Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone done it before? I have a rusted fuel filler neck and prepared for tank inlet to be rusted as well. Hoping not, but prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
526 Posts
99.99% positive that you have to drop the exhaust. Than disconnect the Evap system and the fuel pump before you remove the straps. I'm planning on going to Fuel Cell next year. Let me know if you come across any surprises.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
99.99% positive that you have to drop the exhaust. Than disconnect the Evap system and the fuel pump before you remove the straps. I'm planning on going to Fuel Cell next year. Let me know if you come across any surprises.
I've seen the fuel filler neck done before, but that was on a 3G. The filler necks didn't improve any into the 4G. I'm just hoping the cancer hasn't spread to the tank as well. Mitsubishi in Canada = rust. Will let you know how it goes.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've seen the fuel filler neck done before, but that was on a 3G. The filler necks didn't improve any into the 4G. I'm just hoping the cancer hasn't spread to the tank as well. Mitsubishi in Canada = rust. Will let you know how it goes.

Just wondering how this went? We went to get gas in our 06 after doing a ton of work over the past few months, and after a minute of filling gas appeared on the ground. I’m 99% certain the fuel filler pipes are shot, just wondering how bad they are to change...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wondering how this went? We went to get gas in our 06 after doing a ton of work over the past few months, and after a minute of filling gas appeared on the ground. I’m 99% certain the fuel filler pipes are shot, just wondering how bad they are to change...
There's a video on YouTube showing a 3G Eclipse with a rusted out fuel filler neck here:

https://youtu.be/oXuPHoZI3pU

The 4G is relatively the same however when going to change it I found that where the connection is from the fuel filler neck to the gas tank, there are two 3/8" outlets coming out of the tank...both were rusted right off. As such, I had to get a new tank from an auto wrecker.

The fuel filler neck part number is FN911 (Spectra) and can be found on eBay for ~ $200. Jack the car up and reach towards the hoses that connect to the gas tank from the fuel filler neck and you might find those vent outlets rusted off as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There's a video on YouTube showing a 3G Eclipse with a rusted out fuel filler neck here:

The 4G is relatively the same however when going to change it I found that where the connection is from the fuel filler neck to the gas tank, there are two 3/8" outlets coming out of the tank...both were rusted right off. As such, I had to get a new tank from an auto wrecker.

The fuel filler neck part number is FN911 (Spectra) and can be found on eBay for ~ $200. Jack the car up and reach towards the hoses that connect to the gas tank from the fuel filler neck and you might find those vent outlets rusted off as well.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful! Thanks!

Was the Spectra one complete? Factory diagram shows a small hose near the top with a check valve. The Spectra one is about $100 cheaper than the factory setup, so if you had good luck with it then that is what I’ll do too.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Guess i'll be pushing my fuel cell up on the things to do next list. You guys made me look at mine and it's not far behind yours.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very helpful! Thanks!

Was the Spectra one complete? Factory diagram shows a small hose near the top with a check valve. The Spectra one is about $100 cheaper than the factory setup, so if you had good luck with it then that is what I’ll do too.
The spectra looks complete. I was waiting for the straps to arrive before doing the job. I found a decent tank at an auto wrecker. Make sure after you put the sender and fuel pump in and raise the tank that you spray some Fluid Film or Rust Check or rubberized undercoating so you don't have the problem again.

Are you guys in Canada or the northern US? It seems that certain parts of these cars can't handle what winter throws at them. I just did my wife's rear brakes and the backing plates fell off her car in a pile of rust...yet the body and undercarriage are mint. Usually cars rust evenly, with these cars, only certain parts rust and rust badly.

·
Registered
526 Posts
North East here. My rear end is pretty rusted up. Front is expected rust for 13 years old. Undercarriage is decent condition for age. Pretty sure the zinc coating they use wears off after a few years.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Hope this helps.

So, deja vu here on the tank. I removed the old (and completely obliterated) fuel filler pipes, and the two 3/8 vent lines fell out of the fuel tank... so I just ordered a new OEM fuel tank and straps. Have you changed your tank yet? Just trying to get an idea of what I’m in for... lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, deja vu here on the tank. I removed the old (and completely obliterated) fuel filler pipes, and the two 3/8 vent lines fell out of the fuel tank... so I just ordered a new OEM fuel tank and straps. Have you changed your tank yet? Just trying to get an idea of what I’m in for... lol
Are you in Canada? I replaced mine with a the Spectra FN911 fuel filler neck and a really good auto wrecker gas tank from the southern US. Total cost for parts was $500 Drop the exhaust. Drop the tank. Exchange the sending unit and fuel pump. Disconnect them from inside the car under the mat...there are access doors. Make sure you have a variety of hose clamps on hand (both fuel line size and radiator hose). And be prepared for a lot of cursing and swearing...it's a pig of a job.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Are you in Canada? I replaced mine with a the Spectra FN911 fuel filler neck and a really good auto wrecker gas tank from the southern US. Total cost for parts was $500 Drop the exhaust. Drop the tank. Exchange the sending unit and fuel pump. Disconnect them from inside the car under the mat...there are access doors. Make sure you have a variety of hose clamps on hand (both fuel line size and radiator hose). And be prepared for a lot of cursing and swearing...it's a pig of a job.

Almost...Massachusetts. Lol

Spectra is on backorder for the filler pipes along with everyone else. But my local dealer has been awesome, and they found an OEM set at another dealer and was able to get them for me. Tank is $450 new so I figured that wasn’t bad. So I ordered that, new brackets, and new hoses. Guess I will give this a try. What looks crappy is you cannot see where the hoses meet the tank...?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Almost...Massachusetts. Lol

Spectra is on backorder for the filler pipes along with everyone else. But my local dealer has been awesome, and they found an OEM set at another dealer and was able to get them for me. Tank is $450 new so I figured that wasn’t bad. So I ordered that, new brackets, and new hoses. Guess I will give this a try. What looks crappy is you cannot see where the hoses meet the tank...?
Those are really good prices! You can access the fuel pump and sending unit from inside the car...two panels underneath the rug in the hatch. Or let the tank down slowly and you'll get a full view of them. Make sure you run the tank close to empty. If you have new hoses, you can cut the old ones off with a blade. It really is a job that requires a hoist.

·
Registered
526 Posts
just food for thought. Besides the fact I can't believe Mitsu used rubber hoses under there. If the filler is rusting, couldn't you drop the tank clean it up and re-weld the neck back on? Awful amount of money for a tin can.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just food for thought. Besides the fact I can't believe Mitsu used rubber hoses under there. If the filler is rusting, couldn't you drop the tank clean it up and re-weld the neck back on? Awful amount of money for a tin can.
The filler neck and the tank are two separate parts separated by fuel resistant rubber hose. Most manufacturers use the same method. The fuel filler neck contains an array of vent hoses, some of which go to the tank and the others to the canister purge solenoid and charcoal canister. There are two inlets on the gas tank that are rusting right off...meaning they are corroded beyond recognition and have fallen right off the tank. You'll smell fumes inside the car and you'll have an evap code set as well as the system sees the missing pressure. I guess it's possible to fabricate and weld new inlets if you are talented enough and have experience welding gas tanks and purging them of any volatile fumes.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The filler neck and the tank are two separate parts separated by fuel resistant rubber hose. Most manufacturers use the same method. The fuel filler neck contains an array of vent hoses, some of which go to the tank and the others to the canister purge solenoid and charcoal canister. There are two inlets on the gas tank that are rusting right off...meaning they are corroded beyond recognition and have fallen right off the tank. You'll smell fumes inside the car and you'll have an evap code set as well as the system sees the missing pressure. I guess it's possible to fabricate and weld new inlets if you are talented enough and have experience welding gas tanks and purging them of any volatile fumes.

Yep, exactly right. Given how thin the gas tank metal is, it would be a genuine pain to try to weld it. And even if you did, I’m sure other rust spots would pop through down the road. New tank eliminates that problem for years to come.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On a nice pretty day my 1 hour job turns into a hunt for a fuel tank, same story as everyone. Damn the vent holes! Can I run with out them for now? Does anyone know where to get a cheap gas tank? I've searched online to the point that I honestly believe the internet has no clue a 4g exists... every search takes me to 00-05 parts.. I found them Mitsubishi direct but that's 500 dollars. Dorman and other companies make tanks but not for us?!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On a nice pretty day my 1 hour job turns into a hunt for a fuel tank, same story as everyone. Damn the vent holes! Can I run with out them for now? Does anyone know where to get a cheap gas tank? I've searched online to the point that I honestly believe the internet has no clue a 4g exists... every search takes me to 00-05 parts.. I found them Mitsubishi direct but that's 500 dollars. Dorman and other companies make tanks but not for us?!
Sorry I missed this post. Auto wreckers will sell you a tank for $200 or so. Obviously, make sure the tank is in good condition and spray it regularly with Rustcheck or Fluid film.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sorry I missed this post. Auto wreckers will sell you a tank for $200 or so. Obviously, make sure the tank is in good condition and spray it regularly with Rustcheck or Fluid film.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
That may be the only route at this point. In early 2019, my sons ‘06 Eclipse needed a fuel tank so I bought it OEM from our local dealer. We were told it was the last OEM tank in the country...!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts