Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Debadge and rebadge lettering?

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Desert Rat 
#1 ·
I know there are many threads on debadging the lettering, however, I like showing off my eclipse lettering, but its silver... As far as I'm aware, the lettering is purely glued on. I want to remove it, paint it black, then reinstall it. Are there any methods of making sure it goes on in the EXACT same spot as when I took it off? Are there any tips for this? A certain type of glue I should use?

Thanks!

#2 ·
PLASTI DIP! I've seen some pretty bad "rebadges"... I plasti dipped mine black (no, it isn't bad if you do it right) before, and it looked great. I ended up removing it though because it wasn't symmetrical. Unless you have a really good way of recording where the letters were, not damaging them when you remove them, and ensuring they end up right where they started, you're gonna have a really bad time painting them...

#3 · (Edited)
When you take it off 99% chance the paint will be less faded under the lettering. Just put it on top of that

I had mine plasti dipped, but it shrunk in the sun pretty quick and mostly peeled off

Tips to remove: Take a heat gun, apply heat for about 10 seconds from a few inches away. Take a plastic putty knife and slowly wedge it under the lettering, not to force anything. As it heats up a bit more it will become very easy to remove.

I did 2 of mine painfully trying to heat and peel them by hand... Took the paint off that way. Putty knife for the rest, 0 damage, 0 blemishes

Put on a good layer of primer before painting. Paint likes to chip off hardcore

#7 ·
When you take it off 99% chance the paint will be less faded under the lettering. Just put it on top of that

Tips to remove: Take a heat gun, apply heat for about 10 seconds from a few inches away. Take a plastic putty knife and slowly wedge it under the lettering, not to force anything. As it heats up a bit more it will become very easy to remove.
I TOTALLY SPACED ON THE DISCOLORATION. I didn't notice it until I debadged mine, but that's a great idea. I really struggled to get my letters off in one piece though...

Also, I had no idea you could buy brand new lettering. I've thought about custom ordering some "ECLIPSE" lettering in a different font. maybe like the Lotus font would be cool.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I had figured there would be paint fade underneath the lettering, especially since I live in AZ where the sun eats away at car paint. I thought maybe I could take some kind of soap pencil or something similar and carefully outline the letters before removing them too? Then again, the heat gun + putty knife might wipe that way.

This is a project for some time in the future, but I wanted to know what I'd be getting myself into. And sanding + primer is always a 100% must for anything I ever paint :p

#5 ·
You can buy the "ECLIPSE" lettering from an OEM parts supplier. Its like a sticker with a top and bottom cover. It comes on a paper strip in the proper orientation/arrangement. You could peel the top cover, paint it, put a top cover back on after it dries, peel the bottom cover and apply it like you're supposed to. Just an idea, it's <$20 for a new badge of letters.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Ouch... pretty expensive for a little lettering... but I guess thats how OEM goes! I think measuring will be the way to go. My father is a carpenter so I'm sure hell have a few ideas, too.

All this support makes me want to do it soon... maybe I will :p

#12 ·
I just had another thought. Use a wax pencil to trace around each letter. Use a hair dryer and fishing line to remove the old letters. Clean them and paint them. Then just put new double sided tape on them and stick them back on. I think a gloss black would look really sweet with a set of gloss black tails/spoiler like I have. Make it look all classy like a Porsch...uh :biggrin:

...or a Camry :doh:

#13 ·
That was the first thing that went on mine...."eclipse emblem" would of done the triangles but riveted on (wont be long before that goes)don't like to advertise....they don't pay me any royalties, and don't get paid to advertise..so fuck them and make it my name brand....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.