Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my gs is gone and I'm about to get a 08 gt and I would like to hear from the gt drivers how much fun are they and what kinda of performance should I expect from the gt stock as in 0 to 60 and things. As I'm focusing on looks first then more power.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In my experience, car is super fun to drive, it's not nimble by any means comparing it to my miata. It has enough power to get up and go when you need it, but definitely not the fastest thing out there.

Upgrade path is pretty limited, just basic bolt ons and a tune. Ripp made a supercharger but not anymore. RRE did a rear mounted turbo, but it's all custom and not too many people know much about it, at least from a practical stand point. It all comes down to being quite pricey and rare. Not impossible, just rare. Never timed my 0-60, but I assume I shaved a few tenths of seconds off the rated 0-60.

End of the day, it's reliable and fun, don't expect limitless possibilities and in return it'll treat you well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my experience, car is super fun to drive, it's not nimble by any means comparing it to my miata. It has enough power to get up and go when you need it, but definitely not the fastest thing out there.

Upgrade path is pretty limited, just basic bolt ons and a tune. Ripp made a supercharger but not anymore. RRE did a rear mounted turbo, but it's all custom and not too many people know much about it, at least from a practical stand point. It all comes down to being quite pricey and rare. Not impossible, just rare. Never timed my 0-60, but I assume I shaved a few tenths of seconds off the rated 0-60.

End of the day, it's reliable and fun, don't expect limitless possibilities and in return it'll treat you well.
Thank you for telling me about your experience. I can't wait I heard after full bolt ons and a tune it can make at least 305 horsepower to the crank is this true.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,845 Posts
I've got both.

While the GT is a gigantic pain in the ass to work on, its overall friendlier than a high power GS. The extra front weight is instantly noticable, but that also aids in off the line grip. The axle design is also different, in that the GT has a carrier bearing on the passenger side to counter torque steer.

Overall, it's not a bad go. Definitely look into a tune ASAP as they run very rich otherwise. You'll see big fuel savings, closer to a stock GS.

Power wise, most do about 270-280whp with your standard bolt on and tune setup. Considering they do about 230-245whp stock, that's about right at the crank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So my gs is gone and I'm about to get a 08 gt and I would like to hear from the gt drivers how much fun are they and what kinda of performance should I expect from the gt stock as in 0 to 60 and things. As I'm focusing on looks first then more power.
Stock performance: 5.8 0-60 15.0 1/4 mile. I find the car adequate for everyday driving. Passing power is good.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,845 Posts
0-60 is all about tires and weight distribution, 1/4 mile is still greatly about tires and weight distribution. The fastest bolt on GT 1/4 mile time was in the 12s, it was on drag radials, on a prepped surface, with traction adder on the tires. Same mods without that grip, guys have run as bad as mid 14s. Coming from an NA GS, you'll like it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
0-60 is all about tires, 1/4 mile is still greatly about tires. The fastest bolt on GT 1/4 mile time was in the 12s, it was on drag radials, on a prepped surface, with traction adder on the tires. Same mods without that grip, guys have run as bad as mid 14s. Coming from an NA GS, you'll like it.
I just bought my gt yesterday I'm so happy man anybody on any of the Facebook groups

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought my GT this year not having driven one before. I had driven the GS and it felt very under powered for as sporty a car as this looks. I did some body work, put on a new front fender, installed coilovers and lowered it nicely with a two finger gap from the tire to wheel well. I also tightened up the springs on the coil overs for a firmer road feel and then dropped it accordingly. Rides and handles great. Next up I am adding spacers to the rear wheels (1/2") and am going to put on 255/45/18 on the rear to get her to sit and look right. This is the fastest car I have ever driven off the line...and very very quick for normal driving. Today some hipster in a new Audi pulled up to me at a light that moved into a single lane, and he punched it off the line and I just blew him away like it was nothing. Felt good I must say. My friend who visited recently from down south saw the GT in the driveway and thought it was a Porsche. I don't have any logos or badges on the car right now. Most people don't know what these cars are.. which is kinda fun. I'm not a racer, but feel I can give most cars a run for their money if I need to pass or get by them. Mine has 116K on it, so pretty low mileage and the interior is perfect. Love the leather heated seats, sunroof, nice sound system, simple controls, nice heat and AC, so nice luxuries and performance. I'm in total so far about $4500. Incredible car for that price in my opinion. Enjoy yours.. I am sure you will!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought my GT this year not having driven one before. I had driven the GS and it felt very under powered for as sporty a car as this looks. I did some body work, put on a new front fender, installed coilovers and lowered it nicely with a two finger gap from the tire to wheel well. I also tightened up the springs on the coil overs for a firmer road feel and then dropped it accordingly. Rides and handles great. Next up I am adding spacers to the rear wheels (1/2") and am going to put on 255/45/18 on the rear to get her to sit and look right. This is the fastest car I have ever driven off the line...and very very quick for normal driving. Today some hipster in a new Audi pulled up to me at a light that moved into a single lane, and he punched it off the line and I just blew him away like it was nothing. Felt good I must say. My friend who visited recently from down south saw the GT in the driveway and thought it was a Porsche. I don't have any logos or badges on the car right now. Most people don't know what these cars are.. which is kinda fun. I'm not a racer, but feel I can give most cars a run for their money if I need to pass or get by them. Mine has 116K on it, so pretty low mileage and the interior is perfect. Love the leather heated seats, sunroof, nice sound system, simple controls, nice heat and AC, so nice luxuries and performance. I'm in total so far about $4500. Incredible car for that price in my opinion. Enjoy yours.. I am sure you will!
Man I then had mine for a few days now and I'm completely in love my second day having it a 2016 Camaro V6 rolled raced me we did a 20 and a 40 and I blew him away and I have mods yet. I swear car is fun especially when I downshift and take off. Mike is unique I have a destroyer grey body with black wheels with 15 percent tints all around and smoke headlights and taillights and people be so amazed and dnt be knowing what it is too. Ice also heard Porsche before. I'm glad you enjoying yours man too though. My gs I did some serious power mods and was respectable even was faster than older gt and gts cars but this 4g gt is a monster.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,845 Posts
There’s a lot of big power 6g75s out there in every vehicle but the eclipse. Put the turbo in the rear… stand alone ecu’s set up with a good tune shop and rock some power
3si forums are a good spot to find some. But there are a few in Eclipse making 600-800hp. It's just not a great engine/platform for making really high power easily. That's why there's more 4 cylinders making power over 500 than 6.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think anywhere between 3-400 natural horses is about perfect. 280 is my new goal hopefully 3 if I make it to Tennessee and run those nice custom headers around… straight pipe convertible loud and fast with some nice tires coilovers and some st sway bars… do they fit a gt in the front?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m trying out the Jet v force plus this week. taps the tps map and o2 sensor by wire and hopefully isn’t just a cool 400$ gauge I’ll let you guys know I don’t expect much other than to make it run better with an intake and no muffler I also found a genuine mega razin by pivot in Japan. Please let me know if this thing is going to cook some wires on me or actually help regulate voltage… but bottom line I love my GT it sucks gas and hauls ass the seats are great and I’m 6’4 250. And the sounds. My stereo still kicks ass first time I’ve ever had a little thump thump in the back I crank it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts