Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Eclipse left me on the road :(

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  JustineM 
#1 ·
My 4g wont start anymore. It makes a rapid Clicking noise repeatedly when i turn the key. The radio/lights/windows work fine.

I already tried to jump cables and tested the battery at the parts store. Battery was in good shape with lots of charge (89%).
Is there any way to diagnose/differentiate problem with Starter or Alternator?

Thank you in advance for any ideas/tips you may offer

#2 ·
My 4g wont start anymore. It makes a rapid Clicking noise repeatedly when i turn the key. The radio/lights/windows work fine.

I already tried to jump cables and tested the battery at the parts store. Battery was in good shape with lots of charge (89%).
Is there any way to diagnose/differentiate problem with Starter or Alternator?

Thank you in advance for any ideas/tips you may offer
Timing belt blew?

#3 ·
Sounds like a starter issue to me. Might try grounding the jumper cable to the battery and going straight to the hot pole of the starter with the other side of the jumper cable and see if it does anything different. Anyone else jump in here if I am off-base with my suggestion.It sounds like the bendix (sp?) of the starter is not engaging the flywheel and might be a voltage/starter issue.

#5 ·
Just checked the Belt and it looks fine!

I will try to lift her(Eclipse) the on j,acks and take off the sheet under the bell housing of the trans to see if the flywheel engages
That clicking sound is the bendix not engaging the flywheel...you shouldn't have to go to all that trouble. When proper voltage goes the starter the bendix extends a drive gear to the flywheel and engages the flywheel to turn it. It either works or it doesn't..no need to try and see it happen.

#9 ·
Making progress! (y)Does not make sense if your battery tested fine and then will still not start unless using cables. If it starts with cables attached to the battery the the terminals and cables from the batter must be fine. I still would check the ground to chassis connection as Sabertooth suggested.I had some strange issue many years ago and that was the issue.

#10 ·
It could be that the amp output isn't enough to overcome the resistance of the connections alone to prevent voltage drop, but two vehicles worth can.

I think you're going the right direction, just keep going cleaning contacts. When they're all clean, a battery that does about 7v under load (very very very very poor condition) should be able to start the car if it's a GS. GT I've never done voltage testing

#11 ·
It was the battery!!

I took it back to O'Reillys store and had a different worker test it. She said that the battery was not outputing/holding good charge. So i ended up buying a new one and it did the job !

Also i bought and installed new terminal ends because the original ones were beat up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.