Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Gamer
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://youtu.be/8ORLepeGC-0
I have followed those guys for a while. They just made there youtube channel not too long ago.
Both the civic and wagon have ebay Turbos and one was just tuned to run 30 PSI... they beat the living shit out of them too!!! watch there videos.. But everyone says they are so bad! is it just mouth or are they really shit.. I'm going to say fuck it. I'm taking one for the team. Your welcome. i will run it at 4 or 6 psi I should be good. There is a kit for $900 I'll have to get a tune in know. I'll start my build in March once it starts to get warm.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Justin... no more than a few weeks ago, you were asking how many belts the 4G69 had... now you're wanting to custom fabricate a turbo? And yes, you will have to fabricate it. Its not a direct bolt-on, despite what you may think.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
This is a car forum, not a high school court yard. Your threats are both irrelevant and childish.

This topic has been discussed in every excruciatingly painful detail since the inception of this forum, one of which we JUST finished about superchargers, and the same principles apply here. You aren't going to build a reliable turbo setup for $900, and unless you've been working on cars your whole life and/or have an automotive engineering degree, you're going to screw everything up under the hood.

This isn't us trying to shit on you, this is us trying to stop you from making a huge financial mistake and potentially blowing your engine. Think for a moment: if turboing a GS were REALLY that simple, then why hasn't every single GS owner turbo'd their eclipse? Why don't they make turbo kits specifically FOR our car if its so easy? If you really want to drop all this money, time, and effort, then we can't stop you. Its your car, your money, your decision, but you need to be aware of the consequences of what you're wanting to get into.

·
Gamer
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just asking if ebay turbos are as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I have searched to find people who tried and no one has because there "shit turbos" but if there so shitty how the fuck can these guys push 20 and 30 PSI with the shit turbos.. Yeah it probably won't last long I know this. But if I can get it boosted I will keep upgradeing 1st being the charger... I never wanted this to be a fight..

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
You know what, I'm gonna take a step back from my usual trolling, and play the mediator here.

Justin, I too am planning on undergoing a turbocharger build on my GT, which is arguably more ridiculous than turbocharging a GS. From one guy to another, I'm going to give you some advice, and this is literally me being friendly, not an ass (you'd know if I was being an ass, cause I'd make it obvious and not hide it): read. Research. The past 6 months of my time have consisted of reading how to guides, build threads (on more than just our forum), scientific studies and explanations, and all pertinent information regarding forced induction. This isn't a mod you just do. You have to plan ahead for everything that will happen, could happen, probably won't- but might happen. Especially with our cars, where there is literally NOTHING on the market made to fit, you need to know what you're doing. You need to research and find what YOU need for YOUR specific car. I will tell you this explicitly: if your first step is typing "turbo kit" on Ebay, you're fucking up. A "kit" isn't going to fit for this car. You need to find your turbo, your oil management, your intercooler, wastegates, BOV, secure a tuner, custom make manifolds, piping, MAF housings. This isn't shit you find on Ebay. I honestly hope you can do this build on your car, cause I'm going for the same thing, despite people saying it's hard, impossible, not plausible. It's totally doable. But you're doing it wrong. That is all. Best of luck.

EDIT: Go for a name brand- Garrett, Precision, etc. It doesn't matter where you buy it. Just don't cheap out, cause if you break a turbo, you break an engine. Then you cry to us and we say "Told you so"

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I was just asking if ebay turbos are as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I have searched to find people who tried and no one has because there "shit turbos" but if there so shitty how the fuck can these guys push 20 and 30 PSI with the shit turbos.. Yeah it probably won't last long I know this. But if I can get it boosted I will keep upgradeing 1st being the charger... I never wanted this to be a fight..
You misunderstand... its not just the turbo that will give out, its your whole engine. You're going to blow your engine. That is what we're getting at. Do these guys pushing 20 or 30 PSI turbos run them on a fourth generation Eclipse? On, specifically, the 4G69 engine? If not, then what they run is irrelevant. Engine rebuilds cost upwards of 5 grand IF the only thing blown is your engine. You won't be running high PSI on stock internals, that is scientific fact. Your pistons can't take it. They will explode from the pressure. They CAN take low boost better than the 6G75 can, but wanting to run 30 PSI on stock internals is just not realistic.

I know you want to have a super cool race car, we all do, but you have to keep your expectations realistic. Brendon is completely right. He has been tirelessly researching for months now, keeping me updated on his project, and his vast amount of knowledge on the subject is impeccable. I have faith in his build because hes doing his research and keeping his expectations realistic.

I'm not trying to fight either, but when veteran owners of this car such as Brendon and especially James tell you something is not that simple, then it truly is not that simple.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,415 Posts
I never understood it as a matter of high boost. I'm saying the turbo itself will wear out. The bearings will die in it, or the turbines will break apart. That's what makes ebay turbos suck.

The kits you've shown are a waste of your time and money, don't buy them. Bend your own piping, and figure out what you're gonna do for an intercooler first. Open your hood and take a look. We have a radiator in the way. You can get an aftermarket rad and mount it in custom and an intercooler to fill where the second fan used to be.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
The 2004-06 Ralliart kit will not fit your engine. The 16g turbo? Yeah, that's a good turbo. People have used it for their builds. The kit- no. Again. In layman's terms: a kit will not do you any good. You have to make your own kit. Buy everything separately. You have to separately buy a turbo, manifolds, gaskets, fasteners, injectors, etc. etc. There is not a "one purchase" thing to turbo your 4G. You will literally need to dedicate hours to research to find what will work for your "kit" that you are assembling.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.