Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Eclipse GS Auto
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(sorry if this isn’t the right forum section or whatever, this is my first post on here)

I recently bought a 2009 GS. Low miles, love the car, nothing wrong with it except one thing; the cigarette lighter doesn’t work. There’s also an LED light strip (from the previous owner) under the glove box with some type of adapter going into the center console that i’m scared to just pull out. (the LEDs don’t work at the moment and i personally don’t want them.) I’m wondering if it’s possible that they took the power from the cigarette lighter to light those LEDS? I’m not too knowledgeable when it comes to fixing and working on cars, im just now getting into them and trying to learn and do my own things on my car. If the LEDs have no correlation, then how can I figure out what’s wrong with the cigarette lighter and try to fix it?

I’m eventually going to convert the cigarette lighter hole into an adapter for the aftermarket wired carplay headunit i’m going to install within a few weeks, so the cigarette lighter isn’t a big deal right now but i’m just wondering if it’ll be an easy fix to get it back working so I can use it to charge my phone and whatnot while I wait to install the new headunit.

·
Registered
2009 Eclipse GS Auto
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be a blown fuse, could be a crappy cut, twist, and tape job. You'll have to look.
from looking at it, it’s not a regular fuse in the spot. my initial guess was right and the previous owner somehow used that fuse spot to wire the LED light strips. turns out there’s a switch under the steering wheel area that powers the LED strips. I had no idea and thought they just didn’t work. i actually don’t mind the lights, i just have no way to change the color/brightness of them.

·
Registered
2009 Eclipse GS Auto
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like an add-a-fuse type situation? Or did they cut the wiring at the fuse box?

Usually people who pull power from a cigarette lighter cut the wires, add their LED wiring off of it, and tape it all back up together. That's why that was the first I mentioned.

View attachment 103090
that sounds like what they did. i’m not entirely too sure, i’m a very tall person and looking down under there is hard and uncomfortable for more than just a quick look, and i don’t have that much knowledge on this. all i could see was there was a wire coming from the cigarette lighter fuse spot, into another wire then into the LED lights. with a few of the wires ziptied down there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts