Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this cable is important, an if it looks like it needs replaced. Outlined in black. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Okay thanks, appreciate the info, Advanced Auto Parts or Autozone should sell those right?
If you can get the bolts out, clean them up with some sand paper. Get a new piece of wire. A few inches of 2 gauge wire will be fine and put it all back together.

if you can’t get the bolts out, don’t sweat it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I took it off an used a wire brush on the frayed end it was alot worse also had a little bit of corrosion on each end, an does an autoparts store such as autozone or advanced auto parts seel this wire? Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah I took it off an used a wire brush on the frayed end it was alot worse also had a little bit of corrosion on each end, an does an autoparts store such as autozone or advanced auto parts seel this wire? Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
Definitely. Tell them what you want it for and they will get something appropriate.

Something like a 2 or 4 gauge wire will be sufficient.

·
Basically Stock
5,688 Posts
You could even just take a piece of 8 gauge wire and some crimp connectors with openings at the ends. Any way to make a connection works. Bigger wire makes for a better ground, but I've definitely run my car without that wire. I forgot to do it up after my last clutch job, and also when I first bought the car it was cut.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh so the size doesn't matter? It doesn't have to be same size as the current one? I was unsure of that when I first noticed it cause my brother gave me one that was slightly longer with different looking ends. I think the current ends are 1/4" an the ends on the longer one were 1/2". I didn't want to use it cause I thought it had to be replaced with one that was the same length, an had same size rounded ends.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Completely different from current discussion but, I'm in the middle of changing brake pads an ran into a small problem, I replaced the boots on my caliper guide pins one side went back in fine but I can't get the other one to stay down all the way. Is there something I need too do? I didn't do anything too the first one it stayed down on it's own.

·
1,975 Posts
Oh so the size doesn't matter? It doesn't have to be same size as the current one? I was unsure of that when I first noticed it cause my brother gave me one that was slightly longer with different looking ends. I think the current ends are 1/4" an the ends on the longer one were 1/2". I didn't want to use it cause I thought it had to be replaced with one that was the same length, an had same size rounded ends.
Same size or thicker, thicker the better

·
Basically Stock
5,688 Posts
Completely different from current discussion but, I'm in the middle of changing brake pads an ran into a small problem, I replaced the boots on my caliper guide pins one side went back in fine but I can't get the other one to stay down all the way. Is there something I need too do? I didn't do anything too the first one it stayed down on it's own.
It may be full of dirt and old grease mixed together. Clean grease would just push back. That boot was probably worn out, and had too little grease inside to stop dirt getting in (the boot should be full of grease)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah thanks, turned out to be a small piece of rubber on the tip of the guide pin. I didn't even know it was there I thought it was part of the pin. I found this out when I noticed 2 of the small rubber pieces in the bag that had the caliper guide pin boots.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In this case you can use a slightly different size wire. However, the important point is OEM wires were designed to carry a specific load [volts] wire thickness / length and devise to be operated with all having resistance [Ω ohms]. That green stuff is what was wire. Sulfuric acid has dissolved the wire, As the wire disappears becomes frayed etc, the remaining wire can not carry the load. Any wire with green corrosion should be suspect. It should be cleaned, resealed or preferably replaced. Example is a rope with torn strands; it won't carry the load it was designed to

·
Basically Stock
5,688 Posts
That seems misleading. It was designed to carry a certain minimum load. You could run a 1" diameter wire across and it'll carry that load too. Just don't go smaller, in theory (in practice, the wire does very little and the car runs fine without it when everything is good otherwise, it's a backup)

And the green isn't sulphuric acid. It's copper oxide. It's different than the foamy white you get at a battery, which physically can leak at the posts. If you leave copper in a salt brine it'll turn like that pretty quickly, and that's what winter is in a lot of places.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That seems misleading. It was designed to carry a certain minimum load. You could run a 1" diameter wire across and it'll carry that load too. Just don't go smaller, in theory (in practice, the wire does very little and the car runs fine without it when everything is good otherwise, it's a backup)

And the green isn't sulphuric acid. It's copper oxide. It's different than the foamy white you get at a battery, which physically can leak at the posts. If you leave copper in a salt brine it'll turn like that pretty quickly, and that's what winter is in a lot of places.

Sabertooth ALL true. I should have clarified PWR in my comment for those who don't understand wire sizing. Sulfuric acid vs copper oxide - my mistake from not paying attention.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts