Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I come from 3000gt world and I am considering doing a MIVEC swap. I'm more than capable, just looking for some info. I've done quite a lot of searching but only find threads that are 2011 or older, none of which have any real data/specs/results in them. I feel like I'm chasing my tail.

Does anyone have any answers, or even just reading material on the following:
- Cams for a MIVEC turbo application... results?
- I've seen Itallo's (ITMan) head flow numbers... any others?
- How do MIVEC heads respond to boost?
- How do MIVEC heads handle getting revved out? Is Delta the go-to for springs/retainers?
- Any other pertinent information for me?

I hate being the guy that asks obvious questions, but I just flat can't find any of this info.

I've already purchased a 75 MIVEC engine to snag heads and whatever else from. My current setup for those that care is a 74 block/75 crank/stage 3 VR4 heads/every single supporting mod you can think. I never had it on a dyno, but it made a lot of power at just 20 pounds of boost. I have some fresh 68HTA's ready to go on it... shooting for some big numbers. I need to make sure these heads are good to go. I expect to rev out to 8000 minimum. Preferably 8500 or 9000

ANY help is appreciated! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Man, I wish I had answers to help you out cuz this sounds absolutely awesome, but I've never delved that deeply into the 75. I don't think any of us still around have a turbo'd eclipse, let alone the 75. From my understanding, stock can take low boost (6-12), but any higher and things get a bit shaky. Might have to get forged heads.

It sounds like an awesome project, though. I'm very impressed.

EDIT: Brendon was wanting to turbo his 75 and did a whole ton of research, maybe he might have some better answers?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are only a few people who have done the MIVEC swap in 3S world. Itallo (ITMan3s) being the big dog... I think he's pushing 1300+ through his setup. I'm a conservative 8 - 900 kinda target :eek:

I will reach out to Itallo, but I had assumed at least a few people went the turbo route on 4G's? It's not that extreme of a modification is it? No one in here runs standalone's or even piggy backs?

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
There have been a few, but they simply don't post anymore. Either left the modding world, sold the car, or just got bored. Its actually incredibly difficult to turbo our car purely because theres just no room in the engine bay. It's extremely compact and since no one makes turbo kits, we have to fabricate our own, and at that point it might be better to just invest in a faster car. RIPP made a supercharger kit for a while, but they're hard to find nowadays and they're superchargers, not turbo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense. I am gonna reach out to a few of (what I gather) the smarter performance based people. I just need a breadcrumb and I can find my own way from there haha!

Thanks for your responses! Sucks this forum has such a small following... I see 4G's everywhere!

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I have done a lot of research on turboing my GT (6g75), but have decided it's not really worth it. As Tom said, there is no kit, so it's all custom. From my research, there have been (I think) 4 turbo builds, and 1 twin turbo on the 6g75. I'm sure that Michael (aka Hackish) would have a better idea, because he is one of the few guys to offer boosted tunes, and he's been around for a lot longer. I wouldn't really be the most knowledgeable guy to ask about any in-depth turbo questions, but I have retained a bunch of knowledge, just because I was planning on a turbo myself.

The stock engine can handle up to 7 (citation needed) PSI SAFELY. You could probably run a bit more, but you'd be treading in dangerous waters. So, you would need pistons at least. Some people say that the stock rods are already ridiculously strong, but if you're shooting for 900 hp, you'd probably need to replace those too. This too, would need to be custom. From what I have found, no one makes pistons or rods for the 6g75 anymore (they only made a few sets when they did). You would definitely need head work done, and an aftermarket TB, that stuff isn't terribly unattainable or expensive. As for the MIVEC specific questions: I have no idea. No one has really talked about it. All the turbo guys settle for around 450hp or less, and never really mentioned MIVEC equipment. They all just did pistons, head studs, maybe rods, or just kept the motor stock and ran low boost. Cams is a different story. I don't recall anyone replacing their cams- it was always kind of the thing everyone said "Man, I wish we had cams". People presented "aftermarket cams," but I don't think the projects went anywhere (I hope someone jumps in and corrects me if I'm totally off the ball here). I think everyone just ran the stock cams. I guess there's a bunch of threads explaining why the 6g75 cams are "weird," and why upgrades are difficult. With that said, Plain Jane sent a link to our group chat with a company based out of Australia that was selling cams for the 6g75 MIVEC for around $1,600. I haven't seen any more info about them, not sure how they would work with boost, and I haven't heard of anyone who installed them. Again, uncharted territory. Search "turbo gt" and read through the Kaiju thread, and the oceanstatetuning thread (I'll link later). It's all complicated and messy. I hope I helped at least a little bit, or answered at least one question.

EDIT 1: A few people (Horse-eater for one) had their camshaft regrinded to change the profile. Still nothing yet about brand new, aftermarket cams.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I appreciate the response. I am pretty much asking 100% about MIVEC based questions. Pistons, rods, block, tuning, intake, exhaust, turbo's, etc. etc. etc. I have all figured out. My car has been running the 74/75 combo for years already... I am just looking into a different head setup.

I have read probably 10 or15 different threads all pertaining to head work (port and polish, cams, springs, and valves) and there seems to be a lot of information floating around, but no execution. RPW in Austrailia has the cams you're referring to, and ITman3S (Itallo Grasso) runs them with good results... but that's not to say that stock cams wouldn't have equally good results. IDK what kind of upgrade the cams actually are. No data.

I still appreciate the response regardless. I will keep checking to see if someone gets pulled out of the woodwork that can at least lead me to a company, and I'll call the company myself. I have heard that Delta did some stuff, Hobbs ported heads at one point, I have a couple of personal contacts that have done some work on MIVEC equipment I'm going through as well.

I can't believe no one pushes the engines past even 500hp. 6G's make power so easily... 500 is like the basic bolt on upgrade for a 3S

EDIT: I tried to reach out to Horse Eater. He hasn't been on since 2015 and he has PM's turned off. I have access to Itallo though, so I'm pursuing that path.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Yeah, apologies for restating things you knew. Wasn't sure how long you've been lurking on the forum lol. That's a recurring theme here- a lot of talk, no execution. I wish there was more info on the MIVEC specific stuff. No one really messes with it, not sure why. I, too, hope someone comes out with a bunch of good info.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I am gonna reach out to a few of (what I gather) the smarter performance based people.
I am hurt... :mecry:

I can't believe no one pushes the engines past even 500hp. 6G's make power so easily... 500 is like the basic bolt on upgrade for a 3S
This is the biggest disappointments about the 4G. It has an amazing engine, but everything else is just... meh. I feel like if they had an AWD model and didn't build it on the same fucking frame as an SUV, making it weigh far more than it should, there would be a much better modding community.

But alas...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a feeling I can bring to light some of the information pertaining to MIVEC stuff. Just gotta start digging. This is only day one of me really doing research. I wasn't gonna pull the trigger on this stuff anytime soon... but a longblock (minus crankshaft) for $300 changed my mind. Kinda hard to pass it up now...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well written thread, Stas! I appreciate the information! I wish there was more like that out there... particularly surrounding the RPW cams. I found a lead on the stage 2 turbo MIVEC cam from them for a good price.

That Russian 3000gt is crazy! Those tubes look wild!

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
sounds maybe strange, but I would have refused the camshafts RPW. Now I will try to explain (with my English ))))
The 4G69 and 6G75 engines, each cylinder has 5 Cams. Two Cams on the exhaust. They are always working in one mode for all engine speeds.
Intake are 3 Cam. All three have different Cam size lift and duration. Two fist low and medium lifting work up to 3500 rpm. It gives a stable idle and good efficiency. One Cam with a large lift running after 3500 rpm. It includes a solenoid mivec. While the stock Cam has 274* duration. And the valve lift of 10 mm (.393") It gives high power at high revs.
What did the guys from RPW ?
They made only three Cam instead of five. Two work for the exhaust. And one 274* intake. That is, as a permanent inclusion mivec at all RPMs.
But the meaning is lost. At lower rpm it is not necessary so much to open the valves. Duration is very large. Idling will be a problem. The fuel will fly into the exhaust pipe.
System mivec very well thought out. For example. I currently made a camshaft 300* duration. And the valve lift 12.58 mm (.495"). And it works fine. Engine 6G75 and 6G75 mivec differ by 47 HP Is the merit of a broader camshafts.
If you understood what I wrote. )))))))

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
You can contact Kelford.
Camshafts, High Performance Racing Camshafts from CamshaftShop, the Online Camshaft Shop
They can make any shaft. It will cost about 900$. These shafts are not on the list. But this is not a problem. You send them your camshafts. In our country, many have ordered this company camshafts, if it is not possible to make. If a shaft has been done previously, the price drops to 600.
Be sure to use a system mivec. This will give you extra power.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Stas, I understand exactly what you're saying. I read the thread where the cam lobes are explained.

There are several assumptions being made that are incorrect, and I would like your opinion!
- I don't care about rough idle. This will be on a standalone ECU (not a stock ECU) that will be tuned by me
- I don't care about fuel mileage... this is my toy, not my daily driver
- I want what will give me the most power

Knowing those things now, do you still think RPW cams are not good? Is there something better out there? You know more than I do and I want to learn all that I can!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The numbers that RPW has are different than what you had said. From their website:

Stage 2 turbo application
272 intake @ .227 lift low RPM, and .300 High RPM
247 exhaust @ .300

1 - 20 of 69 Posts