Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an eclipse gt 2006, came with a gearbox with Dog-leg pattern Does anyone know anything about this?,apparently it was automatic and converted to manual, the gearbox looks like the 6-speed, but only has 5 speeds, I need to change the input shaft bearing :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's very strange. I assume you've checked that the H pattern on the knob is correct? There isn't (to my knowledge) a tranny that has that pattern on a 4G. It's either the standard 5-speed H pattern or 6-speed pattern, with reverse on the left of first.

Sounds like whoever did the tranny work put in a unconventional or custom transmission. In which case you should get with the PO to see what shafts to use.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,284 Posts
The manual 5 speed is NOT like that. The GT has the top left as reverse and first as far as I know. You need to pull up on the reverse lockout to put it in reverse normally.

Maybe the lockout on yours is busted, and you've actually been taking off in 2nd? The person who did the conversion might of been really creative somewhere, though. Could be a non Eclipse tranny

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The manual 5 speed is NOT like that. The GT has the top left as reverse and first as far as I know. You need to pull up on the reverse lockout to put it in reverse normally.

Maybe the lockout on yours is busted, and you've actually been taking off in 2nd? The person who did the conversion might of been really creative somewhere, though. Could be a non Eclipse tranny
if I put first on top left I get grinding noise,however reverse lock is in the same place, and works perfectly

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds to me you don't have 1st, and you've been starting out in 2nd all along. Or, you're mistaking first for reverse. Put it in 2nd, and the go straight up, instead of going from neutral to first. Feel the gates.

That being said, it's not impossible that it's a weird custom tranny swap, just improbable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds to me you don't have 1st, and you've been starting out in 2nd all along. Or, you're mistaking first for reverse. Put it in 2nd, and the go straight up, instead of going from neutral to first. Feel the gates.

That being said, it's not impossible that it's a weird custom tranny swap, just improbable.
yesterday was looking for some id number in to my gearbox, the only thing I found was a logo of aisin, maybe some internal modification mmm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts