Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all

The previous owner of my car had the fang body kit / front bumper cover on it, anyways, he allegedly hit a curb and cracked them (dont worry crash bar /body lines are straight), so after I purchased the car I removed them. Sadly, there was this residue left behind like Industrial glue or cement, whatever they use to mount body kits or something that wont come off. I've tried goo gone, and other shit removers, but nothing, im scared to use a scraper because I fear I'll scratch up the rest of the bumper... Should I just buy a new bumper or bumper cover, or is there anything I can do to get the stuff off my bumper?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Use a 1:1 mixture ratio of paint thinner and acetone. Just kidding don't do that unless you want a hole in the bumper. What I have found best with your situation is using mineral spirits. Use a clean paper towel that does NOT have any dyes added to it. After applying the mineral spirits to the towel only wipe in one direction slowly and do NOT apply pressure. Don't wipe over the spot more than 3 times as you way damage the paint. If no result within the first several wipes, wait 15 minutes for the chemicals to evaporate and go after it again. Sometimes with dried glues and epoxies there is no solution to remove them safely. Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I know it's scary for car parts, but it's worked great for me. Goof Off. I used it for my debadge, and removing that thick 3M double sided tape they used to hold the SE spoiler on. I was worried it would take the paint off, or something, but it worked well. Might need to polish the area a bit after, but that's all. It basically dissolved my letters off.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Maybe a last resort type situation. You could try to sand down the epoxy areas. But I'd be really careful that you don't take off the paint or clear coat.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
+1 on goof off, but you gotta be careful, since its pretty much just a pressurized can of gasoline.
??? I just have the bottle... It's like a squirt bottle, not pressurized at all. It's like a bottle of lighter fluid, with the little nozzle that flips up, and then its a really fine stream. Regardless, I'd avoid open flames

1 - 7 of 7 Posts