Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in Oregon and like to visit the coast a lot and camp, but as probably every one knows it rains a bit here so I really don't like pitching a tent. Heres what I would like to do, since the back of the eclipse has a TON of room when the seats are down I was thinking of converting it into a bed area. A few things need to happen first though and this is where I need some help.

1. The sub woofer needs to go to make room

I am not a huge audiophile and I'm currently using a cheap android stereo so I really don't care too much about perfect audio. Right now I'm using the Axxess Mito wiring harness to connect to the stock amp. I would prefer to dump that harness cause it's a peice of junk and I've already had 2 die on me (right after the warranty expired both times). I've wanted to get another amp in the past, but the problem is where can you put it? There doesn't seem to be any clearance under the seat. I also remember at one point I thought it was in the passanger door, or in that area, but can't find any info on it now. Is there a aftermarket one that will fit there? Also, as I said, I'm not an audiophile, I don't need to blow out windows or shake the road with bass, just something average, so something cheap will work fine.

2. The support beam

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm assuming the bar that goes across under the sub is for support? So I can't remove it? Just trying to find a way to flatten out that area so I can lie down.

I'm sure I will have more questions, but I'll start here, thanks!

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,054 Posts
That bent area is the back is where the structure comes from. You could make a raised floor above it to smooth the whole section from the back seats to the trunk out though. Plywood and a jigsaw would make quick work of that, then add in some supports wherever you need so it's not saggy

I've only hung out in the trunk once, it was at a drive in movie theatre, and we just loaded the car with pillows and blankets. Still awful

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know, thanks, any idea about the AMP? Regardless I want to replace the thing because I'm tired of dealing with that adapter that keeps breaking. Also the sub just takes up too much room in the back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you looked online for woofers made specifically for the under seat? I don't know the clearance under there; but, I've seen some really narrow-looking woofers! Maybe you should look into cutting an opening under there to house a woofer that is slightly too thick to slide under there. If you are able to get a woofer under there, I'd look into mounting the amp behind hour seat (on the "wall" in the passenger legroom area). Hope this helps, some!
My son is a cub scout, we go camping 🙄 and I HATE having to pitch a tent! PLEASE let us know what you come up with, good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you looked online for woofers made specifically for the under seat? I don't know the clearance under there; but, I've seen some really narrow-looking woofers! Maybe you should look into cutting an opening under there to house a woofer that is slightly too thick to slide under there. If you are able to get a woofer under there, I'd look into mounting the amp behind hour seat (on the "wall" in the passenger legroom area). Hope this helps, some!
My son is a cub scout, we go camping 🙄 and I HATE having to pitch a tent! PLEASE let us know what you come up with, good luck!
There is NO room under the seat, I just had to unbolt the seats and remove them just to get to a micro sd card under the seat because you can't put your hand even under it.

I was actually a boyscout lol, I have done enough tent camping in this life and it might still be an option, but I need to remove the sub first to see if their is room, plus find an amp that will work. Unfortunatly I will have to put it on hold since my check engine light came on :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts