Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to bite the bullet on my first major modification, the DC Sports CAI4006. Unfortunately for me, I've got an 09 with foglights and apparently it means I'm bound for clearance issues. Browsing here and on Amazon comments, it seems a simple solution is to add an elbow between the intake pipe and the filter. This allows you to angle the filter upward toward the headlight and clear the foglight housing.

I've found many comments stating this worked for them, but zero comments telling me what pipe I should purchase to get the same result.

So far, I know the filter has a 3" inlet; so I guess I need a 3" pipe? I've found a lot of 3" PVC elbows, and they're super cheap, but I'm not sure if that is the right material for this. Amazon had one picture of someone's intake that looked like an aluminum elbow, but I'm not sure. I wasn't able to find one that looked like it. I also found a few flexible elbows but I don't want the filter banging around while I'm driving since that's likely to cause similar damage to letting it grind on the foglight.

Can someone hold my hand just a little bit and help me find the correct pipe I need? I was hoping to get the CAI ordered tonight but I want to make sure I have everything I need.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,054 Posts
It's a 2.75" pipe that flares to 3" for the filter at the end. Use a 2.75" silicone coupler, and cut it where it's smaller, not at the flare for the filter

Orrrr.... Be like me, and just run it on your 2009 for years without caring what the Amazon reviews all say. Yeah, it'll rub on the fog light housing. Does it matter? Not in the least. I ran it for 50,000km that way before I went boosted, and I still use that DC Sports filter. It has some fins folded over where it rubbed, no big deal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would this be exactly what I need?
https://www.amazon.com/I33T-Universal-Automotive-Silicone-Intercooler/dp/B07W4V5VM4

If I'm understanding this correctly, the smaller 2.75" end of the coupler should fit flush inside the 3" opening on the intake; and then the 3" inlet on the filter should fit flush inside the larger 3" end of the coupler?

I'm glad you're patrolling these forums, by the way. :biggrin: I'm almost a decade late to the 4G party and being a novice to car modification, I'm bound to need the advice. Thanks!

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,054 Posts
If your filter has a hard area to clamp on to, sure. Otherwise, my thought was just cut the pipe after the 90, add your second 90 of 2.75" to 2.75", and let it sit higher.

But again, it will definitely work without that. It's very common for people to just run it on their 09+, and I can speak from experience that it's fine and a waste of effort to modify

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So what I did worked beautifully. I wanted to take your advice and just cram it in behind the foglight, but I'm paranoid enough about hydrolock that I ended up ordering a hydroshield and I didn't want it to tear. So I went back to my elbow plan and it was perfect.

If anyone comes hunting for this same info later, I want to make sure I lay out exactly what I bought. It took no effort at all to fit the CAI with this elbow attached.

I used this elbow. It isn't as metal as I thought it was (my fault, the description clearly says ABS), but I'm confident it will be fine as far away from the engine bay as it is; and it's purpose is as an intake tube anyway. If for some reason the link breaks or the product is unavailable; this is a 3" outer diameter tube at both ends with a 90 degree bend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9VF16Q

I also got this silicone coupler. The DC CAI comes with two, but you need an extra one to connect the elbow to the filter. I will link the one I bought in case it returns, but apparently I got the last one with the correct specs because they removed it. It looks like what I'm linking, but the one with a 3" diameter (76mm) is missing. That's what I bought and the fit was exact between the elbow and the CAI pipe. You can see from the picture above that I used the DC Sports coupler between the filter and the elbow rather than on the intake pipe; that's what worked for me but most likely the DC coupler is the same size as the 3" one I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8SLD8I?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Hope that helps someone looking for a clearance solution in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts