Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been chasing a parasite drain for the last month or so. If I leave the battery on overnight, it will be drained by morning.

If I jump it and drive around, it will recharge fine. As long as I don't leave the battery plugged overnight, I'm fine.

I've meter tested the battery, alternator, and every fuse. They all seem fine, so the issue isn't a constant. Something must be draining randomly.

Some months ago, a coworker let me know that my car lights were on. I simply put in the keys, switch it to on and off, and activated the alarm. They turned off. A couple weeks ago, doing a quick errand, I noticed again that my daylight driving lights randomly flickered while the car was off.

I am assuming that the parasite drain is the DRL's, but I don't really want to do a DRL delete. I am planning on changing out my headlights in the next couple of weeks and don't really want to lose my DRL's. I am planning on installing the SPEC-D halo lamps, and those have a DRL bar on the top.

Is there a way to fix the DRL issue without the standard "delete the DRL"?

Could the flicker be something other than the Front ECU?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just cover the DRL pin with some electrical tape. See if that fixes your problem. Though it seems like something else is kicking them on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just shooting in the dark here, I don't know much about your ride, and if you've got an auto, I don't know how this translates.

If you have a manual, then the DRLs turn on when the parking brake disengages. If you've wired in an aftermarket stereo, you likely had to run a lead to this circuit so the car would know when it's in drive and prevent use of video display features such as DVD playback. If you wired it incorrectly, you may be shorting the DRL circuit into an always-hot lead, which could be causing this problem. If you have an aftermarket stereo, or any electronics you've integrated recently into factory wiring, it wouldn't be the worst idea to double-check the work and make sure you're only tapping into accessory wires (red/blue and black/blue IIRC).

If you have a stock head unit, then the ECU is a good guess, but I would think that if you were having an ECU circuit problem, than a code reader would pick that up (these errors may or may not generate a CEL). Another possibility is because these cars are getting up in age a bit that the connection between the outer and inner fuse boxes might not be as good as it used to be.

Your best bet to troubleshoot it is going to be a multimeter and an understanding of the cars wiring and circuitry. Unfortunately, that's a bit of a bitch; the wiring diagrams are written to the understanding of engineers; most of us aren't that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts