Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you think will be more beneficial for a 4g gt performance wise.

A Injen SES1873TT 76mm Cat-back Exhaust System w/ 4" Titanium burnt and rolled tip (incl. Catalytic Converter) ($750)

or

K&N 69-6502TR Air Typhoon Intake ($300)

?

and for those who did one of or both do you have any dyno test sheets or new quarter mile/0-60 times? I want to do just one for now dont want to spend too much yet

Thanks

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Don't bother with a short ram, sucking in that hot engine bay air might actually cost you power instead of making it over stock. I've got both the Injen CAI and the catback. Butt dyno definitely says I'm making more power, but haven't got any documentation to back that up.

If you go with the Injen catback, be warned that it's extremely loud with headers (RRE at least) and you might have to cut a 1.5" section off the midpipe just to have it fit right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't bother with a short ram, sucking in that hot engine bay air might actually cost you power instead of making it over stock. I've got both the Injen CAI and the catback. Butt dyno definitely says I'm making more power, but haven't got any documentation to back that up.

If you go with the Injen catback, be warned that it's extremely loud with headers (RRE at least) and you might have to cut a 1.5" section off the midpipe just to have it fit right.

any youtube videos of your injen cat ? i want to see how loud lol and yeah i dont want it to be super loud... planing to keep stock headers for now too.

You sure about kn ? it has the heat shield and uses the existing stock vent to pull in some air. their so called claims are around 10-15 hp on the dyno charts. I dont want to use a cold air intake to push it more down cause it rains alot here.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
any youtube videos of your injen cat ? i want to see how loud lol and yeah i dont want it to be super loud... planing to keep stock headers for now too.

You sure about kn ? it has the heat shield and uses the existing stock vent to pull in some air. their so called claims are around 10-15 hp on the dyno charts. I dont want to use a cold air intake to push it more down cause it rains alot here.
It rains a lot here too, never had a problem with my CAI, neither did I have any with my older car (also ran an Injen CAI). The K&N SRI is not well sealed from the engine bay air and is located right in front of the fan which only makes things worse. 10-15hp over stock is not realistic imho.

I have videos with the complete header-back and intake

exterior clip
interior clip

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It rains a lot here too, never had a problem with my CAI, neither did I have any with my older car (also ran an Injen CAI). The K&N SRI is not well sealed from the engine bay air and is located right in front of the fan which only makes things worse. 10-15hp over stock is not realistic imho.

I have videos with the complete header-back and intake

exterior clip
interior clip

nice, sounds good i might just do catback from injen it doesnt sound too loud

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee499/09EclipseGT/IMAG0027.jpg
http://injen.com/galleries/products/SP1873_install.jpg
the K&N looks more insulated than the injen though having a protective barier and not much of a difference of placement

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Thanks, although the videos don't quite do it justice. It's much louder in person and inside the car.

The link you posted was the Injen CAI, which is neatly tucked away in front of the driver's wheel well and far from any engine heat. K&N is a short ram.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Don't bother with a short ram, sucking in that hot engine bay air might actually cost you power instead of making it over stock.
I'm going to dissent from that. The K&N actually has an aluminum heat shield enclosing the filter that makes a sort of airbox. It's fed from the factory "ram air" scoop (can't think of a better name for it). So it really shouldn't be picking up much hot air. It's really not bad. While a different CAI might be better, it does seem to pick up a few HP (and comes with a dyno printout). It also sounds decent.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, although the videos don't quite do it justice. It's much louder in person and inside the car.

The link you posted was the Injen CAI, which is neatly tucked away in front of the driver's wheel well and far from any engine heat. K&N is a short ram.
Yeah the picture is short ram but its also modifiable to cold too just like injen, i just thought that set up wouldve been more beneficial with the heat sheild blocking the heat and all while using the stock air vent attachment.

I've decided to do injen anyway, looks easier to install and its a dry filter so no rare instances of getting bad sensor readings (not saying K&N does but who knows) and adding the hydro sheild on the injens filter , from what i heard it blocks water, dust, insects, etc which is really good.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Intakes are placebo at best. They do absolutely nothing unless you have other mods + a tune. You'll "feel" more with a catback but its not going to be like INSTANT HELLA POWER as if you slapped on a turbo or something.

Short rams are horrible for our car, no matter what "heat shield" you use. This platform has been around for 12 years and this topic has been beaten to death. It WILL bog your engine down on a GT, pure and simple. It doesn't matter how cool it looks or how many fancy bells and whistles it has. The 6G75 purely runs far too hot for it.

I live in AZ where there can be some pretty bad flooding in the summer, I have a hydro shield on my CAI for extra insurance and people have straight up poured water on them and the intake was fine. I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Intakes are placebo at best. They do absolutely nothing unless you have other mods + a tune. You'll "feel" more with a catback but its not going to be like INSTANT HELLA POWER as if you slapped on a turbo or something.

Short rams are horrible for our car, no matter what "heat shield" you use. This platform has been around for 12 years and this topic has been beaten to death. It WILL bog your engine down on a GT, pure and simple. It doesn't matter how cool it looks or how many fancy bells and whistles it has. The 6G75 purely runs far too hot for it.

I live in AZ where there can be some pretty bad flooding in the summer, I have a hydro shield on my CAI for extra insurance and people have straight up poured water on them and the intake was fine. I wouldn't worry too much.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015HAT4O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is this the one u got?

if so, what hydrosheild size did u get? i see alot of different sizes and im not too sure the perfect size to buy.

Figured id get mine off of ebay for the hydrosheild later since amazon takes so long to ship

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015HAT4O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is this the one u got?

if so, what hydrosheild size did u get? i see alot of different sizes and im not too sure the perfect size to buy.

Figured id get mine off of ebay for the hydrosheild later since amazon takes so long to ship
Yep, thats the one! Heres the hydroshield.

The filter size is x-1015, for future reference. The hydroshield says its for 1034, but it fits the 1015 as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
holy S*4$8 just installed the first half of the injen cold intake and that one bolt holding down the stock intake box was a pain even with my extension wrench. No help from injens instructions. Will install the next half tomorrow morning since its getting dark and starting to rain.

Also those Rubber M6 vibra-mounts were a pain to screw on the thermostat housing had to twist the rubber and was afraid it was going to break cause it was difficult to screw in.

How have you guys installed the bottom half of the Cold air intake? im going to take off the wheel and the plastic cover that someone suggested.

And do we need the vacuum switching plug anymore? cause injen said to unplug that from the stock air box and left no saying of where to plug it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
holy S*4$8 just installed the first half of the injen cold intake and that one bolt holding down the stock intake box was a pain even with my extension wrench. No help from injens instructions. Will install the next half tomorrow morning since its getting dark and starting to rain.

Also those Rubber M6 vibra-mounts were a pain to screw on the thermostat housing had to twist the rubber and was afraid it was going to break cause it was difficult to screw in.

How have you guys installed the bottom half of the Cold air intake? im going to take off the wheel and the plastic cover that someone suggested.

And do we need the vacuum switching plug anymore? cause injen said to unplug that from the stock air box and left no saying of where to plug it anywhere.
Yes, you can just unplug it and let it hang. It doesn't throw any codes or anything.

As for the bottom half, I didn't even remove my wheel. I just turned my wheel inward, took off the splash guard underneath, and the splash guard in the front of the foot well. Its a bit cramped, but not terrible. I did it without jacking my car up (because I didn't have jack stands at the time) so it may be even easier for you if you have jack stands.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just have the stock jack stand that came with it that ill be using its a bit cramp since the pilot super sports is pretty thick for a tire.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Yes, you can just unplug it and let it hang. It doesn't throw any codes or anything.

As for the bottom half, I didn't even remove my wheel. I just turned my wheel inward, took off the splash guard underneath, and the splash guard in the front of the foot well. Its a bit cramped, but not terrible. I did it without jacking my car up (because I didn't have jack stands at the time) so it may be even easier for you if you have jack stands.
^ +1

This is exactly how I did it too, it'll be tight and you'll swear a few times but definitely doable.

About the plug, isn't there a cap for it or am I thinking of something different, it's been a while.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts