Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an Endeavor plastic intake and its pretty impressive. It makes the 3.8 mivec intake look tiny. It has the same diameter runners as the mivec, but they are 3” longer. The plastic is smoother inside. The lower intake has a lot of potential also. The throttle bodies look very similar. I’m not sure if the intake will clear the mivec valve cover, but a standard valve cover can be modified to fit. Has anyone tried one of these intakes?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The plenum is larger on the Endeavor vs Mivec. The runners are generally larger in diameter and longer. The lower intake has slightly larger ports where the two intakes join. I have all the Mitsubishi intakes and this one looks the best and makes the mivec intake look small. I’d say this intake will give a noticeable boost in midrange around the time the mivec kicks in without losing maximum hp.

I was hoping someone has at least tried this. I have a feeling it doesn’t clear the mivec valve covers. I’m not able to use this on my non Eclipse mivec car without heavily modifying my car or intake. I would suggest someone should actually compare the two intakes side by side and see for yourselves. I’m going to see if I can figure out how to make this intake work and the mivec also. I’ve already modified a standard valve cover to fit the mivec.

·
If it ain't broke, modify
3 Posts
Indy, I like your idea on this intake. I will be doing a RWD install of the Mivec engine and this might suit my needs fine. I do not care about just top end power, I need the most midrange that can be offered. If there is an interference to the valve cover then a machined spacer should take care of that.

·
The Evil Wizard
375 Posts
I recently got an Endeavor plastic intake and its pretty impressive. It makes the 3.8 mivec intake look tiny. It has the same diameter runners as the mivec, but they are 3” longer. The plastic is smoother inside. The lower intake has a lot of potential also. The throttle bodies look very similar. I’m not sure if the intake will clear the mivec valve cover, but a standard valve cover can be modified to fit. Has anyone tried one of these intakes?
it's a "poor man" version of the MIVEC IM. just needs the right cam profile for the non MIVEC engine to rival the MIVEC version.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,281 Posts
It's still also the opposite design of what everyone does when changing to an intake that increases power. You don't do a taller intake with longer runners. That's what you find on a pickup truck or SUV, not a sports car. And when you look at aftermarket ones, they have significantly shorter runners. That's universal across at platforms, all engines

I go into the science here, with test results from a variable length runner experiment that was done

https://4gworld.boards.net/thread/55/4g63-intake-manifold

·
The Evil Wizard
375 Posts
It's still also the opposite design of what everyone does when changing to an intake that increases power. You don't do a taller intake with longer runners. That's what you find on a pickup truck or SUV, not a sports car. And when you look at aftermarket ones, they have significantly shorter runners. That's universal across at platforms, all engines

I go into the science here, with test results from a variable length runner experiment that was done

https://4gworld.boards.net/thread/55/4g63-intake-manifold
Someone put a 4G63 IM on a 4G69 and only gain 1 HP peak while everything else under the curve was trash. It was only good for drag racing when increasing rpm to yield a higher trap speed.

There's a lot of variables when making/choosing an intake manifold and it is not so simple as long vs short runners but also how big are the diameters, the angle of the ports/runners, camshaft profiles, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts