Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching how to turbocharge a 2012 GS. I've spent a lot of time looking online about doing a turbocharged setup on a vehicle, and most of the information is relatively easy to find. I know a lot of people that are knowledgeable about the mechanical side of things, but I've found it very difficult to find out what to do with the car's ECU when you want to add a turbo. So, this question is more focused on the ECU side of turbocharging, rather than whether it should be done (believe me, I've read many of the discussions saying its the worst idea in the world) or the rest of it.

First, I am wondering if the correct option is to have the stock ECU altered to support a turbo, or buy a completely new programmable one (I'm pretty sure that exists). Another idea I have thought of is to mess with one from a car that has a similar engine but turbocharged, such as a Lancer Evo.

I don't have any experience with tuning shops, so I don't really know how much they can do to change the programming. Do tuning shops even have the ability to change a stock ECU of a naturally aspirated car so much that it could support a turbo? I'm pretty lost with all of this, so any help related to the ECU would be greatly appreciated.

·
2,868 Posts
On our CAN BUS ECU, best to just tune it with Fastworks for boost

if you had something real old sending out analog signals to other modules like an old WRX or Nissan then go ahead and run a standalone

a stand-alone on this will leave you without a working gauge cluster, etc

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
OEM is perfectly fine. I ran one at 28psi boost on a high revving setup, which should be over 500hp on a GS

Yes, standalone exist, but not all support our trigger wheels or cam sensor. Haltech has native support though, as well as a plug and play harness adapter. And unlike what Kyle said, you can wire them into the factory cluster just fine. Megasquirt can also be made to work, just isn't plug and play. Another option aside from standalone is a piggy back. They work fine too. They work by intercepting data to and from the ECU, and adjusting it

A factory ECU like an evo one won't help you out. What matters more is the sensors. Displacement and who made the engine doesn't matter.

·
2,868 Posts
I haven’t seen an aftermarket ECU that communicates to a CAN BUS proprietary manufacturer sigbal

Older cars like my 2002 WRX that have analog signals running on the wires and no CAN BUS can easily have the stock ECU pulled and swapped right out with a stand-alone ECU with a plug and play adapter harness, and everything else would keep running perfect

Haven’t seen that on a CAN BUS car, the CAN systems on aftermarket ECU‘s only do CAN to their own clusters to what I’ve seen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OEM is perfectly fine. I ran one at 28psi boost on a high revving setup, which should be over 500hp on a GS

Yes, standalone exist, but not all support our trigger wheels or cam sensor. Haltech has native support though, as well as a plug and play harness adapter. And unlike what Kyle said, you can wire them into the factory cluster just fine. Megasquirt can also be made to work, just isn't plug and play. Another option aside from standalone is a piggy back. They work fine too. They work by intercepting data to and from the ECU, and adjusting it

A factory ECU like an evo one won't help you out. What matters more is the sensors. Displacement and who made the engine doesn't matter.
Thank you for your reply, I'm really happy to hear the OEM one would work. I'm inexperienced with this stuff, so could you explain the method you used to make that stock ECU work with the new turbo setup? A while back I read something saying it was not possible to tune an ECU for a naturally aspirated car to work with a turbo, but I guess that was some false info that has been really misleading me.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,402 Posts
Fastworks re-wrote the entire ECU software. They've got different definition files available or write new ones for each of the about 24 different ECUs the 4G eclipse used (yeah, seriously, thanks Mitsubishi.... They changed it every year).

For a turbo setup, they modify it to support over a 1 bar MAP sensor, as well as other fun features like overboost control, launch control, flex fuel, speed density, and a whole bunch of tuning options. Not every feature is enabled by default, as some are more experimental still.

If you're interested as well, I'm parting out my turbo setup/engine setup. Basically anything I won't need on a twin turbo V6 is going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts