Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started my love for the eclipse about 8 or so months ago, back when I knew so little about cars that I asked my friend "Whats a clutch?" The eclipse acted as a gateway into my love for cars and motorsports. Through it, I've learned so much in such a short span of time, and I continue to learn more every single day. I now own my very own 4G, after months of hard work and a lot of saving.

But I can't be the only one, can I?

I lived in Colorado when my love for the 4G started, and moved back to Arizona a few months later. In both states, 4Gs (and other generation eclipses) were pretty few and far between. However, over the past month or two, I've noticed a complete resurgence. Time would have it where I'd see one, maybe two 4Gs a week. Now, I'm seeing them every single day. There are three in my apartment complex alone, another one parked across the street, one at my work, and I even see a beautiful yellow modded one drive by every time I commute back home. Thats 6 eclipses a day, compared to the 1-2 per week!

It almost seems as if the 4G is finally reaching that age where they're old enough to be affordable. Prices are declining from what I originally saw back in 2015. I got mine alone for $4500. Of course, you have the usual dealerships wanting upwards of 10k, but even those are starting to drop down to 8-9k. Could it be that, after almost 11 years since the first 4G rolled off the block, our beloved ride is reaching the affordability range of the average joe like me?

This could be good or bad, however. I'll admit it, my 4G is my first car ever. I'm young, and I only just started driving manual a week ago. I know I'm a responsible car owner, I've done my research, many months of it, and continue to do it to this day, but not everyone will. We could see a lot of young kids with dad's credit card and something to prove. Maybe this new affordability could cause many eclipses to be wrecked, or flood our forums with kids who play too much Need for Speed and think it works the same way in real life.

Or perhaps I'm just blowing hot air. Maybe I'm completely wrong, maybe its coincidence I'm seeing all these eclipses, and I just got a good deal on my own. Maybe we'll come back to this thread in a year or two and laugh at how wrong I was. It wouldn't be the first time!

But for me, the 4G means a lot. Sure its not as powerful as a camero or a mustang, maybe its FWD, weighs a ton, and loves to complain about O2 codes. But it has character, its unique, and for that I love it dearly. Even if the forum stays dead, I'll still be here posting like a lone man yelling into an empty room. Because for me, Tara is my gateway into cars, and I'm so excited to start this journey. :wub:

At any rate...

:blah: TL;DR Eclipse prices seem to be going down and more 4Gs are appearing on the streets. Could the 4G, and our forum, see a resurgence of new modders such as myself? What do you guys think? Am I completely wrong? I want to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for reading! If this is in the wrong section, I apologize!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hmm...you might have a point, but given that the 4G (particularly the GT trim) was never that popular when it was new, the fact that depreciation has now made it affordable doesn't seem like it would cause a resurgence. There's a finite number of them out there. Just because they're cheaper doesn't mean that there will be more of them now.

I think you're just experiencing a little bit of Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon. Now that you have an Eclipse, and you're invested in it, you're more likely to notice them. I always spot 4Gs around town, but before I owned one, I didn't. They were always there, though.

And if you'll allow me to be naysayer for a moment, I think there's an unfortunate side to the 4G depreciating, particularly since it was never that popular to begin with. There's already woeful aftermarket support for the 4G. It seems as if it's only likely to get worse. As the cars get cheaper and cheaper it becomes less and likely that owners will want to pour big $$$ into them, meaning less demand for aftermarket parts. Some big ticket items have already come and gone (Ripp Supercharger, RIP). And I'm very skeptical that more will come. I'm pretty sure that "Good News" post from a few weeks ago, for example, won't come to much. People spending 30K on a car can justify a few grand for a turbo kit. People spending 5K on one rarely can, and often couldn't afford it anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with my car, and I hope that this community thrives, as there's some helpful info here provided by helpful people. And I hope that 4G's find homes with people (like you) who are enthusiastic about them. But I'm afraid a resurgence might be a little optimistic.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...you might have a point, but given that the 4G (particularly the GT trim) was never that popular when it was new, the fact that depreciation has now made it affordable doesn't seem like it would cause a resurgence. There's a finite number of them out there. Just because they're cheaper doesn't mean that there will be more of them now.

I think you're just experiencing a little bit of Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon. Now that you have an Eclipse, and you're invested in it, you're more likely to notice them. I always spot 4Gs around town, but before I owned one, I didn't. They were always there, though.

And if you'll allow me to be naysayer for a moment, I think there's an unfortunate side to the 4G depreciating, particularly since it was never that popular to begin with. There's already woeful aftermarket support for the 4G. It seems as if it's only likely to get worse. As the cars get cheaper and cheaper it becomes less and likely that owners will want to pour big $$$ into them, meaning less demand for aftermarket parts. Some big ticket items have already come and gone (Ripp Supercharger, RIP). And I'm very skeptical that more will come. I'm pretty sure that "Good News" post from a few weeks ago, for example, won't come to much. People spending 30K on a car can justify a few grand for a turbo kit. People spending 5K on one rarely can, and often couldn't afford it anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with my car, and I hope that this community thrives, as there's some helpful info here provided by helpful people. And I hope that 4G's find homes with people (like you) who are enthusiastic about them. But I'm afraid a resurgence might be a little optimistic.
I like your outlook, it makes a lot of sense. I didn't think of it that way. But perhaps you're right. Maybe I am just blissfully in love with this car more than the average person looking to buy a car. In fact, I know I am, because I was berated at every turn leading up to buying my car.

I should buy my aftermarket parts now before they start rising in price...

Do you think, then, that in the future eclipses will get more expensive in the sense of being less common and therefore more rare, or less expensive because theres not much of a market for people wanting to buy them? Do you think if the rumors of Nissan taking over Mitsubishi are true, and in some weird cosmic event, the 5G comes into production, would a love for the 4G spark?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts