Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 3.8Liter 6 speed manual 09 Eclipse GTP was in an accident but was running. Needed front center tie bar swapped along with radiator and other various parts. Douche at body shop took a sawzall to the front wire harness when removing the center tie bar. Then vehicle would not start. Harness is obsolete but attempted to repair harness. Connections on harness are correct (by wire color) but could not confirm grounds because they are all the same colors. This harness has nothing to do with engine start and wondering if ECU was fried during the repair. No mechanic or shop wants to touch this vehicle since someone else F'd it up.

Multiple scanners will not link/connect to OBD2. Voltage on OBD connector is pin 16 is 12 volts and all fuses are good as far as I could tell. CAN resistance should be about 60 ohms between pins 6 and 14 but I read about 180 K ohms (as if open circuit).

Wondering if i lost ground to ECU, If I check the ECU wiring on the 18 pin connector and find that I am missing ground, would it be a problem to add ground wires from the connector to the battery?

I'm a novice and have never tried doing anything like this.

any help would be appreciated. My daughter bought this car and she really would love to keep it.

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can slap a ground to anywhere bare metal on the chassis. All grounds are grounds, the chassis is wired to the battery negative. Very few cars in history have worked the opposite where the body is positive charged. I think that mostly died off in the 1930s.
Thanks, just wanted to get a better understanding. I'll play around and see what I could find. I did get a nice pin out / drawing for the 18 pin connector and there are at least 4 ground wires. I'll post my findings and results later on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts