or leak. *sighs* I still have to put everything back together, so I'll repost after that adventure tomorrow afternoon.

If I were you I would make sure to check fuses and what not. Yours sounds a bit strange comparing it to the rest of us. Post back.

#42 ·
I just registered on this forum to say thanks.

I just replaced the resistor in mine. i ended up using a rachet and a screw driver bit to get the pieces out. There really is not much room to work in there at all. took me an hour and a half, including a trip to home depot to get a small rachet. I also removed the motor for the fan in order to make some more room. I put it all back together and everything works!

Once again, thanks for the help.

#43 ·
Sorry for the thread necro, but I've got a 2008 Eclipse SE that seems to have a similiar problem as what's been described here, but I don't have any heat or A/C at any setting. I'm not a car guy, so could a blown condensor resistor cause this problem as well or am I looking at a different problem?

#49 · (Edited)
I know this is bumping a topic that is very old, but I would like to hopefully contribute something so that this can continue to be a resource for future web users. I found this page through Google.com and would like to thank the original poster for all of his pictures!!!

My sister drives a 2003 Dodge Stratus SE (a coupe).

My sister's A/C quit. She told me she needed a new blower motor (probably advised by my dad) and asked if I could install it. I said yes. Decided to buy a new resistor (for a 2003 Stratus ... NOT the SE) at the same time, which according to Google searches is a common issue for this vehicle. I spent like 3 hours trying to figure out how to install the thing, comparing what I was seeing under the dash to diagrams I saw online and was SUPER confused!!! Where was the resistor? I got these parts from RockAuto, so I knew they were for the right vehicle... Right?

Anyways, some searching around revealed that the Stratus SE coupe is a rebadged Mitsubishi Eclipse, same with the Chrysler Sebring coupe. Meaning, the 2003 Dodge Stratus resistor I bought did not fit the 2003 Dodge Stratus SE (which required a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse transistor). Super easy fix once the part came.

Oh yeah -- I replaced the motor, nothing worked ... Double check the fuses... D'oh! There's a blown one. Should have checked that before buying the motor ... Check the fuses before you drop $45 on a new motor!! A/C and heat worked on setting 4 (high), but no others after replacing the fuse. I installed the new motor anyway, since I bought it already, and she just needed a new transistor.

Hopefully anyone trying to fix their heater/AC on a Stratus SE can find the info here!! Thanks guys.

#51 ·
This is the fix for the ac/fan problem. I too had the compressor work only on speed 1 and but the fan didn't work. Then the compressor turned off for speeds 2, 3, and 4 but the fan worked. I found this thread, ordered the part, and it was an easy install. The one of two screws on the piece itself was a pain to get too but as long as you have a 'stubby' phillips you should be good.

#52 ·
Had the same problem as many. Green light on setting 1 with no air and blue light no fan on setting 2-4. Found this thread followed the tutorial dude made and now enjoying ice cold a/c again.

Here's mine installed. New shiny resistor from Mitsubishi for $28. The right screw was relatively easy to get out/in. Used the smaller screwdriver as suggested. But that left screw was a monster to get out/in. Managed to get the screw out most of the way but couldn't get my thumb and index finger in to grab the screw. Not enough space at all. Had to have my girlfriend stick her tiny hand in there to unscrew and pull it out. To get it back in I had my girlfriend set the screw for me with a few turns then I managed to get it in the rest of the way with a small philips. Arm is now swollen/bruised from trying to get in such a tight spot but well worth it.

Props to the guy who made the tutorial. Made it much easier.

Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

#54 ·
Subscribed. My AC went out for the second time in like 5 years but since I'm out of warranty, I'll be using Dookman's guide.

#55 ·
Sorry, I didn't post sooner to this thread. I wanted to let everyone know that on mine, it WAS the blower resistor. It is a $40 part from Mitsubishi. I also ordered one from discount Mitsubishi parts for less, but it took a long time to get. The dealer delivered it to my work in two days. The internet place took a week and a half. So you are better off getting it from the dealer.. it's quicker. Anyway, I had the dash apart for two days. (I followed the other member's directions for the most part.. thank you to him). This takes some time. There are a lot of bolts and screws. I put them all back in the holes with everything removed so that I knew where everything went upon re-assembly several days later.

One point I want to make is this: Make SURE you purchase this resistor from MITSUBISHI. I had previously gotten an aftermarket resistor 2 weeks prior and it did NOT work which really added some confusion.

Anyway, it is difficult to get to the resistor. I actually had to "feel" around to make sure I was onto the right part. It is up near the right side of the center console toward the firewall in the back (on the passenger side). As soon as I plugged it in and screwed it down, I started the car and adjusted the AC knobs. It worked PERFECT!! What a relief since it was 90 degrees that day and most of the week. Good luck to everyone with this issue. I highly recommend you take your time and do this repair yourself. You will save yourself some $$ from the dealership or local shop. :bigthumb:

#57 ·
'07 Eclipse GS Blower fan doesn't work

I've read this thread a couple times and assumed the popular solution would work for my car as well. My fan blower works off and on. It seems to not work more when its really hot outside. But its recently gotten cold and the fan mostly doesn't work still. I can turn my a/c on and the green light comes on and the compressor comes on as well, but no air is coming out of the vents. No air comes out on ANY setting (1-4) with the a/c on or off. If I go for a drive sometimes the air will finally kick on after a couple miles. Other times it doesn't work at all. So I assumed my issue was the blower resistor like everyone else. I ordered the part and just installed it. It did not fix the problem. Anyone have the same issue or know what the problem may be? I've checked all fuses and everything is fine there.

#58 ·
2007 Eclipse GS No air coming out of vents

My problem is that no air comes out of my vents on any setting (1-4) with the a/c on or off. Sometimes when I drive for a couple miles then the air will finally kick on and work just fine. Other times I'll get in my car and the air works just fine from the start, but usually it doesn't work at all. The a/c light comes on like normal and the compressor kicks on as well, but no air moves. I assumed my problem was the same, and I ordered the blower resistor part and just installed it. The problem is still there and hasn't changed at all. Please help!

I've checked all my fuses as well and nothing is wrong there either.

#59 ·
I'm not sure which system you have, but on the GT all controls can be set in auto, all you have to do is adjust the temp. But I'm sure our controls are much the same.

COLD weather: Heater Postion the fan will not come on until the engine reaches opperating temp; in other words, the fan will not come on until the engine is warm, normally around 2 miles. Once your heater reaches its temp (Medium), the fan will slow down unless you increase the temp again.

Same thing with your A/C it will not blow cold air if the outside temp is equal to that of your setting.

But it's also possible that you might be having problems with your control knobs themselves. So you should heat your engine up and try your test on your controls again, and try to give us some more detailed information so we can narrow it down for you.

#60 ·
Longhorn, I encountered the same situation.Put a new resistor in and the blower didn't work. Happened to be a bad resistor !! It was purchased from Autozone. I bought a genuine Mitsubishi resistor from the online discount parts site, re-installed it and evertthing worked like a charm. So I'd recommend installing a new Mitsubishi resistor.

#61 · (Edited)
Sorry to revive an old thread but I just ran into the same issue. My only problem though is that on top of the hvac not working, my power locks, trunk release, and 12v sockets also died at the same time. I checked fuses and they all seem to be ok. Also the alarm still works but it will only arm if the doors are physically locked first. Nothing works still with the resistor unplugged or the new one in. Also when it died completely, the a/c no longer turns green on 1. Originally it was a/c green on 1, only blowing on 3 and 4.

#63 · (Edited)
Well did nothing tuesday night as I gave up on it on after changing the blower resistor to no effect. Then it just happens to work yesterday morning perfectly fine, heat and a/c on all speeds, locks, 12v outlets so i just put the glove box back together and it worked all day. Then this morning, all worked fine, I'm 10 min into a 1 hour drive to a service call and the heat just shuts off, phone stops charging and there is nothing on the power locks again. No fuses were blown again. Wtf is wrong with this thing. I did however pull my center console apart while I was pissed off and found an awful wiring job for the deck that was in it replacing the rockford stereo. Now it has an axxess box in it but only like 4 wires go to the stereo and the rest go to the oem harness. all the wires from the deck harness also go to the car harness. and the oddest of all, the 2 phone mute wires from the axxess box seem to go to the obd port. Was the deck installer on crack or is that the way its supposed to be wired. if it helps only the 2 speakers in the back and 1 tweeter on the front passenger side actually output any sound. nothing from the woofer besides the startup double click and nothing from the other front tweeter and the front doors. could a really shitty stereo job actually cause all this bullshit? Oh yeah, and the comm error still shows often.

#66 ·
I have a 2007 Eclipse GS, the fan works on 1-4 and the light stays green the whole time, just no cold air whatsoever. (My heat works awesomely during the winter btw) Just took it into then shop before seeing this thread and they told me everything is in working condition, the motor, fan, freon is filled, etc. they said it must be an electrical or computer problem. Is this something that a new resistor would fix?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.