Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 eclipse gs sport 4g69 automatic was wondering what the best engine swap would be and the price?

·
Registered
61 Posts
i heard the sohc head flows better than the dohc head on the evo, and isnt the evo transmission on the other side of the engine? seems like a hard swap if you have to swap the transmission too.

·
2,802 Posts
i heard the sohc head flows better than the dohc head on the evo, and isnt the evo transmission on the other side of the engine? seems like a hard swap if you have to swap the transmission too.
The Evo 1-3 and DSM Eclipse’s are opposite ours

the Evo 4-9 are the same as ours

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,295 Posts
I wrote this before I clued in you said auto trans. Your trans needs to go in the garbage. Any swap but GS manual will be near equally as difficult once you have to install a new trans.

An Evo engine has a worse flowing head, and less displacement. Rods are no stronger, pistons suck too (but have oil squirters, which typically get removed once forged pistons go in anyway), crank is weaker, rotating assembly is about 50% heavier, fuel economy is worse.

The good stuff about the 63 is that there's a large aftermarket and it's fairly commonly known. If you want a serious 69 build, anything you need can be had. But below 550whp, there's absolutely no point in any head work. It'll drive like stock, but with a shitload more power when you stomp the pedal as a turbo engages.

If you want to go past about 350hp, I sell an engine block kit with forged goodies. Wiseco pistons, BC rods, ARP head and main studs, ACL racing series bearings and thrust washers. I can also get upgraded fuel pumps, surge tanks, fuel cells, AN line (coated PTFE, otherwise buy the Amazon garbage, it's cheaper than my non PTFE and works ok enough, just don't run any ethanol blended fuel on non PTFE), injectors, turbos, wastegates, blow off valves, and some more stuff, not to run away with a sales pitch.

My buddy Alex makes top mount T3 turbo manifolds, from that you just need a downpipe, charge piping, intercooler, and more minor supporting mods, and it'll run boosted and make around 330whp, MAF limited.

·
2,802 Posts
I wrote this before I clued in you said auto trans. Your trans needs to go in the garbage. Any swap but GS manual will be near equally as difficult once you have to install a new trans.

An Evo engine has a worse flowing head, and less displacement. Rods are no stronger, pistons suck too (but have oil squirters, which typically get removed once forged pistons go in anyway), crank is weaker, rotating assembly is about 50% heavier, fuel economy is worse.

The good stuff about the 63 is that there's a large aftermarket and it's fairly commonly known. If you want a serious 69 build, anything you need can be had. But below 550whp, there's absolutely no point in any head work. It'll drive like stock, but with a shitload more power when you stomp the pedal as a turbo engages.

If you want to go past about 350hp, I sell an engine block kit with forged goodies. Wiseco pistons, BC rods, ARP head and main studs, ACL racing series bearings and thrust washers. I can also get upgraded fuel pumps, surge tanks, fuel cells, AN line (coated PTFE, otherwise buy the Amazon garbage, it's cheaper than my non PTFE and works ok enough, just don't run any ethanol blended fuel on non PTFE), injectors, turbos, wastegates, blow off valves, and some more stuff, not to run away with a sales pitch.

My buddy Alex makes top mount T3 turbo manifolds, from that you just need a downpipe, charge piping, intercooler, and more minor supporting mods, and it'll run boosted and make around 330whp, MAF limited.
1 question tho, how’s the strength of the 63 block compared to the 69 block considering the 63 seems to be more closed deck? It doesn’t seem to be too much different tho

1 - 9 of 9 Posts