Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am one of the few people lifting their Eclipse instead of lowering it!

Yesterday I rebuilt some Endeavor struts with new shocks and install them in the rear. I had to use a bottle jack to "open" the control arm enough to fit them, it was tight.

With the strut completely removed, what causes resistance when lifting or lowering the control arm? It feels like a bushing(s). Can I loosen anything to "reset" the tension to it's new position? Will it mess up the alignment? (I will get it aligned anyway).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured it out, various bushings were tightened so they don't rotate, but flex instead. I loosened them, installed my struts, then tightened them back in the new position. I recently replaced Al lthe bushings up front, as you can see from the pic, it's just about time to do the rear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds like a worthwhile method for lowered cars as well, to set a new neutral.

But we're yours seized, or is it part of the design? I've had them off before but never paid attention to that in fairness
It looks like part of the design. The bushings have a metal sleeve inside that is compressed when torque is applied to the bolts, preventing any rotation. So it acts upon forces similar to shocks and springs, it will try to return to position of least resistance (like a stretched rubber band).

So indeed this would definitely benefit lowered cars as well. I'm not sure by how muc, but it would increase the lifespan of the bushing if it wasn't constantly in a stressed position.

This is probably why in nearly all suspension upgrade/repairs they say something like "reinstall wheels, lower the vehicle and finish torquing to specifications".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the Eclipse on a 3-day overlanding adventure this weekend. Zero issues with the Endeavor suspension.
IMG_20210531_085506__01.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts