Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 mitsubishi eclipse gs 5-speed
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Felix, I own a 2009 mitsubishi eclipse GS MT.

The body is a bit beat up but already planned on making it look nice after I do all I can on the mechanical side.

I do not know anyone on the site but would like to get to know more people with the same love for the mitsubishi eclipse. (I like all 4 of the gens, honestly.)

I'm originally from Bronx, New York.
I have been living in Oklahoma since 2003.

Some extra info: I recently had open heart surgery and realized that time is too short and I should enjoy the things I love to do before I can't do it anymore.

FYI, the profile pic is myself with my co-pilot Wally AKA the good boy Wallace.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the club. Any plans to remove the fake glue on vents from the skirts? Or was that your doing

Mechanically, the most important maintenance is generally the timing belts. Change them, and these engines usually last quite a while.
Thanks sabertooth, glad to be here.

I plan to put a new body kit on it. I Don't like to have anything just for looks. If it has no functionality, I don't want it.

I already have an OEM timing belt on the way.
I've been reading the past posts on what to do, I seen that someone mentioned spacers for the TB and the intake manifold but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

I want to get all the parts I can so I can just do everything in one go.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Nah, skip those. They're only minimally worthwhile, and only if you have good engine bay airflow to keep everything from heat soaking which we don't naturally have. If you're deadset, I believe Unsupported Performance has them though.

What's your end goal? Let's work to that. Purpose of the vehicle, how you want it to behave, and then less importantly, power goal.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My original goal was to have 300hp or higher and AWD setup for MT, supercharger and turbocharger. I honestly would love to make this into a Mopar killer, but realistically it won't happen. The awd option will not work for manual transmission and the power loss isn't worth it.

With that said, I would be happy with 250hp.
Air bag suspension and vertical doors.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
300hp is easy. That's a pretty mild turbo setup. 340whp is where you need a new MAF housing, but it's still stock engine at that point, just a better clutch than stock. The stock fuel pump will even handle that. It tops out shortly after though (I maxed the MAF at 10psi boost, managed to go 14 on stock pump)

AWD is less easy and cheap, but it's still a bolt on option mostly, and manual is actually the easier option.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been going through these posts and still haven't found anything other than negative comments about the AWD conversion. PM me any links to the AWD setup(if you have some time to do so). I was leaning away from it, because the comments about the loss of power and only the AT are compatible.

I am not concerned with the amount of money I'm going to pour into this car because I want this car to be the way I envision. I have access to an auto garage with lifts, I love nothing more than to work on this eclipse with my own two hands.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,581 Posts
Anything before 2017 can mostly be discredited when it comes to turbos, AWD, RWD, engine swaps, etc. This forum had a plague of compliance, lazyness, and cheap owners. The auto and manual have the same bellhousing, and the manual trans is smaller. It fits, it's the standard way to go AWD, it has been done a handful of times. Here's a list someone else gave me. Some stuff is V6 specific, sift that out.

AWD Swap

Not my list*

AWD swap parts required. Quick list. May be missing a few things.

Evo Transmission 5 speed. Evo 8 preferred. But Evo 7-9 ok. 6 speed is weaker.

Evo manual transmission wiring harness. Reverse sensor plugs right into the eclipse plug. But the speed sensor plug is different. And will need spliced into the eclipse harness. Evo 8 only. Others may be different plugs. So a harness to match the transmission you get. Speedometer works well and is accurate with the evo 8 transmission speed sensor.

Transfer case. Evo 7-9. Non ACD. ACD not ideal. But will work.

The 3 shafts to connect the transmission transfer case and front axles. This may come with the transmission or transfer case. But if not will be needed. The one between the transmission and transfer case is usually still in the transmission. But the two for the front axles is normally not as they need to be removed to disconnects the parts.

Rear differential Evo 8 is best but requires more fabrication. Custom mounting brackets to mount It in the endeavor rear subframe. Endeavor rear diff is not as good but easier to install with the factory endeavor mounting brackets. Less fabrication. Evo has a factory LSD. Endeavor does not.

Centre drive shaft. Evo 7-9. Centre drive shaft brackets will need welded in the tunnel. This is slightly too long. The evo has a longer wheel base. But it can be used if mounted correctly. But shortening slightly is ideal. Evo is 1.9" longer wheel base.

All 4 Evo cv axles. Or Evo front and Endeavor rears if using Endeavor rear differential.

Educator ring on evo rear axles will need relocated over to allow abs to still function.

Your original front axles. Evo front inner and Oem front outer axles pieces needed for custom axles.

All cv axles will need to be made custom length with the oem outer pieces.

Stock eclipse speed sensors work ok.

Evo fuel tank. Or modified stock tank. Needs clearance for drive shaft and differential.

Endeavor rear subframe.

Endeavor rear knuckles. Will need custom work done to make the brakes fit. Or use Endeavor rear brakes. Custom ebrakes.

Modified rear toe suspension arm. This car being much lower the toe arm becomes too long. Adjustable modification is best to achieve ideal alignment.

Custom adapter plates to mount evo transmission to the V6. This is the really hard part. ***

But it will bolt to the 4cylinder in the 4G. Not sure of the clutch requirements in the 4 cylinder. But an evo clutch may be your best bet.

With a properly built adapter plate and a custom push conversion throw out bearing plate. With a stock throw out bearing from the V6. An standard V6 clutch and flywheel can be used. But a custom clutch with clutch masters evo push conversion throw out bearing is ideal.

Custom engine mounts. Passenger side on the engine can be reused. But the rest need to be custom.

Custom exhaust to clear drive shaft. Custom mid pipe to clear around transfer case. And possibly custom headers also. I modified my obx long tube headers to make them work.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been reading this several times over.
It's definitely doable and it's going to be time consuming, the hard part is getting the parts and pre engineering everything.

Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still wonder the difference in power and performance from the endeavor's setup and the evo's setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts