Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
So I have a problem with my top. It is making a grinding sound at the end of the top-up and top-down cycle when I go to put it up or down. Actually, it sounds like its slipping, but it's definitely under stress. I put the top up halfway and looked around, and found what looks like a hydraulic leak in the cavity where the top folds down into, on the left (driver) side of the car, and right next to the window. UPDATE: I had just gone out to the car to see if I could elevate it and snap a photo to better show you guys what I mean, but things have gone bad to worse in the last 15 minutes. This must have just started because a couple of days ago I noticed a smell in the cabin of some engine-related fluid that I couldn't quite put my finger on, and there was nothing amiss in the engine bay, so I was at a loss. Now I know it was a convertible top issue. The pool of clear hydraulic fluid clearly indicates I've got a large leak, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it or locate the leak. The motor sounds like it still wants to go, but without fluid, it'll fry up quickly. Where is the hydraulic fluid reservoir for the convertible top, and does anyone here have any advice on fixing this type of problem? Thank you guys in advance–any info is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I've got a seemingly slow leak in one of my hydraulic cylinders also. The only thing I found on a quick google search was to spend $200 to send it in and get it refurbished.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts