Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 09 Spyder gs and am wondering...is it common for the top to completely stop working? I've tried everything my limited knowledge knows to do. It worked fine a couple of days ago, but then I couldn't get it to go back up. I had to manually lift it up and hopefully I didn't make things worse. Is there a way to get the very back part to close flush with the tonneau cover? Also, is there any way to tell if I have an electrical or mechanical problem....or with my luck...both?? Sorry I didn't mean to write a book...newby here, so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have had the same problem for a year with my wife's 07 spyder back in Tampa. When we tried opening the top, it sounded and acted like it was in neutral. I can tell you I did see fluid dripping near the rear drivers wheel so I assumed in was a hydraulic leak...might want to look for leaks near your back wheel areas and behind the backseat.

Finding someone to work on it was a pain. After a few months we found someone..it worked for a few times but failed again (bad repairman).

Now we are near the KC MO area and are looking again for someone. I wish you luck because Mitsubishi told me it doesn't do Mitsubishi convertible repair.

We are even open to converting it too a manual process only. Ugg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have had the same problem for a year with my wife's 07 spyder back in Tampa. When we tried opening the top, it sounded and acted like it was in neutral. I can tell you I did see fluid dripping near the rear drivers wheel so I assumed in was a hydraulic leak...might want to look for leaks near your back wheel areas and behind the backseat.

Finding someone to work on it was a pain. After a few months we found someone..it worked for a few times but failed again (bad repairman).

Now we are near the KC MO area and are looking again for someone. I wish you luck because Mitsubishi told me it doesn't do Mitsubishi convertible repair.

I have a 09 Spyder gs and am wondering...is it common for the top to completely stop working? I've tried everything my limited knowledge knows to do. It worked fine a couple of days ago, but then I couldn't get it to go back up. I had to manually lift it up and hopefully I didn't make things worse. Is there a way to get the very back part to close flush with the tonneau cover? Also, is there any way to tell if I have an electrical or mechanical problem....or with my luck...both?? Sorry I didn't mean to write a book...newby here, so any and all help is greatly appreciated.
I had the same issue with my 97. Pull off the rear speaker cover and you will see a level. Push it to the opposite side and the top should operate properly.
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 07 Spyder and had this same problem when I purchased it. If you didn't do anything but just pull the top closed there is a good chance you damaged something else.
Here is the correct procedure to get the top closed without damaging any components:
1) remove the rear speaker cover and behind you will find a right angle wrench about 7" x 6"
2) remove the rear speaker
3) Behind the rear speaker you will see the pump, it may be covered with foam and have 2 straps holding it in place
4) remove the straps and on top of the pump you will see a T-Handle, turn it 2 turns counterclockwise( you may need to use pliers to do this it can be very tight, take care not to break the T-Handle) this will remove the pressure from the system
5) above the speaker opening you will see a mechanism that moves from left to right or right to left, this is the device that locks or unlocks the Hard Tonneau Cover, use the wrench from #1 above to move the mechanism all the way to the right. This will release the lock. You may find that you have to hold it in place an pull cover at the same time.
6) Lift the Hard Tonneau Cover very slowly to the most upright position, if you encounter too much resistance open the T-Handle another turn until the resistance is removed. Once the cover is fully opened you will need to have someone hold in place or secure it open with a strap.
7) Stand on the rear seat and grab the Hand Hold on the top and pull towards the Hood. It will move freely for a couple of feet and then you will feel resistance but pull it through all the way to the point that you can latch it to the Windshield BUT don't latch it yet. Just let the pins slide into the holes.
8) Lift up on the backside of the top so that the Rear Window is as far forward as it can go.
9) Release the Hard Tonneau and let it fall into place. You may need to move the latch mechanism for it to fall into place and then move the mechanism all the way to the left to lock it in place.
10) Release the Rear Window an let it fall towards the Hard Tonneau Cover. It won't go all the way down.
11) Lift the inside of the Top Cover on the left or the right and in the framework of the cover you will see an opening the size of the wrench used previously. Insert the wrench into this opening and push up towards the trunk. Do this on both sides to get the top to seal to the Hard Tonneau.
12) Secure the latches at the top of the windshield.
13) Check the level of fluid in the reservoir, behind rear seat, and top it off if needed. Use Pentosin CHF 11S Prod #1405116 Power Steering Fluid, Chrysler MS-11655B or equivalent. Don't use just any Power Steering Fluid.
14) Move T-Handle to original position.
15) Return Rear Speaker and cover to original position or leave out until you know top has returned to normal operation.

The causes for this failure could be a bad sensor, low fluid, air in fluid lines, bad block seal or a bad electrical connection. All of the connections for the fluid have a rubber O-ring seal that may need replacement. Some of mine no longer existed when I removed the connections. If you need these seals or sensors or blocks you can purchase through Top Hydraulics in Oregon (541)902-3214.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts