Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, within the last couple of months my door locks stopped working.

Symptoms:
Key does not work
Electronic lock button in the door doesnt work
-- when either of these actions are taken, it makes a sound, and the locks TRY to click over, they even physically move, but they dont actually lock or unlock.

Troubleshooting completed so far:
Checked the door lock fuse in the engine bay (the 40amp one) and it appears fine.
There is also what appears to be a door lock fuse in the cabin of the car, (#15) and it appears to be fine as well.
Unhooked my aftermarket viper alarm.

The only thing I can think of is that the JDM Black housing LED Taillights I installed a few months ago are causing an issue. Originally the only thing that did not work was my cruise control, and that stopped working pretty much immediately after I installed the taillights, it wasn't until about a month or two later that the door locks stopped working.

I know I should have already put the inline resistor in with my taillights (which I found a tutorial for on here) but I just havent had time recently, and plan on getting that done this coming saturday.

My car is @ 55k miles, it's a 2007 GS, so while it's still under the 5 year mfg warranty, the mileage is over, so it won't be covered for a mfg repair. Even if it was I have a feeling they wouldnt fix it because of the aftermarket lights.

Anywho, does it sound like a problem that might be fixed when i put the resistor inline with my taillights? If not, any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks!~

·
4,111 Posts
I'm sure you are aware by now that are car has several ECU's, so when you do any electrical work make sure you disconnect the battery!! This will also reset your ECU's and clear their memory. So hopefully after installing the inline load resistors and reconnecting the battery you should be good to go.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I gather from that thread that I need some 8 ohm 25 watt resistors, I thought I could find some at radio shack, but couldnt. I want to make sure I get the right thing, and google searching it is proving a bit difficult, what do you recommend I look for specifically? Any good websites for those sorts of parts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fixed my taillights, and it fixed everything that is traditionally associated with the LED lights such as the warning lights and the cruise control.

Unfortunately it did not fix my issue with the door locks. I did more research and based on problems other people are having, it seems like its either the voltage coming from the ecu is too low, or the motors in the actuators went bad. I took the door panel off and tested the voltage, and it's getting the appropriate voltage, so my next step is to replace the actuators.

I called my local mitsubishi dealer and they have the parts available to order for around $115 per, so about 225 for the pair. I can't seem to find a dealer online that has parts like these for sale, they need to be OEM -- i don't want to put any aftermarket actuators in the doors. Does anyone have any information that can lead me to a good OEM wholesale website, or just a place that I can buy those parts in general, for less than the mfg would sell them to me for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nvm, found it through a forum search.

Reactions: 4gAddict

·
4,111 Posts
Have you checked the voltage for the battery inside your key? I could see one door going bad, but both at the same time would mean a single component that is causing both doors not to operate properly.

·
-cruzer-
1,944 Posts
So, within the last couple of months my door locks stopped working.

Symptoms:
Key does not work
Electronic lock button in the door doesnt work
-- when either of these actions are taken, it makes a sound, and the locks TRY to click over, they even physically move, but they dont actually lock or unlock.

Troubleshooting completed so far:
Checked the door lock fuse in the engine bay (the 40amp one) and it appears fine.
There is also what appears to be a door lock fuse in the cabin of the car, (#15) and it appears to be fine as well.
Unhooked my aftermarket viper alarm.

The only thing I can think of is that the JDM Black housing LED Taillights I installed a few months ago are causing an issue. Originally the only thing that did not work was my cruise control, and that stopped working pretty much immediately after I installed the taillights, it wasn't until about a month or two later that the door locks stopped working.

I know I should have already put the inline resistor in with my taillights (which I found a tutorial for on here) but I just havent had time recently, and plan on getting that done this coming saturday.

My car is @ 55k miles, it's a 2007 GS, so while it's still under the 5 year mfg warranty, the mileage is over, so it won't be covered for a mfg repair. Even if it was I have a feeling they wouldnt fix it because of the aftermarket lights.

Anywho, does it sound like a problem that might be fixed when i put the resistor inline with my taillights? If not, any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks!~
have you fixed this door lock problem i have same issue?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it to the MFG to have a diagnostic done, I thought the mfg warranty was 5 yr/50k miles, apparently its 60k miles, i was at around 56,000 at the time, they replaced the actuators for me. It's the same thing I was going to do, but they did it under the mfg warranty... so I assume that's the problem you're having. If you're still within the mfg warranty period take it to the dealer, otherwise that's probably what you're going to want to investigate.

·
-cruzer-
1,944 Posts
I took it to the MFG to have a diagnostic done, I thought the mfg warranty was 5 yr/50k miles, apparently its 60k miles, i was at around 56,000 at the time, they replaced the actuators for me. It's the same thing I was going to do, but they did it under the mfg warranty... so I assume that's the problem you're having. If you're still within the mfg warranty period take it to the dealer, otherwise that's probably what you're going to want to investigate.
ok ill start on that! im way past 56k im at 130k lol

·
4,111 Posts

·
They call me the Wizzz
378 Posts
Old thread, but Joey did you find out for yours what to do? my passenger door lock does the "trying its best" to click over but doesnt go completely. Its wierd, it hasnt worked for 3 months, last week it just started working for 5 days and not it doesnt work again...:noplease:

·
Registered
9 Posts
What are the fuses for the passenger side door lock? I hear it try to unlock everytime I click unlock on the driver side panel. I can see it giggle slightly when I click lock on the driver side panel as well. Same behavior regardless if the car is running or not.

·
I love To Drift
7,505 Posts
I had basically same problem caused two times by different things.

First was a weird glitch and resetting the ecu by disconnecting negative battery cable for 30 mins fixed.

Second time was a blown fuse but not the one noted for that. There's a little yellow two fuse container under the hood . I didn't realize that .

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
What are the fuses for the passenger side door lock? I hear it try to unlock everytime I click unlock on the driver side panel. I can see it giggle slightly when I click lock on the driver side panel as well. Same behavior regardless if the car is running or not.
What you are hearing is it trying to lock the passenger door. If it is already locked it is just bumping the solenoid. Thats ok.

Dude. Stop pulling fuses to fix issues.

sent from Autoguide Free because tapatalk was dropped.

·
They call me the Wizzz
378 Posts
What you are hearing is it trying to lock the passenger door. If it is already locked it is just bumping the solenoid. Thats ok.

Dude. Stop pulling fuses to fix issues.

Well that is completely unhelpful...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Well that is completely unhelpful...
How un helpful. His issue hevti trying to fix is not an isdue. Its normal. Or I can tell him whch fuse an now neither door lock works. Or a simple look in the manual will tell him which fuse.

As to stop pulling fuse comment. He's posted two issues. And rather then fix he is pulling fuses. Our cars are sensitive to voltage changes. Hell LEDs will disable our traction controll.

So usefull. Dam straight it was.

Smart ass!

·
They call me the Wizzz
378 Posts
How un helpful. His issue hevti trying to fix is not an isdue. Its normal. Or I can tell him whch fuse an now neither door lock works. Or a simple look in the manual will tell him which fuse.

As to stop pulling fuse comment. He's posted two issues. And rather then fix he is pulling fuses. Our cars are sensitive to voltage changes. Hell LEDs will disable our traction controll.

So usefull. Dam straight it was.

Smart ass!

Well apparently it worked for Animefreak.

And "What you are hearing is it trying to lock the passenger door. If it is already locked it is just bumping the solenoid. Thats ok."… that is not ok by the way. What is ok is if when we pressed unlock the damn thing actually would unlock; or if we pressed lock it would lock.

Side note, what is "hevti"???… or "isdue"?…

Smart ass!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Well apparently it worked for Animefreak.

And "What you are hearing is it trying to lock the passenger door. If it is already locked it is just bumping the solenoid. Thats ok."… that is not ok by the way. What is ok is if when we pressed unlock the damn thing actually would unlock; or if we pressed lock it would lock.

Side note, what is "hevti"???… or "isdue"?…

Smart ass!

I interpited his post as it was bouncing the solinoid when he hit the drivers button. Not that it was not unlocking. And he was looking to pull the fuse to stop it.

And yes if the passenger door is locked and you hit lock on the drivers door the system WILL bump the lock solenoid on the passenger door. NORMAL. It even bumps the rear hatch lock.

So my comnent was helpful, just for different question :) But at least I tried to help where yours never attempted to help. Juat sayin.

That's where this site and c4gnation differ. On the nation people would chime in an say 'I think he ment this'. Where here, there are more people looking to bash and ridicule.

Side note = Fat fingers trying to type on a small phone keyboard and failing to proofread my note :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts