Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I've had the guides in the sunroof replaced for the water leak by the sunroof button...it doesn't leak there anymore. HOWEVER, there was also water in the BACK of the car...they thought the guides would solve this as well, but no luck. Here's the deal. On the passenger side in the back where the headliner meets the plastic pillar trim...just above the side triangle window, directly above the rear speaker...this is where it's been coming in. It saturates the headliner and then drips down on the speaker and rear seat. They tried sealing it, no luck. After the 3rd or 4th visit for the issue, they called mitsu and they apparantly know about it. Apparantly they've had some cars with the same issue and it's a structural problem. Not enough sealant between the roof panels or something.

SOOOO, bottom line is that it has to go to the body shop. Mitsu has a procedure for the fix...they have to remove the headliner and all the structural bracing...re-seal everything and re-assemble... should be fun.

·
Call me Sparky!
598 Posts
TSB # and serial # range??

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no TSB for this one...at least not yet...they've only had 7 or 8 cases or so. I'm not happy about it, but at least Mitsu is covering the cost of a rental and all that. I called them before the dealer did and they said that Mitsubishi doesn't offer rental car coverage, but then the dealer called an told them what all was going on and they approved it.

·
Eclipse MR
9,144 Posts
I'm lucky!! I've never had a problem with my sunroof leaking..

·
Call me Sparky!
598 Posts
so is the water coming in along the sunroof seams/seals or in through the rubber trim strips?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing to do with the sunroof or it's seals...

I think it's coming in under the black rubber roof moulding, the black piece that runs front to back along the roof, about 3 inches above where the door window seals. If you take that strip off, you can see where the roof meets up with the a-pillars and all the other body panels. They are all sandwiched together and welded...apparently it wasn't sealed good enough...

They want to remove the interior stuff so they can see where the water is actually entering...they've already pulled all the headliner and everything, but there's too much bracing, you can't see those seams...so, they're going to have to remove the interior braces and find the leak, fix it, then re-weld the bracing back in place.

·
OldNut
667 Posts
wow! thats such a big job. im glad your friendly dealership is doing it the proper way and not taking shortcuts:bigthumb:

·
The dick of JUSTICE
3,087 Posts
Damn, that's the kind of issue that could borderline total a vehicle as far as repair costs. The structure of the vehicle is designed to work as a coupe or convertible, so technically they can remove most of the roof of your car.

Jeez, I hope this is an 06 thing.... damnit, my car is an 06 design/colour released as one of the first 07s.

·
Call me Sparky!
598 Posts
If Mitsu is involved there is a good chance that they are funding the investigative work the dealer is doing. I would imagine that they want to get to the bottom of this problem so that a TSB and/or recall can be worked up pretty quickly. The E has a pretty high crash survival rating but if some of the critical structural stuff is subject to problems like this, well, the rating could be shot down.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We'll see...I know when the dealer called them they said they had a handful of other cases and had worked up some sort of repair instructions that they were going to send out...stuff they wanted the body shop to do I guess...

I asked if the whole roof had to come off and they said no. They said there's some bracing that would have to be removed and reset after the repair...that's all I know...it goes in Jan. 5.

·
Call me Sparky!
598 Posts
see if you can get a copy of the repair instructions.....

·
What Drives You?
9,409 Posts
Awesome thread, Brian. eRep! :woot:

I'm glad I haven't had this problem just yet, but fingers are crossed. Car rolled off the line April '05 as an '06.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok...got the car back...they stripped the inside (roof area) and soaked it down and as it turns out there was just a pinhole in one of the seams where the body panels meet. They were able to get to it without removing any bracing or major surgury...so, we'll see if it all worked once it rains...been too cold now it's snowing. I'll let you know if anything changes...

·
What Drives You?
9,409 Posts
Glad to hear, Brian :) Hope you don't get any new creaks and squeaks!

·
Call me Sparky!
598 Posts
How did they seal the pinhole? Slathering loads of sealer underneath a new roof seam trim strip or???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts