Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to do a full coolant flush on my 2008 Eclipse GT tomorrow and as the manual states you don't just drain the coolant from the radiator. There are actually two bolts on the engine block, both front and back, to drain all the fluid out completely. My question is, is it necessary to drain from the block, or can I just do it from the radiator? Let me know how you guys did it yourself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm attempting to do a full coolant flush on my 2008 Eclipse GT tomorrow and as the manual states you don't just drain the coolant from the radiator. There are actually two bolts on the engine block, both front and back, to drain all the fluid out completely. My question is, is it necessary to drain from the block, or can I just do it from the radiator? Let me know how you guys did it yourself.
You won't be able to get at the bolts on the engine block. Get a flushing tee from your automotive store and install it on the hose going into the heater core. From there, you can use a garden hose to push the coolant out while flushing the heater core as well.

If you're not familiar with the garden hose method, just follow these instructions and you'll be good.

https://youtu.be/g8YZF5cW7-A

Make sure your pets don't get anywhere near the antifreeze.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You won't be able to get at the bolts on the engine block. Get a flushing tee from your automotive store and install it on the hose going into the heater core. From there, you can use a garden hose to push the coolant out while flushing the heater core as well.

If you're not familiar with the garden hose method, just follow these instructions and you'll be good.

https://youtu.be/g8YZF5cW7-A

Make sure your pets don't get anywhere near the antifreeze.
Why not? The pictures are clear where they are in the service manual, and one guy on here said he was able to get the one in the front but the back was hard to get through? So I'm guessing it is possible. Should I just do it from the radiator then like ChrisFix? But does this get all the radiator coolant out?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why not? The pictures are clear where they are in the service manual, and one guy on here said he was able to get the one in the front but the back was hard to get through? So I'm guessing it is possible. Should I just do it from the radiator then like ChrisFix? But does this get all the radiator coolant out?
They are on the block behind the exhaust manifolds.

Yes, you can get the majority of the coolant out as per the video...he's using the water pump to push the remainder out.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts