Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Worked on the fuel pump today. Ended up buying a cheap in-line fuel pump to empty the gas tank. I had just filled up before the water pump went out. The pump made transferring the fuel to a gas can fast and easy.

The Walbro fuel pump was a bit longer than the stock fuel pump. I trimmed the little plastic tabs off the end of the pump for more clearance. I also had to trim the factory plastic cap that holds the fuel pump in a little where the filter sock attache, as well as leave the rubber spacer/filler off that was on the end of the stock fuel pump, but I did get the Walbro pump to fit in there securely. I also had to reuse the factory sock, as the new one that came with the pump was pointing in the opposite direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Couple updates. I finally have a tracking number for my turbo manifold and it is supposed to be here next Thursday.

I finished installing the new Subaru fuel injectors. They are a bit longer than the stock injectors.
Engineering Auto part Gas Metal Motor vehicle

I did some experimenting with the spacers for the fuel rail, and I noticed that the gap from the Subaru injectors is the same as another one of the stock spacers stacked on top of another. Since I had two engines, I have fours spacers already to use for it. I had to sand down one of the posts on one of the spacers, and then I drilled it out so that the two spacers nested together flush.
Automotive tire Gas Rim Household hardware Auto part
Automotive tire Household hardware Camera accessory Gas Rim
Automotive tire Household hardware Camera lens Gas Lens

I then used a little longer bolts to tighten everything up.
Idiophone Audio equipment Gas Automotive lighting Auto part

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It is going to be a busy weekend. The header came this week.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Machine

I was able to get a good idea how the turbo and exhaust was going to sit on there, and I got the location for the turbo oil drain line welded on. I also dropped off the turbo manifold to get ceramic coated.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

The synchros and LSD were also ready to be picked up this week.
Automotive lighting Hood Light Automotive tire Sleeve

I got the transmission back together today.
Scientific instrument Gas Engineering Machine Auto part

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine Engineering

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The engine is now in, sort of. There is only one mount holding it in, but it is in the engine bay again.
Hood Automotive battery Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

I started putting the flywheel in, and noticed the ring under the bolts on the factory flywheel doesn’t fit on the Fidanza flywheel. I haven’t seen any posts installing one of the. I am assuming it is okay to run it with just the bolts holding it down?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rim Automotive wheel system Wood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well I found a few videos on people installing Fidanza flywheels on other makes with just the bolts on the flywheel, so I am just not going to worry out that outer ring on it.
Hood Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Mechanic

The clutch is now on as well.
Automotive tire Alloy wheel Automotive design Locking hubs Rim

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Picked up the turbo manifold from the ceramic coater on my way home from work.

Automotive tire Automotive design Grey Automotive exhaust Bumper

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Bicycle part Auto part

I finished up the rear brakes as well. They still need to be bled, but otherwise the rear end is done.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Bumper

I also was able to get a hold of Hackish, and it sounds like he will be able to get me a base tune to get this thing running with the new gear on it.

Tomorrow my plan is to put the axles back in so I can get some fluid back in the transmission, then I can finish up the front suspension and brakes, and then get them bled. So Sunday I will be ready to get the turbo manifold and turbo mounted, and start running some oil lines.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Axles are in, trans is full, suspension is back together, and brakes are on and bled.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

I had almost forgot I had the clutch line to replace before I could bleed the brakes. I bought an evo 8 braided clutch line to eliminate the valve between the clutch master and the clutch slave.
Asphalt Road surface Wood Font Concrete

Body jewelry Jewellery Cable Circle Wire

Thankfully my little girly hands came through for me. The master side of the line was not easy to get to. It is way down behind the brake master cylinder.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

And the other end with the new slave cylinder.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ran into a problem once I got the turbo manifold mounted. There isn’t going to be room for the wastegate as it is currently sitting. I guess I am going to have to drop down to a half radiator. I may be able to take one of the fans off, but it looks like it will be really close to the radiator.
Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I reached out to Alex last night about the fitment of the manifold. He said I need to use the evo 4 radiator with either slim fans or pusher fans. I have an evo 4 radiator on order with slim fans and a new upper hose to fit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Radiator came today. Fans and upper hose should be here in the next day or two.
Font Tints and shades Signage Logo Brand

Grille Rectangle Font Automotive radiator part Gas

I couldn’t wait for the fans to test fit it in the car. Turbo fits great now, but I still have a clearance issue with the wastegate hitting the radiator. I talked to Alex again and I have the wastegate that he uses on order.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold Automotive super charger part Auto part

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Problems and more problems. I feel like ever time I take a step forward, I end up taking two steps back.
I mounted the slim fans onto the new radiator today. I tried to put them as low and to the driver’s side as I could to get the most clearance by the turbo as I could. I used the brackets that came with the intercooler to mount the fan module.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

For the oil feed line, I picked up a small 90 degree fitting for the sandwich plate as well as a couple caps for the two larger ports on it.
Automotive lighting Toy Body jewelry Gas Gadget

I bought a 40” braided line with 2AN fittings on each end, one with a 90 deg fitting for the turbo side. I ran it dow behind the power steering pump. My plan is to attach it along the big harness that runs over the timing cover.
Light Automotive tire Locking hubs Hubcap Motor vehicle

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part

I still don’t see there being room for the other wastegate. The manifold to radiator clearance is tight right there. I found and ordered a wastegate relocation elbow. My hopes are to mount it upright like the turbo is, and if I have to, tie the dump tube into the upper part of the down pipe.
Bicycle part Rim Material property Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Hand Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

As for the down pipe, the one I got with the turbo manifold, is set up for a V-band. My turbo however, does not have a V-band on it. I bought an adapter to go from the 4-bolt flange to the V-band, but it pushed the down pipe out too far and it was hitting the alternator. So no I am waiting on just the 4-bolt flange, and it will have to be welded onto the down pipe in place of the V-band.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle

Light Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

I am also having doubts that the hood will be able to close with how high the turbo is sticking up above the engine.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Making some progress again. The wastegate relocation pipe that I ordered didn’t fit very well and both flanges were at the wrong angle. I figured it would be easier to start from scratch than to try to cut, rotate, and reweld it. Plus it was a little too short for the wastegate down pipe to tie into the main down pipe. I ordered just a plain 90 with an extra loose flange since the wastegate came with two weld on flanges already. It actually fit better using the wastegate down pipe tube and cutting the flange off. It gave me the needed distance to get the wastegate out more towards where the alternator sits. It is going to sit upright with about a 45 lean towards the passenger side to try to keep the overall height low to hopefully clear the hood. I still need to get it welded, but it looks like it will fit okay. The wastegate down pipe will tie in just below the O2 sensor on the main down pipe. I will use the blank 90 for that.
Musical instrument accessory Wood Hand tool Bicycle part Eyewear

Musical instrument Sleeve Automotive design Wood Automotive exhaust

Made up a small bracket to support the lower part of the down pipe. It will bolt to the factory bracket on the front of the block. I still need to get that welded on as well.
Automotive exhaust Nickel Metal Muffler Composite material

Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

I also got the location of the intercooler figured out as well as how I am going to mount it. So I sprayed the intercooler black with some Cerakote so it won’t stand out as much in the front of the car. It should be plenty dry by the time I am ready to bolt it onto the car.

Liquid Bottle Fluid Medicine Plastic bottle

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Picked up the exhaust from the welder today. The wastegate is now plumbed into the main down pipe. I am going to work on some heat management for the alternator and wiring, but the hot side of the turbo is now done. It will be getting ceramic coated as well once the down pipe is all welded in and connected to rest of the exhaust under the car. I may add some heat wrap as well near the alternator.
Vehicle Light Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive air manifold Auto part

21 - 38 of 38 Posts