Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this site and need some help. I've looked for threads and Googled for help but none seem to have the exact problem I'm having.

I have a 2009 Eclipse GS auto with about 200k miles on it. For the past 5 months or so it has been having a issue starting. When I turn the key it either does nothing or starts very slowly. Seems to start slightly better when the car is cold but still slow. At first I thought it was the battery so I had that replaced and cleaned up the connections. I also replaced the starter and still have the problem. I've had my alternator checked as well as all grounds and everything is good. Their are no check engine lights or codes. The car runs surprisingly smooth and quiet for having almost 200k on it. It hasn't left me stuck and has started every time so far. Starts slower after I turn it off then back on after a quick stop. Sometimes it cranks slow as if the battery completely dies but ends up starting. Does anyone have an idea?

Please help! Thanks

·
Not Your Friendo
1,458 Posts
I had these symptoms on my RSX once. Weak cranking that felt like a dying battery that turned out to be the starter.

Here are a few things to double check, all which should be free:
Check battery voltage directly from battery
Check battery voltage with your leads on the terminal connectors
Check that fuse under the red cap on the positive end of the battery
Check the starter connectors
Check the starter by direct wiring
Check the teeth on your torque converter/flywheel (Take off the cover between transmission and the engine block near the oil pan)

I know you've replaced some of these parts but it seems like your problem is isolated to starting, which is kind of a glass half full situation. On the bright side, you know where to start looking. Its rare but some new replacement parts do come defective, which is why I'll recommend directly wiring your starter off car to see how strong it can spin. Keep your fingers safe.

Theres other things you can do like check compression in the case of sticky piston rings or checking your spark plugs but that doesn't sound like the case here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts