Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Engine replacement for 2009 Eclipse GT Spyder Manual

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnofNight 
#1 ·
My engine went out in my 2009 Eclipse GT Spyder yesterday and the shop says I need a new engine. Any help on locating 1 or an alternative 1 would be greatly appreciated. I'm most likely going to bring her home to garage it till I locate a suitable replacement.

#3 ·
Shop called and said it threw a bearing. The cost to rebuild the engine would be greater then getting another. This is the shop talking, of course. I talked to another Auto friend and he said it depends on which bearing... I just did a timing chain replacement in my F150 and replaced the roller followers. Depending on how in depth the repair is I might be able to handle it. But the shop was recomending I find another engine. Mine has 225K on it now.

#4 ·
Threw a bearing is an odd term, because they don't.

You could have a SPUN bearing, in which case, you'd need a crank and new bearings at the least generally. Potentially also a new rod. It really does depend which bearing. A crank bearing, you can do it from under the car pulling the oil pan and trans. A rod bearing, at least 1 head has to come off.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info, exactly what I needed to know. I'm going to bring her home and garage till I have the cash flow to work on it. I'll talk to the shop today or tomorrow and find out the actual diagnosis, but it sounds like I "might" be able to take this job on myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.