Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
So shortly after my first post my eclipse (GT V6, 6 Speed Manual, 204,000kms) was in an accident. Instead of buying the necessary new parts (over $4000 worth) I decided to purchase a second eclipse (GT V6, Auto, 85,000kms). As it turns out the engine on the second eclipse has very low kilometers and I am obviously wanting to take advantage of the newer engine as mine is starting to cap out. So my question for you is what would be the best way to go about getting the newer engine paired with my manual transmission? Should I swap the engine to the other vehicle, or should I swap the transmission. Along with that, has anyone ever done either procedure (pairing a factory automatic engine with a manual transmission?). To me personally it would seem easier to swap the engine as there would be less fabrication involved with adding a third pedal to the vehicle and running all the linkage and lines etc... Thanks for your input!

Just a side note would I be wrong in assuming that the two engines are exactly the same as far as the "hookup" points for the transmission goes?

·
2,690 Posts
The engine will swap fine, it’s the transmission that won’t easily swap being an auto and a manual, wiring differences, computer differences

But the engines will swap fine v6 for v6

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,168 Posts
If you're wanting to use the automatic car's body, you'll have to swap the harnesses, body control module, clutch assembly, ABS module, brake fluid reservoir, etc etc etc from your manual. Basically, gut the auto car, gut the manual car, swap the stuff all over.

If the structure of your manual car isn't damaged, use that, and all you need are to swap over what's broken, and the engine itself. The engine doesn't care what it's in, you'll just have to pull the flex plate and use your flywheel instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts