Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Thanks for having me here. I don’t have an Eclipse, but found this group through the Lancer forums. I have been lurking for a bit and reading through other’s builds before joining. I am in the early stages of an engine build and a turbo addition. I have an 04 Lancer Ralliart with a few bolt-on and a tune. It is coming up on 220k miles and the evo prices are a bit too much for me to make the switch. I really like my Ralliart, so I decided on a new engine and turbo. I hope to have this done and installed this summer. I picked up a low mileage engine, 113k miles, that I will be working on since this is my daily driver. I have the new engine torn down this weekend, and have pretty much all the main components on order now. The cylinder walls actually look really good and done have any lip or gouging in them. Waiting on the pistons and rods, and I will then be dropping them off at the machine shop with the block and crankshaft for some machine work. I will be taking the head and intake in as well for porting/rework.

Right now my plans are:
87.5mm pistons and aftermarket rods (Sabertooth)
performance bearings (Sabertooth)
head and main studs (Sabertooth)
RRM 16g Turbo kit
RRM stage 1 clutch
Port and Polish intake and head
Lighten and balance Crankshaft
Transaxle rebuild with LSD

Planning on starting with the RRM turbo kit to get it running and then getting it retuned with larger injectors to eliminate the 5th injector.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi everyone. Thanks for having me here. I don’t have an Eclipse, but found this group through the Lancer forums. I have been lurking for a bit and reading through other’s builds before joining. I am in the early stages of an engine build and a turbo addition. I have an 04 Lancer Ralliart with a few bolt-on and a tune. It is coming up on 220k miles and the evo prices are a bit too much for me to make the switch. I really like my Ralliart, so I decided on a new engine and turbo. I hope to have this done and installed this summer. I picked up a low mileage engine, 113k miles, that I will be working on since this is my daily driver. I have the new engine torn down this weekend, and have pretty much all the main components on order now. The cylinder walls actually look really good and done have any lip or gouging in them. Waiting on the pistons and rods, and I will then be dropping them off at the machine shop with the block and crankshaft for some machine work. I will be taking the head and intake in as well for porting/rework.

Right now my plans are:
87.5mm pistons and aftermarket rods (Sabertooth)
performance bearings (Sabertooth)
head and main studs (Sabertooth)
RRM 16g Turbo kit
RRM stage 1 clutch
Port and Polish intake and head
Lighten and balance Crankshaft
Transaxle rebuild with LSD

Planning on starting with the RRM turbo kit to get it running and then getting it retuned with larger injectors to eliminate the 5th injector.
BTW, this is the newest car I have worked on, and the first turbo car. So I am happy to hear any tips and pointers along the way. I am used to the old air-cooled VW’s, and even that was years ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well I have some updates on the project finally. It appears that RoadRaceMotorsports is no longer in business. Tried getting ahold of them multiple times after my order was still “processing” after two weeks. I am going to have to piece this together myself.

Piston and Rods: showed up today, thank you Sabertooth. I will be dropping everything off at the machine shop tomorrow.

Main studs: ARP 207-5401

Head Studs: ARP 207-4203

Turbo Manifold: Got ahold of Mr Bishi on Facebook, and he will be making me a T3 turbo manifold once he gets the materials in.

Turbo Kit: Bought a universal T3/T4 turbo kit on eBay to get me going. I can upgrade components later on as needed.

Turbo: Garrett 60 trim .82 A/R

Fuel System: Bought the pink Subaru Sti 556 injectors and a Walbro GSS342 255LPH fuel pump.

Clutch: Ended up getting a Stage 2 Action Clutch.

Gauges: Went with an Autometer 3 gauge pillar and AEM 3 turbo gauge kit.

LSD: Traction Concepts TCXMI5322. I also bought a rebuild kit with all the syncros and bearings.

Tune: Found out the owner of the shop I get my oil changed at is an Evo fan, and can tune my car for me once I get the turbo installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So is it the same company then? RoadRaceMotorsports phone goes straight to a full voicemail box, and no response from email.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I have been watch YouTube video of an Evo 8 (4g63) tear down / rebuild, and I noticed the oil pump has a fitting on it that I assume is for the oil feed line on the turbo. Has anyone tried the 4g63 oil filter housing on the 4g69 instead of using the sandwich plate adapter?

Attachments

·
2,891 Posts
I’ve heard that the turbo oil feed lines are technically in our block, just not drilled and threaded

saber would be the guy to ask

for all intents and purposes, our engine is a bored and stroked 4G63 Evo 4-9 engine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So, this project has been on hold now for a couple months now waiting on a turbo manifold.

I wasn’t able to track down an oil filter housing off an evo 8 or 9. Turns out there were discontinued back in June, and nobody has them in stock anymore. I will have to come up with another solution to the oil feed line.

My water pump ended up going out this week, so I am going ahead and starting the tear down and removal of my old engine. I don’t see the point in tearing it down to replace the timing belt and water pump when I am getting ready to pull the engine out anyways. I was actually surprised on how clean the old engine was when I pulled the valve cover off, for having 220k miles on it.

The new engine came from the east coast and the external parts, brackets, and hardware were pretty rough, so I am pulling those off of the one in the car and swapping them out with the newer engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The transmission is now apart thanks to Cranswick’s YouTube Video. Going to take the gear sets in and have new synchros pressed on. I am also taking the pinion in to get the LSD installed in it. Have to wait until Monday for the shop to open.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts