Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts
dumb question, but does anyone have a picture of where the 2 release points for the 5th bow are?

my top doesn't want to go down, and googling around it sounds exactly like the 5th bow sensor problem that seems to be pretty common, and one of the pages i came across talked about how to manually open the top and check for a bad splice on the wiring.

justanswer.com/mitsubishi/7nw1g-mitsubishi-eclipse-spyder-gs-hello-friendsi-problem.html

the page had a ton of pictures of everything EXCEPT where the actual release points were. i found the hidden tool behind the sub just fine, and the release point above the sub for the tonneau, but am not seeing anything that the tool fits into for the other 2 release points.

if it makes any difference, my eclipse is a 2008.

---edit---

just an update, i did manage to find those release points and get the top down. i'll take some pictures later so other people have an idea of where they are.

as to the problem i was having, here is where it stands:

1. as i was manually opening the top, i wasn't able to get the tonneau to lift open, however after the 5th bow was up, my top open button magically started working!

2. i let it open to the point where i could get at the wiring for the sensors. i unplugged the one on the passenger side, unraveled the connector some and started cutting back the plastic shielding. i went pretty far, but wasn't able to find the splice before it got dark. how far away from the silver cylinder is the splice point? i'm at a point where it's getting difficult to work on the wire because it's getting pretty crowded, but i haven't reached the two zip ties yet. up to this point, both wires in the connector have been solid, and i haven't seen any splices.

3. when i decided to call it a night due to the darkness (thanks end of summer :( ), i used the close top button and everything worked perfectly, aside from the fact i ran into the same issue that caused the whole problem to begin with. my windows wouldn't close after the top went up, turning off the car and turning it back on fixed my windows, but now the top doesn't want to open. (i'm expecting that if i try manually again, i'll experience the same thing)

anything specific i should keep my eyes open for next time i open it up and try to find that splice point?

---2nd edit----

problem solved. found the splice, it was popped. soldered back together and the top works like new.
This is the exact problem i've been having! Did you ever get around to doing those pictures?

On the hard top and I'm sure the convertible there is what we call a short-stroke reset. With the top all the way up and locked, roll one window down at a time, hold the down button until you hear a click (10 Seconds). Release the down window button. Now roll the window up holding it in the up position until you hear a click (10 Seconds). That window is now reset. Do this with all four windows. With all four windows reset, this should reset the ECU for your top and also help with the lowering and raising of the top.
The front and back windows on my convertible go down at the same time, so how would I be able to reset the back ones if they always go down with the front ones?

I have a question.......
I have a 2007 Convertible GS 2.4l spyder and recently had to get a diagnostics test done at the dealership. They said I had to replace a few modules including the CONVERTIBLE TOP ECU. I can find no videos on where this is located on my vehicle. Anyone know where this located and how I can get to it? Appreciate the help in advance.....

I posted this TSB link in response to a few other threads but will post here as well. TSB with Information on top operation and troubleshooting. Now that I am past 5 posts- BAM the direct link.

http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/Eclipse TSB/tsb0642a002.pdf

In terms of compatible Hydraulic Fluid for the top, I found this in Mitsubishi 3000 GT/Stealth forum citing the FSM https://www.3si.org/forum/f1/i-need-hydraulic-fluid-spyder-top-705554/ :
The system requires MIL-H-5606 Aviation Hydraulic Fluid or equivalent.

Examples in the Spyder (referring to VR4 NOT Eclipse) service manual are:
Mobil Aero HFA
Aeroshell Fluid 4
Royco 756

The retractable hard top hydraulic system takes 1.03qt
The hard tonneau cover hydraulic system takes 0.65qt

ASC designed and made the convertible tops for the 3000 GT and the Eclipse. I doubt they re-invented the wheel where the fluid is concerned. The Mitsu fluid is likely just one of these fluids or similar spec rebranded. DISCLAIMER: I have no confirmation the Eclipse uses the same fluid however. I tried googling for an MSDS for the Mitsubishi fluid but came up empty.

I have only had my car a few days now and the top works. I however have noticed a stain on the muffler that looks like oil leaked on it so I likely have a leak to sort out as nothing else in the back of the car has oil in it.

Flappers

Just bought a 07 spyder. At the dealership I wanted to try the top. It was under 32 degrees. It went down but the cover wouldn't close. The Engineer said when flappers close or open , does it have switch in the hinge of the flapper. To tell the computer to close the cover. Cause today I opened the top. It was 40degrees . Did same thing at dealership. They brought it inside last week when I bought it and said I was right it won't work below 32. They got it to close by the switch. Supposedly. Messed with it today, my flapper cable stay is broken so I was wondering that's why cover won't close. Also the one guy is right we need diagrams or pictures of switches and such. Any help would be appreciated

So it appears the ink I posted to the the Convertible top operation above is now dead and doesn't point to the TSB anymore. Fortunately I downloaded it so now I am posting it here. There are two I have attached. One describes operation and some troubleshooting. The second one describes adjustments to cure some wear spots in the fabric. These are the only two online documents I have found for the Spyder. Yes it is right in the owner's manual, do not operate the top below 32F 0C.

Tearstone site often linked has the 2006 4G Service manual, but they don't have the 2007 supplement with the Spyder Convertible top covered. I have looked for it online and haven't found it. A Mitsubishi dealer should be able to scan the top diagnostic module to determine which micro switch isn't closing.

If I understand correctly, the top goes all the way down but the Tonneau cover won't close. Does it stay fully upright or does it close partially? If I had to guess there is a microswitch that gives the confirmation beep when the top is fully down. there is also a beep that confirms when it is fully closed. Follow the cable from the broken flapper and see it there is a micro switch at the other end. Also check the fluid and check that the tonneau cylinder isn't leaking. Mine started leaking and I had it rebuilt. The motor and fluid reservoir are below the plastic tray the top folds down in to.

On another note. You can buy the convertible top fluid from Mitsubishi, but it is expensive through them. 119.00 list for roughly a pint, I got it for 80.00. Having bought it recently myself, it came to me in a box with the MSDS. I am looking in to acquiring direct from the manufacturer and making available if there is enough interest.

Attachments

Got off work today, now top won't go down . I'm going to try to unlock the 5th bow and push the button again. If I get it down I'll look for that flapper door switch. And check fluid level . I didn't know they were hiding it underneath the well area.

Just hoping this thread isn’t dead. 2007 Spyder GT. Bought it with a top that doesn’t work. Back part of top was not closed all the way. It had about a 1/4 inch gap. The beeping sound would go off a few times a day while driving around. The switch for the top would not respond at all. I took out the back speaker, gave the thing a half a crank with the “T” bar. The switch actually made the back part of the top fully close tight. I can now hear the motor whining when I push the switch but the tonneau cover does not lift up and the top does not move. I’m the furthest thing from a mechanic but should I try a sensor or the wiring for the actuator that lifts the tonneau cover first?

I would greatly appreciate any help, tips or advice. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. This thread has given me a lot of ideas and hope.🙏🏼😁

Thread isn't "dead" but not a lot these convertibles and even less owners of them are members and posting here. Your first step should be to find the instructions for fully opening the top manually. Its in your owner's manual if you got it with the car. May also be in one of the two TSB's I posted above but don't recall at the moment.

I assume from your description that the top is all the way up (closed) now correct? You have the windshield latches unlatched and press the down button and only hear the motor whirring? Are your windows going down automatically when you press the down button?? They should. In my car, convertible top motor doesn't run and top doesn't start to move until the windows are fully down. If you can hear the pump motor running when pushing the down button, that is an indication that the sensors that allow the top to open are engaged and satisfied.

If the answer to first three questions above is yes and top isn't opening my suggestion would be to check the fluid first before doing anything else. In order to check the fluid you will need to manually open the the top but not all the way. Following the manual top opening instructions you will need the tool from behind the speaker you used to snug the top shut.

When manually opening the top, All the windows have to be down. Follow the instructions. The rear portion of the top where the window is raises up and and toward the front first, then the tonneau cover lifts. Once you have it opened manually to the point that rear of the top is up and the tonneau is open fully, stop and support it so it doesn't fall on you. You will need to pull out the plastic tray inside the open area where the top folds. The pump motor and the reservoir are located under that plastic tray. There is an insulating piece secured with zip ties over the pump motor and reservoir. Remove that and you will see the reservoir. Check fluid level and if it is low, fill to the line. Fully close the top manually and raise the windows back up. Test. If the fluid was really low or empty, you may need to manually (literally manually) cycle the top from full open to full closed a few times to purge air and fluid through the lines. Re-check fluid level.

If it was low on fluid and you see oil in the plastic tray, odds are the tonneau lift cylinder shaft seal is leaking. Mine started leaking and I had it rebuilt. I would get the top working first. Unless its leaking really bad you should be able to get it going up and down.

I just picked up a low mileage 08 gs spyder from a family friend's son. He rarely used the convertible top & owned the car 9 years. I went to put the top down, and it opened fine. Everything was perfect. Went to close it, and I could push the button all day, but it did nothing after opening the hardshell cover. Having had convertible cars before, I said screw it and put all my weight into lifting the top out and halfway up, until the button worked and it closed. I don't have the owners manual (previous owner is looking for it) so until then, can anyone give me an idea on this? It's been over a decade since I have owned a Drop top, so I'm beyond rusty.

I just picked up a low mileage 08 gs spyder from a family friend's son. He rarely used the convertible top & owned the car 9 years. I went to put the top down, and it opened fine. Everything was perfect. Went to close it, and I could push the button all day, but it did nothing after opening the hardshell cover. Having had convertible cars before, I said screw it and put all my weight into lifting the top out and halfway up, until the button worked and it closed. I don't have the owners manual (previous owner is looking for it) so until then, can anyone give me an idea on this? It's been over a decade since I have owned a Drop top, so I'm beyond rusty.
My guess is that the hydraulic fluid in the pump that pushes the top up is bad or low, or the whole pump is shot
The likely place for it in most convertibles is behind the rear seat backs

How do I remove those?
Pop the bottoms up by pulling on the front of the cushion in the location of between the legs of someone if they were siting there, might need a flathead to pry it

then once the bottom is off you can unbolt the back seat panels

at least that’s how it is on my hardtop, idk if the Spyder is different it might be

41 - 60 of 90 Posts