Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a FWD 2011 eclipse was wondering how much it end up costing to convert it to AWD. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That bad huh? Lmao I’ve heard it isn’t worth it cause it can be costly I just wanted to get an idea of the price range.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,168 Posts
About $5000 for a GS manual with all used parts, mixed from Evo partouts and what you can get at junkyards
GS auto, add another couple thousand
GT manual, start around $6000.
GT auto has two options. Endeavor or Evo. Evo, start at $7000 in your budget. Endeavor, you should be able to buy a running parts car with most of what you need for $1000-$2000 in fair mechanical shape.

·
TheSlow4g
2007 GS SE Turbo (In Progress)
148 Posts
I got a FWD 2011 eclipse was wondering how much it end up costing to convert it to AWD. Any ideas?
Put it this way.. I'm like 8k in parts and I'm no where near finished. To be fair, a lot of that went toward turbo parts. But, it's going to be extremely expensive and time consuming. Unless you're willing to dump at least 10k into your car I would recommend just buying an awd car. Would be cheaper at the end of the day.

·
2,690 Posts
Put it this way.. Unless you're willing to dump at least 10k into your car I would recommend just buying an awd car. Would be cheaper at the end of the day.
This. Exactly this. If you want AWD, buy an AWD car (Evo, WRX, STi, Focus RS, GTR (including old Skyline if you're into importing), (import a Galant VR4 or a Celica AWD turbo) list goes on...)

·
TheSlow4g
148 Posts
Why do you want to convert to awd anyway? You want more power? Car that's better in winter? I'm just curious. Cause unless you're making over 500hp like me and Saber, it's not even worth considering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah I see, I'd just rather keep it fwd in that case. I was looking to do a turbo build, awd just performs better than fwd in any case. But was considering the labour and money to convert it makes more sense to keep it as is.

·
TheSlow4g
148 Posts
Ah I see, I'd just rather keep it fwd in that case. I was looking to do a turbo build, awd just performs better than fwd in any case. But was considering the labour and money to convert it makes more sense to keep it as is.

Are you auto or manual?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GS auto had it for almost 6 months. I've heard the 4g69 can handle a lot of boost without having to modify any stock internals.

·
TheSlow4g
148 Posts
GS auto had it for almost 6 months. I've heard the 4g69 can handle a lot of boost without having to modify any stock internals.
4g69 handles boost great. But your auto trans won't. Most you can run is about 260hp before your trans will start to fail. Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's just the unfortunate truth. You can still run a smaller turbo at 8psi and have a fun little car, but sadly you won't be able to go above that 260 mark without some serious modification.

·
2,690 Posts
4g69 handles boost great. But your auto trans won't. Most you can run is about 260hp before your trans will start to fail. Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's just the unfortunate truth. You can still run a smaller turbo at 8psi and have a fun little car, but sadly you won't be able to go above that 260 mark without some serious modification.
+1

Not to mention, on a car with relatively low HP, AWD will just make it slower, more weight, more drive line components to push

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I've heard from some the farthest I can go is about 300-320. It is what it is, that's what I get for buying an auto lol.

·
TheSlow4g
148 Posts
If you want more power here are your options:
1.) Build the auto to 260hp. We will gladly help you, and it'll definitely still be a fun little car. You just won't be very fast.
2.) Buy a manual GS. That trans can handle significantly more power, and you won't have any issues. Also, Alex can tune in launch control for you
3.) Buy a faster car with a better platform.

No matter what you choose, I will support you and you can always talk to me or anyone else on here if you need help with anything. Sorry I had to be the one to deliver the bad news.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No bad news at all I suspected this before I bought the car. But thanks for all the suggestions the mitsubishi community is awesome. I was either considering modifying as is make as much power as you mentioned. Or I actually wanted to save up possibly sell it clean and try to import a car probably (evo mark 7, rx-7, or a supra which will probably cost me a arm and leg lol) does anyone have any experience in importing?

·
2,690 Posts
No bad news at all I suspected this before I bought the car. But thanks for all the suggestions the mitsubishi community is awesome. I was either considering modifying as is make as much power as you mentioned. Or I actually wanted to save up possibly sell it clean and try to import a car probably (evo mark 7, rx-7, or a supra which will probably cost me a arm and leg lol) does anyone have any experience in importing?
Montu Motors | Home
I know these guys in FL are reputable, stock was down due to COVID

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,168 Posts
I'd skip the RX-7. It takes HUGE money to make power with any reliability.

Evo, not so bad. Supra, even better.

Funny enough though, depending on power goals, you can do even better. Eg, a 1.8L turbo A4/Golf/Jetta will do 350hp on the stock motor with some torque delay tuned in. And you can get an old Golf to 2000lbs. 350hp, 2000lbs, fast. But absolutely pay attention to which trans you get. Eg, on a B6 A4, the 5 speed is half the size of the 6, and will die quickly above stock power when raced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bro, really if You want something just go for it man... Don't let anyone decide for You, look if you fail You fail, thats all because this is how the learning curve works, You fucking stand up and do it again, and again, and again but when it's done You prove everyone's wrong. And all of that because You don't give up. Bro, My advice, read a Lot, seek friendship with people that are working in the car community, invest time un learning new technics, and believe your car is going to be AWD at the end and more. Take care bro

·
2,690 Posts
Bro, really if You want something just go for it man... Don't let anyone decide for You, look if you fail You fail, thats all because this is how the learning curve works, You fucking stand up and do it again, and again, and again but when it's done You prove everyone's wrong. And all of that because You don't give up. Bro, My advice, read a Lot, seek friendship with people that are working in the car community, invest time un learning new technics, and believe your car is going to be AWD at the end and more. Take care bro
Well, if you start with a manual GS, sure

1 - 20 of 20 Posts