Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Eclipse GT Fanatic
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to take out my stock stereo deck. I got a new stereo (double DIN), which is nothing fancy (SoundStream: VRN-65HXB), housing kit (Metra: 99-7010) and wire harness (Metra: 70-7001). Everything seems good, however there are some wires I am not sure about and if anyone has a wire diagram or can point me to one I would greatly appreciate it. I'm curious what the connector is for I've put a red square around branching off the main harness connector that plugs into the back of the stock stereo?

I've never done a custom install like this, but it doesn't seem complicated. If anyone has experience doing this, please feel free to post some tips as far as how you did it.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ya, all cars came with rf. If you don't the previous owner took it out. Pop out your glove box and see if there is a amp.

·
Eclipse GT Fanatic
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Actually they didn't. It was an option when I bought my 06' Eclipse GT and I am the original owner. I opted for leather seats over the RF system.

·
Eclipse GT Fanatic
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the wire list 07clipse it did help, however all I needed to do was trust the Metra wire harness I purchased.

I decided to use bullet connectors (22-18) for usability.

I used a common wire crimper to to attach the connectors to my harness wires. Female connectors on my Metra harness wires and male connectors on my stereo harness wires.

Then I connected the Metra harness into the main connector and the stereo harnesses (male connectors) into the Metra harness (female connectors). Literally, you just match the colored wires with each other.

Then I just used my Metra housing kit to install my new stereo deck into. That involved a little more work though. I had to connect my radio antenna, GPS antenna (installed under the dash on a main chassis crossbar), route the female USB cord to my glove box and most importantly attached the grounding wire to the main chassis. Anyway, here's the finished installation and it all works great. The other connector I asked about in the beginning affected nothing and wasn't needed.

If anyone has technical questions about my upgrade, feel free to reply here or PM me. Happy New Year!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts