Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, so i am having a hard time deciding whether i want to buy some coil overs or a carbon fiber hood.

My thoughts on both for you to help me decide.
I'm already sitting on tein s-tech springs soooo!

If i buy a hood i will be able to vent all that excess heat out and get rid of some weight to go a bit cooler in engine back and faster acceleration.(Car is turbo.)

OR

If i buy coil overs i will be able to get the car as low as i like my cars and slam it!
Then sell my 1 year old shocks and tein s tech which have about 4000 miles on them :/

What do you guys think. Go lower or go lighter?

·
1st Turbo 4g In Colorado
435 Posts
Go with a hood my brotha....100% honest, with my twincharged setup even with upgraded fans I would still almost overheat at idle but with the mod gt hood venting all my excess heat out the top did the trick...I'm still like damn I cant believe this worked kinda situation lol. I'm F-ing gravy now.... but you also cant beat adjustable ride height and comfort compared to springs!!! your choice?!?!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I personally think those CF hood designs are hideous (besides the stock shell one). If you're looking for a little cooling, why not install hood spacers for a fraction of a fraction of the cost?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont like spacers. Kills the nice body line :(. I even did a swap in friends honda where you should lift hood but i didnt. i modified the hell out of hood and mounts to make engine sit in that car and keep hood flat. I had to do this on my jeep for more airflow and i hated it but i had to as a 1970 RHD military jeep running a 355cid SBC built @ 380 hp on dyno my little radiator which was biggest 3 core i could fit in there still would heat up at lights.

Had to pull thermostat and vent up hood in back to allow it to stay cooler + running straight water & water wetter in the radiator hehe.

So now im thinking hood will do me best. BUT now which one :( i like mod gt hood but i also like the plain simple AIT RRS hood. Gotta decide.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you considered fiberglass? Would save a fair amount of weight and you can still get a vented one, plus with some of the saved money would put you close to getting the coils also

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've thought about fiberglass but thats still heavier than CF. Plus not much cheaper either way. I'd rather get CF just so i have to wash and wax car even more often :) except in this cold weather! My car is dirty and needs a washing anyone wanna wash it for me lol

·
Registered
707 Posts
Lmao...I heard that man...I'm by stl and my car looks pretty damn rough. Doesn't help being white either lol.
At least it's white during the winter mine's red shows every little bit of salt the minute it dries.

I was literally going to say run liquid nitrogen until helium was suggested.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Man it's kinda a pearl white and it shows EVERYTHING!! Lol...just washed it yesterday and it was pretty much pointless lol.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I say coilovers, the highest quality you can find for your application. I am on my 2nd CF hood. Anything other than an OEM hood is going to take some fiddling to fit and latch, ask a body shop guy what they think about aftermarket panels and body kits. They all hate them for a reason. Also a CF hood has to be clear coated or else it blisters and fogs from UV exposure (ask how I know), this is an extra expense most people aren't aware off. They also pick up little pebbles that rattle around in the CF skeleton when ever you open it (again, ask how I know). If I could do it all over, I'd leave my color matched OEM hood on and take the 20lbs weight back.

If cooling is a concern, a quick fix is to pull the gasket out from between the wiper cowl and hood. When I did it I could see the heat rolling out at idle from the back of the hood. While driving it creates a low pressure zone that sucks the air up and out. I put my gasket back on though because I'm NA and all the air movement made my engine bay REALLY dusty. If you can find an OEM hood off of another 4g, maybe cut the vents you want around the skeleton like S2K and Supra guys and have it painted to match. Your gonna have to have paint work done on the CF anyway.

Also, if you pull out a fog light or two and leave the bezels, it acts similar to a ram air scoop with a nice big area to mount a small heat exchanger behind it, assuming you don't have an intake mounted there already.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I say coilovers, the highest quality you can find for your application. I am on my 2nd CF hood. Anything other than an OEM hood is going to take some fiddling to fit and latch, ask a body shop guy what they think about aftermarket panels and body kits. They all hate them for a reason. Also a CF hood has to be clear coated or else it blisters and fogs from UV exposure (ask how I know), this is an extra expense most people aren't aware off. They also pick up little pebbles that rattle around in the CF skeleton when ever you open it (again, ask how I know). If I could do it all over, I'd leave my color matched OEM hood on and take the 20lbs weight back.

If cooling is a concern, a quick fix is to pull the gasket out from between the wiper cowl and hood. When I did it I could see the heat rolling out at idle from the back of the hood. While driving it creates a low pressure zone that sucks the air up and out. I put my gasket back on though because I'm NA and all the air movement made my engine bay REALLY dusty. If you can find an OEM hood off of another 4g, maybe cut the vents you want around the skeleton like S2K and Supra guys and have it painted to match. Your gonna have to have paint work done on the CF anyway.

Also, if you pull out a fog light or two and leave the bezels, it acts similar to a ram air scoop with a nice big area to mount a small heat exchanger behind it, assuming you don't have an intake mounted there already.
This is invaluable information. Thank you

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well update as of right now i dont think im gonna be able to do either during tax season. Gotta finish my tuning and it is getting on my nerves so i need to do something about it. I will keep this thread handy when i get my decision between the 2 later on this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts