Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
21 - 40 of 90 Posts
Flipper Door Mechanism

Does anyone know if the flipper door is strickly mechanically operated with a cable, or are there hydraulics involved?
I am speaking about the one with a piece of flat plastic molding attatched, but the door is
only visable when the top is in down position. Parts of the actual flipper broke off & i am hoping that replacing it will just involve nuts & bolts.........

I love my spyder !!

Sorry, I have a hard top... So I did a search for you and can only hope this information will help, or maybe someone with a top will chime-in that can answer your question. I believe this area is manically, Some years ago, we had a member who got a child seat belt caught in this area and had to remove said part to get the belt out.

http://club4g.org/board/gtsearch.ph...b4g.org/board/search.php?searchid=5339113&ss=

Terzport,
Do u know if the flipper door is strickly mechanically operated with a cable, or are there hydraulics involved?
I am speaking about the one with a piece of flat plastic molding attatched, but the door is
only visable when the top is in down position. Parts of the actual flipper broke off & i am hoping that replacing it will just involve nuts & bolts.........

Thx, Sherry

Like I said I'm pretty sure this is mechanical, but I do have a hard top and I'm going by memory.

I hope a spider member chimes-in, there seems to be a big mystery about the convertible and problem resolves for said top. Seems people do have problems with their tops, but fail to post their fixes.

It may take another day, or two for some spider members to join in on this conversation. I/We don't have a manual for the operation of the convertible top, I wish we did. We have a Eclipse Factory Service Manual that covers everything on our Eclipse, but the only thing not in that manual is the convertible top!!

Discussion starter · #26 ·
It's mechanically operated. One end of the cable attaches to the flipper door, the other is attached to the linkage near the rotary hydraulic actuator that raises and lowers the top.

I'm an engineer from the company that supplied the top to Mitsubishi. Any questions, I'll see them in this thread since I am subscribed to it.

Thx Slipangle & Clovisman

Thx so much, my neighbor said if i bought the part he could put it on, if it is strickly mechanical i am willing to try, as i can visually see that there is a kink in the cable that controls the flipper door.

So glad i found Club4g!

dumb question, but does anyone have a picture of where the 2 release points for the 5th bow are?

my top doesn't want to go down, and googling around it sounds exactly like the 5th bow sensor problem that seems to be pretty common, and one of the pages i came across talked about how to manually open the top and check for a bad splice on the wiring.

justanswer.com/mitsubishi/7nw1g-mitsubishi-eclipse-spyder-gs-hello-friendsi-problem.html

the page had a ton of pictures of everything EXCEPT where the actual release points were. i found the hidden tool behind the sub just fine, and the release point above the sub for the tonneau, but am not seeing anything that the tool fits into for the other 2 release points.

if it makes any difference, my eclipse is a 2008.

---edit---

just an update, i did manage to find those release points and get the top down. i'll take some pictures later so other people have an idea of where they are.

as to the problem i was having, here is where it stands:

1. as i was manually opening the top, i wasn't able to get the tonneau to lift open, however after the 5th bow was up, my top open button magically started working!

2. i let it open to the point where i could get at the wiring for the sensors. i unplugged the one on the passenger side, unraveled the connector some and started cutting back the plastic shielding. i went pretty far, but wasn't able to find the splice before it got dark. how far away from the silver cylinder is the splice point? i'm at a point where it's getting difficult to work on the wire because it's getting pretty crowded, but i haven't reached the two zip ties yet. up to this point, both wires in the connector have been solid, and i haven't seen any splices.

3. when i decided to call it a night due to the darkness (thanks end of summer :( ), i used the close top button and everything worked perfectly, aside from the fact i ran into the same issue that caused the whole problem to begin with. my windows wouldn't close after the top went up, turning off the car and turning it back on fixed my windows, but now the top doesn't want to open. (i'm expecting that if i try manually again, i'll experience the same thing)

anything specific i should keep my eyes open for next time i open it up and try to find that splice point?

---2nd edit----

problem solved. found the splice, it was popped. soldered back together and the top works like new.

On the hard top and I'm sure the convertible there is what we call a short-stroke reset. With the top all the way up and locked, roll one window down at a time, hold the down button until you hear a click (10 Seconds). Release the down window button. Now roll the window up holding it in the up position until you hear a click (10 Seconds). That window is now reset. Do this with all four windows. With all four windows reset, this should reset the ECU for your top and also help with the lowering and raising of the top.

It's mechanically operated. One end of the cable attaches to the flipper door, the other is attached to the linkage near the rotary hydraulic actuator that raises and lowers the top.

I'm an engineer from the company that supplied the top to Mitsubishi. Any questions, I'll see them in this thread since I am subscribed to it.
Slipangle,

My daughter's 2007 Spyder had one of the flipper doors break off, while closing the top, because it didn't close as fast as the other one. Is there a way to adjust the timing of the flipper doors?

Thanks

Slipangle,

My daughter's 2007 Spyder had one of the flipper doors break off, while closing the top, because it didn't close as fast as the other one. Is there a way to adjust the timing of the flipper doors?

Thanks
Yes, when you replace the door you should be able to see how to make adjustments.

07 Spyder here, I saw an earlier post where the tannau cover opened, rag top opened and went in the compartment, then top wouldn't close. I had that problem today, so I carefully forced the tannau cover closed. Now the top light flashes and beeps and nothing works.
Any help would be appreciated as the top is down, I have no garage, it I'm sure it'll snow soon because of this.

OK, the owner's manual is a wonderful thing, I got it closed but now the emergency pressure release is open and I'm guessing it won't operate like that. The cover closes first and covers the valve, how do I close it now?

Michael

After a couple of trys, I got the tannau cover open and the window open to 90' where it froze the first time, closed the valve and got the top closed with the inside button. Opened and closed it again, it worked fine. It's closed and there're it'll stay until spring.

Do Not open till Spring, LOL!!

Can you do us a favor and take a couple pictures for us, like how to access the panel, and where the valve is located. There is no information in the Eclipse Factor Service Manual, and very little information to give Spyder owners when they have a problem. For us hard top guys it really doesn't matter, but then again we would like to be able to help when there is a problem, and no Spyder Man around... LOL!!!

Thanks
John

Actually the manual is pretty clear on page 3-49 thru 3-59 on how to operate the top manually.
I don't think the manual is Spyder specific, mine says 2007 Eclipse & Eclipse Spyder. I'd be glad to write something up, but it would take some time.
Do me a favor and check your manual and see if there is a "Convertible Top" section in the index.

Basically behind the woffer cover and above the speaker is a large allen wrench (emergency tool), above the speaker is a hex nut that slides the lock mechanism about 3 inches side to side to lock and unlock the tonneau cover.

Open the cover and slide the tool into the hinge to keep it up. The top will pull up and down by hand, at the bottom of the space where the top is stowed is a 4" square cover that reads "Only open for manual or emergency top operation" or something close to that. Under that cover is a small "T" handle that turns to open and close the valve that releases the pressure to let the back window open and close. The window is heavy, so if you're releasing the pressure to close the window, hold it with one hand so it doesn't drop on your arm.

When closing the top, either manually or automatically, the tonneau cover closes first then the rear window closes over the top of the cover.
There's more specific info about removing straps and using the tool to force the 4-5 rib open and closed.

Let me know if you need more info.

Michael

2007 mits spyder top won't close all the way... PLEASE

long story short I was sold a car with a bad sensor on the converable top (always beeping saying it wasn't up all the way when it was), they failed to fix it or return any of my phone calls and 2 weeks ago I was driving it on the highway and the top flew open, and now the shop is wanting to call it in at a totalled vehicle since I got the car for 10 grand and the converable is 11 grand and "it needs a new top" and no shop knows what the actual problem is. they took it to 3 'mits dealerships and it all comes back "unknown" why it won't work or what the problem is ?!? the top will go down but won't go up and latch correctly. the 5 bar where the glass is doesn't lay flush it has like a 2 inch opening !? I don't want it to be called into the insurance when it isn't my fault. I didn't do anything. I just want my
car fixed 😫😫😫😫

Flipper door

Does anyone know if the flipper door is strickly mechanically operated with a cable, or are there hydraulics involved?

I love my spyder !!

I am pretty sure it's operated by a cable. I need to get 2 of the smaller flaps towards the inside of the car. They are missing and I just saw them in a video. Now I just have a hole in it's place.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts