Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings. I have a 2107 Spyder GT with 98.5K miles and manual transmission. Service Engine Soon light is not lit. However, I get a B1318 code that the scanner calls "Valve Actuation." There is no listing for that code in the factory service manual. If I clear it, it comes right back after one start cycle.

In addition to the code, I can hear a small squeal during hard acceleration. I've checked both drive belts and I do not believe the sound is belt slippage.

Any ideas about the B1318 code and/or the squeal?

Thank you.

·
2,161 Posts
I checked the factory service book and it’s not an airbag code

We need to know what module is showing that code

What scan tool are you using?

·
Basically Stock
5,855 Posts
Just for fun, is it that actuator valve in your intake for the intake resonator? I'm not sure what parameters cause it to open, but if you played with it maybe you could find out

Edit: found a test procedure. for one, it should have 29-35ohms resistance across the pins for that solenoid. Two, when given a 12v signal it should hold vacuum in its chamber. There's a nipple on it for a vacuum pump if you have one. Without voltage it should allow free passage of air and hold no vacuum.

There are so many actuators. This is just barely an educated guess without having seen or heard it, or knowing what's been done to the car. Online suggests it may be an airbag code though, in which cause I have no idea what valve they're talking about. I could find no info in any professional software relating to the code, and lack of positive ID doesn't make it not an airbag code to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the replies.

I replaced the timing belt about a year ago. How could a timing belt be "Slipping?" If it slipped, bad things would be happening or have already happened.

I am using the "Torque Pro" app and a Bluetooth-connected scanner to pull the codes. A Pennsylvania state inspection with whatever tool the inspectors use pulled the same code. I am unsure about how to know what module issued the code. The scanner calls it a "Body" code.

·
2,161 Posts
I’ve got this:

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diagli...=diaglink+diy&qid=1562021196&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Comes with one free manufacturer, u buy more for $10 each, accepts PayPal, but it scans all manufacturer specific modules and codes just like the dealer scanners

Can do oil change light resets too, and on some cars activate the ABS pump to bleed the module on my Subaru WRX and GM trucks and stuff, just depends

It’s cheap for what it can do, because it’s chinese and they reverse engineered dealer tools to copy them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts