Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2006 GT, with 46k miles, all stock. Today I had the E-Com error on the radio display and the buttons wouldn't respond. Lets rewind...

2 days ago I hit a pothole, it was violent, like when I was in my previous car the Mazda, and the tire blew out. However in this case, the tire seemed ok, so I didn't think anything of it, because I was able to make it home another 20 miles. The next morning I came out to go to work to be presented with a flat. I also noticed that somehow the front of the fender where it meets the hood was bend downwards. I ignored the fender, and got both front wheels replaced with an alignment. I kept mulling over the fender, I noticed there were no scrape marks, despite thinking someone had backed into me the night previously.

Why is this important? Today after driving home, I stopped at home depot, and right when I parked I got the E-com error. My sub was working, so I knew my amp was working. My car and radio is stock. I remember I hit the hazards getting my tire changed yesterday. It was especially cold today, despite being warm in the cabin, I figured maybe the control plate on the face plate isn't making good contact. Out of curiosity I pressed on the radio face plate underneath the hazzard button, and the E-com error cleared!! I hope that helps anyone else trying to solve E-Com, it could be the connection between the faceplate and the radio.

On a side note, I stopped at Stop N Shop to pickup some stuff, and that bend fender was irritating me. I kept trying to wrap my mind around how it could be caused by anything else than hitting the pothole. I touched the fender after driving 40 miles and it was room temperature, so I figured screw it, I popped the hood and pulled up on the fender. I heard a LOUD pop. At first a was frightened thinking I broke a fender mount in the freezing cold, but after looking at the fender across the lines in the light, the bend in the panel was COMPLETELY gone, looked brand new. Maybe I'm nuts, but I really believe that the shockwave that radiated throughout the chassis from that pothole caused the fender to buckle at the tip, kinda like a ruler bending backwards.

All in all, the radio and fender are good following my flat tire. I figured I would post this in case it would help someone else, with their radio, and perhaps that part of the fender that meets the hood in front of the car.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,617 Posts
Interesting, because I've pulled my face plate and used only the steering wheel controls many times, and haven't got an e-com from that. The warning is supposed to be a communication error between the display and the stereo itself.

Check your wiring on the back, something might still be loose. I hit a pothole one night hard enough to unplug my instrument cluster (tire was fine though). Weird stuff can happen

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's been about 3 months, I did unbolt the head unit in January after it happened again and pushed on the connectors in the back, and put everything back together, hasn't happened since. None of the connectors seemed loose, but perhaps the slightest nudge cleared up a contact.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts