Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Cylinder head bolt studs/exhaust manifold mount

5K views 51 replies 6 participants last post by  Sleeping-Ana 
#1 ·
So I just received the my new RRE header for my 2.4 Eclipse and I was hoping to replace the rusted bolts studs coming out of the cylinder head that you slide the top 6 holes in the exhaust manifold onto...... now I’m not sure how difficult that would be while having it in the car because I definitely do not have a crane to hold to the engine...... but what I was wondering is if anyone here knew where I could find replacement studs and nuts or simply just knew the size of the stud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
But bassicly to take them out put 2 nuts on them tighten them togeather us the innter nut to losesn the stud the outter nut to tighten.

Use two wrenches one each nut (to make it faster can be done with one) but bassicly go back and forth with the two nuts until it brakes loose. And your good from there. Deffentily use pb blaster and rock them back and forth until they are loose so you dont snap them off

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
This! Overnight with some PB Blaster is what I’d suggest.

Then, as mentioned, you can pull them out and match them up to be sure. I’d use high temp anti-seize on the new ones... ;)

#17 ·
Same kit lol. I wanted to swap manifold bolts insted of studs but i didnt want to risk the threads. If it was a steel block i would have.

Thay are super easy to do. Just remember pb blast the hell out of them and id also say toss some heat in them propane torch works grate. At least you only have 8 right.?

#19 ·
Alright short thread goes in and I grabbed some high temp thread sealant but wym you wanted to change studs instead of bolts? There are only studs up top right?? And I have 6 studs up top coming out of block for the manifold to mount/slide onto but this kit only comes with 5 so I’m confused

#24 ·
Ohh alright bolts instead of studs
Yeah I was wondering about that but figured that wouldnt be recommended lol I really wish I could take a stuff out of the head and bring it in the store but I mean I would have to take my manifold off for that and this is my daily driver so only way I get to autozone to get things is with this car

RIP

#27 ·
I know all about that. Mine is my daily too. Also i was wrong yes you do have only 6 not 8. So if you wanted to do all 6 you would need 2 packs and you would have some spares. I needed 3 packs to cover all 14 of mine. Also here are the torque specs just ao you have them for the nuts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.