Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ricer
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any luck cleaning their engine bay? I was looking around on the forum and haven't seen any pictures of peoples engine bays looking super clean. I'm not too proud of what mine looks like... Engine block is rusting and peeling.. Piping and body on the inside is very dirty, you know. I was thinking about getting an engine cover but that is the only thing I can come up with. I'd like to take a hose and spray it down but that would f*ck the whole engine and I'm personally skeptical on doing it myself.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Cleaning the engine bay takes time. I dont run a hose to it directly but I take a sprits bottle, shoot off what I'm going to whip down, use soap and sponge and then come back with clean cloth to dry it. On my Ceramic parts the last thing I do is hit it with paper towels and 5 star. If you are talking about dressing up the engine, there is a whole thread dedicated to just that. IMG_7624.jpg

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ive done a hose in the engine bay its not going to damage anything as long as you cover up any important electronics like the battery, alternator, ecu and if you still have the stock intake the air dam you will be fine

·
Ricer
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All great ideas. I should have searched to see if this was an ongoing thread instead of making my own, my bad. I'll try these suggestions though.

·
Registered
526 Posts
That definitely cleans up the fuse box area. Is it just me or does Mitsubishi use twice the amount of wiring than other manufacturers?

·
Registered
526 Posts
It just blows my mind how they ran power on the drivers side, than remote ground blocks on the passenger side. Or how they ran the wiring for everything on the passenger side under the front bumper around to the ABS unit. I wonder how much work a wire tuck on our cars would be.

·
F.N.G.
108 Posts
There's a few videos on Youtube that show how to properly do this (I think the one I like watching is ChrisFix).
To do it right you need to buy a few things. Some good stiff and a few flexible brushes (paint brushes work pretty well but you need at least one good stiff one for the hard to remove debris), lots of microfiber towels, some 303 protectorant spray, and if you really want to make it easier a McCulloch MC1275 steamer (about $130). If you're married, just tell the wife it will help clean and sterilize around the house.
It takes a bunch of time and you're going to be filthy when you're done, but remove the battery and cover all the important not to get wet stuff and go to town. Do a dry cleaning first with the brushes and then just be real careful with a spray bottle of soapy water and and scrub scrub scrub. You can use the steamer and the brushes to get the hard to reach spots and then dry it off with a blower, air compressor, or let it air dry. Use the 303 protectorant on plastic surfaces (NOT BELTS) and hoses.
You can remove the hood blanket and clean it VERY carefully (it's similar to a head liner so if you get it wet, it's going to separate from the glue and ruin it). I just used the brushes and careful application of my air compressor to get it clean. If it's faded, you can spray it with some aerosol black cloth dye.

Here's what I was able to do using this stuff (it's not perfect by any measure)...

I had to use a steel circular brush on my drill to clean up the manifold. That ugly spot on my manifold cover is where I repaired it using JBWeld and never went back and sanded it down.

Good luck all and happy detailing!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I do clean my engine bay but I only use damp microfiber, super clean, toothbrush/detail brush and an air blower. I normally start outside then then go around. Then start doing the inside one portion at a time. It takes a lot of time and you need a lot of patience. I stop when I get tired and then continue on some other days when I feel like it. The key is doing it one area at a time. It will be easier to know when you left off, then proceed until you finish the whole engine bay. Happy detailing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts