Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got something going on with my Eclipse 4G, and I can't figure out what it is. I'm trying to avoid taking it to a shop and blowing 500% more money than what the repair is worth on mechanics time and repairing parts that aren't the problem. So I thought I'd ask here first.

Here's the deal: The car cranks but it won't start.

I was driving the other day, stopped at a stoplight shortly after my house and my engine started to idle really really low almost to the point of stalling. I was like, "huh, weird, maybe it's just cold" so I revved the engine a bit, then it fell off all the way and died out. immediately wouldn't restart.

From that, me and everyone I know were pretty sure it was fuel injection for it to die like that. I checked the fuel pump and its fine, and unwittingly tried to turn the car over with the fuel line unconnected and it shot fuel. That means the pump is fine, and it's relays and fuses are fine. Fuel is being pumped.

Next thing we thought is that it might be a spark problem. So we took out a spark plug, checked for a spark, checked for an arc, and we got nothing. So it is definitely not throwing a spark.

The plugs themselves are fine, and the chances of all of them going out at once were basically nothing anyways. So we assume it's electrical. So I went out and bought an OBII code reader...and the car throws no codes. Now, we did un-hook the battery when we were messing with the fuel pump, which would've erased any codes, but upon trying to start, if it were a sensor or something it should've thrown a code immediately.

So I'm pretty stumped. I was thinking to check the ASD relay but I can't find any information on which relay is the ASD relay which makes me believe that there maybe isn't one on a 4G. We do have a relay called an MFI relay that seems to relate to exactly what's going on, and I'm going to buy a voltage meter to check that tonight. Other than that, I have no idea what's going on.

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pumping fuel doesn't mean the pump is good. You need fuel PRESSURE for injectors to fire a spray to be ignited.

Test the pressure. If it's too low, it's either the pump, a leak, or the regulator is stuck open in the basket.
I would think that could be a problem, if it weren't for the fact that we already know the car doesn't spark. Fixing anything in the fuel injection shouldn't have anything to do with the car sparking. Since we already know it isn't sparking it has to be something related to that.

I did go and get a voltage meter and I tested the fuel pump relays, the starter relay, and the MFI relay and they all appear to be giving off the same resistance which would mean they must be good. There's no way in hell all of my relays died at the exact same moment.

One of my acquaintances says that it might be that my ECU isn't grounded. Although it must have been grounded to start that day and idk how it would have suddenly become un-grounded five minutes after I left my house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts