Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Twisted694 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a 2007 Eclipse GS with 24,000 miles yesterday. Me and my dad noticed that the clutch bites very late about 3/4 (maybe later) of the way out. Could the clutch be bad, or going, or does it need adjusted? Is it still covered under warranty? it says I have a 60,000 mile warranty, but dont know if it covers that? Also you can smell the clutch a little bit too, we thought it was maybe cause it was sitting for a while before we bought it from the dealer it may have stopped, but maybe not. I am having trouble pulling out cause I am not used to the clutch letting out so late, especially on hills. ANY opinions on this problem would be appreciated. I'm new with this haha. Thanks guys

Here is a video of what I am talking about, its kind of misleading but it lets out farther than it looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIrdpUI6v6E

#3 ·
no worries on it being old man - that's what the archives are there for. smart of you to search, and smart of you to post in here instead of making a new thread. +erep.

Now, as far as your issue - if I am not mistaken, OEM clutches can start to go at 30K - IF I am not mistaken - someone else please correct me. I have an AM stage IV clutch in mine, so I am not as worried about it - but if you replaced yours w/ an OEM clutch, I want to say it's possible it is going already - as that is nearly another 50K in miles...depending on how "spirited" your driving has been, it could very well be time for another one man....might I recommend an AM one if you are wanting it to last a bit longer. there are lots of good options. hope this helps some. someone else should chime in and confirm or deny what I wrote about the expected mileage - I am only stating what I THOUGHT I remember reading from another post.

#4 ·
Thank you man and that sucks bc it is an "oem replacement" (from what is on my bill ) and it cost like 1000 just for a crap clutch and to install it...and I was actually looking at the spec 2+ kit and having a friend that owns a shop helping me out. I surely can not afford a grand..I'll be leaving for college in like 13 days...and I'm pinching pennies as is haha thanks for the wise words though man I'll look in to the AM brand also

#5 ·
sure thing Brandon, anytime. and for $1000 you can get a great aftermarket clutch. I bet ACI or JMAutoRacing has some decent prices that may even be lower. best of luck to you and let us know how it turns out.
but still someone else needs to confirm what I said about when those OEMs clutches start to go out.

#8 ·
#7 ·
ok so clutches... there was a huge thread on how long clutches last on these cars. Some guys have ran their clutch 60-100k with no problems. Others had it go around 30k-40k. I know for me i bought the car with 38k miles and my clutch went at 40k. I was pissed, because im 99% sure that this was abuse of the previous 2-3 owners before me. I replaced the entire clutch system- throwout bearing, flywheel and all. Cost me about $1600 with parts and labor. But now im at 84k and not a single problem since then except sometimes i have to force the shifter into gear (not sure if theres a way this can be lubed up or not) but other than that no problems.

Hope you can find yours man, take it to the place where you bought it and ask. it doesnt hurt.

#9 ·
Joey is 110% right :) some can get a good number of kms out of a
Oem clutch, and some can't make it over 50,000km. I paid 350 ish for my spec stage 2 and 200 for the throw out bearing. I went the extra and got the fidenza lwfw for 400 as well. If you do the work yourself it will be less then a grand. But to a shop it's a 8-13 hr job, at 80-125 per shop hr. that's what makes it so pricey, so if your bro can help get fine too and save BIG on labour :). I got 184,000km out of my stock clutch with one previous owner. I'm at 230,000km now and drive her for what she was built to do :D. The clutch has only three operations. 1) ingaged 2) grabbing 3) not ingaged. So as long as your foot isn't on the clutch pedal it will go a long way. Take it out of gear, and leave your foot off at lights ect.

#13 ·
Joey is 110% right :) some can get a good number of kms out of a
Oem clutch, and some can't make it over 50,000km. I paid 350 ish for my spec stage 2 and 200 for the throw out bearing. I went the extra and got the fidenza lwfw for 400 as well. If you do the work yourself it will be less then a grand. But to a shop it's a 8-13 hr job, at 80-125 per shop hr. that's what makes it so pricey, so if your bro can help get fine too and save BIG on labour :). I got 184,000km out of my stock clutch with one previous owner. I'm at 230,000km now and drive her for what she was built to do :D. The clutch has only three operations. 1) ingaged 2) grabbing 3) not ingaged. So as long as your foot isn't on the clutch pedal it will go a long way. Take it out of gear, and leave your foot off at lights ect.
$200 for your throwout bearing?! Jeez, that sounds high!

#10 ·
O one last thing sorry. The BREAK in is extremely important, swollow your pride if some asshole wants you too race or accelerat faster then you should. Take it easy and it will last a long time. But if you deside that you can afford a new system every 30-60,000 miles go ahead. Lol what I did for break in was, first 250km very very slow accelerating and nothing over 2200 rpm then for the next 250km very slow acceleration and nothing over 2500rpm then from 500-800km slow acceleration and nothing over 3000rpm for 800-1100km a little slower then normal acceleration and nothing over 3500rpm then from 1100-1500km normal driving with absolute no launching and nothing over 4300rpm then for 1500km to 1600km start getting on it as if you normally drive. With no launching ! After that it's completely broken in :D and slowly start launching it till you feel confident it's good to go :). I have a gt, just noticed you have a gs. So maybe this is over kill ? But it's IMO

#11 ·
Mines always grabbed late at the top since I bought it 4 yrs ago with only 9K on it, I now have 80,000K and it doesn't slip. I bought an aftermarket clutch kit last year just in case, still sitting in my gagage, as long as it doesn't slip I wouldn't worry about it,But if it does bother you, Clutchmaster Stage 1 kit is around $360.00 and a decent shop should charge you around $350.00-- $400.00 to install, not sure about flywheel resurfacing cost--- CHOP

#12 ·
thanks guys for all this info! and chop yeh its just catching really late for me but i may buy a new spec stage 1 or 2 just to be safe and have it on hand

and dream thanks for the info and people do try to race all the time bc my car "looks fast" but i normally blow them off! :,( GS problems :( hahaha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.