Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
What Drives You?
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two factory audio systems for the 2006 + Eclipse (both GT and GS models):
STANDARD ROCKFORD FOSGATE AUDIO SYSTEM
  • Single-disc CD player for MP3/CD-R/CD-RW
  • AM/FM digital radio
  • MAX output: 140W
  • Six speakers total:
    [*]2 x 1.25" (3.5cm) tweeters (dash-top panel)
    [*]2 x 6x9" front (door speakers)
    [*]2 x 6.25" rear (rear quarter panels)
PREMIUM ROCKFORD FOSGATE AUDIO SYSTEM
  • 6-disc in-dash CD player for MP3/CD-R/CD-RW
  • So-called "Digital Signal Processor" (DSP)
  • AM/FM digital radio
  • Audio amplifier (under glove box)
    •MAX output: 650W
    •Steering wheel with remote control radio switches
  • Advertised nine speakers total (in 7 distinct locations):
    [*]2 x 1.25" (3.5cm) tweeters (dash-top panel)
    [*]2 x 6.25" front (door speakers)
    [*]2 x 6.25" 2-way rear (rear quarter panels)... the "8th and 9th" speakers
    [*]9.75" (25cm) subwoofer (trunk enclosure)

Audio Electrical / Signal information
  • Electrical dedicated 12v switched power from steering column ignition to Head Unit
    [*]12v ignition to relay/fuse box: blue-black wire
    [*]Fused 12v (under-dash fusebox) to HU: blue wire
    [*]Box fuse = 15A (#23)​
  • Electrical dedicated 12v from battery to RF 650W amp
    [*]12v battery to relay/fuse box: white wire
    [*]Fused 12v (under-dash fusebox) to amp: red-green wire
    [*]Box fuse = 30A (#12)​
  • Speaker signal / power
    [*]Standard System (all speaker power from HU)
    [*]LH front tweeter: white-blue (+) / black-blue (-) ... [shares same power/ground as front LH door speaker, parallel]
    [*]LH door speaker: white-blue (+) / black-blue (-)
    [*]RH tweeter: white-red (+) / black-red (-) ... [shares same power/ground as front RH door speaker, parallel]
    [*]RH door speaker : white-red (+) / black-red (-)
    [*]LH rear speaker : yellow-blue (+) / gray-blue (-)
    [*]RH rear speaker : yellow-green (+) / white (-)​
    [*]650W Premium System
    [*]From amplifier:
    [*]LH door speaker: white-blue (+) / black-blue (-)
    [*]RH door speaker : white-red (+) / black-red (-)
    [*]Subwoofer coil 1: gray (+) / red-blue (-)
    [*]Subwoofer coil 2: green-red (+) / red (-)​
    [*]From HU:
    [*]LH tweeter: white-blue (+) / black-blue (-)
    [*]RH tweeter: white-red (+) / black-red (-)
    [*]LH rear speaker : yellow-blue (+) / gray-blue (-)
    [*]RH rear speaker : yellow-green (+) / white (-)​

Reactions: gc33550

·
What Drives You?
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the specific circuitry associated with the Sirius-enabled 08+ premium systems. Someone care to enlighten us, so I can add that information to the main post? :)

·
"Yayo"
3,633 Posts
Haha.. I love how they count the 2-ways in the rear as 2 speakers each. And who the hell has a 9.75" sub!?? :p

·
What Drives You?
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mitsu? :dunno:

:lol:

·
"Yayo"
3,633 Posts
What I was told is that they may well be RF speakers, but they are the lowest of the low quality that it doesn't even matter anyway. The speakers in the premium RF system are made of the same shit the stock Mitsu speakers are made of. Paper cones ftl. All it is is a way for Mitsubishi to justify themselves saying that this premium system is $1000 more.

·
What Drives You?
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, true that the speakers are paper-type cones, however I do believe these are of much better grade than the 3G / other Mitsu speakers, and a lot to do I guess with the fact that it's contracted out to Fosgate :twitch:

However, you're right in that they're no better than the Mach systems in the Mustang, or the downplayed "bose premium" speakers in, say, Corvettes, etc. They sound great compared to the average car audio systems out there, true. But they're still FLAT-sounding, definitely NOT DSP! Depth is as flat as mono speakers, with stereo fidelity. There's certainly no staging in these, and the tweeters are WEAK as fuck!

But I'm preaching to the choir, ain't I? :) I just hope that when I finally get around to the audio system I'm planning for :ninja:, that I'll still be able to utilize the 6-CD changer for playing CDs and local radio to send a digital (in the case of CDs), while relying on a separate audio processor unit to give it the depth and audio fidelity I need to be satisfied. ... Also for visual theft "minimalization".

... I just don't know how feasible that would be :)

·
"Yayo"
3,633 Posts
However, you're right in that they're no better than the Mach systems in the Mustang, or the downplayed "bose premium" speakers in, say, Corvettes, etc. They sound great compared to the average car audio systems out there, true. But they're still FLAT-sounding, definitely NOT DSP! Depth is as flat as mono speakers, with stereo fidelity. There's certainly no staging in these, and the tweeters are WEAK as fuck!
:agreed:

·
Registered
18 Posts
But I'm preaching to the choir, ain't I? :) I just hope that when I finally get around to the audio system I'm planning for :ninja:, that I'll still be able to utilize the 6-CD changer for playing CDs and local radio to send a digital (in the case of CDs), while relying on a separate audio processor unit to give it the depth and audio fidelity I need to be satisfied. ... Also for visual theft "minimalization".

... I just don't know how feasible that would be :)
There are items that you can use when you upgrade your speakers, amplifier(s) and/or subwoofer, yet retain your factory headunit. JL has one of the most well known with their CleanSweep can do just this. I should note that other manufacturers sucks as Rockford Fosgate and Alpine also have their own units out. Crutchfield has the CL441dsp as well as units from RF and Alpine as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
552 Posts
anyone got any ideas about the ipod adapter? i was told by the dealer the cable is $20 and that the adapter was $200 plus like 100+ for install, so around $330-350 for the entire install, anyone got any ideas on how to do it cheaper and or any other ways to hook up the ipod...

·
Turbo GS
1,409 Posts
You can buy the aux cable and listen to your ipod thru the system for less than 30 bux shipped if you have the 6 disc changer unit, but you'd have to switch songs on the ipod itself. The more expensive unit allows you to use the headunit controls to switch songs with. You can get it from "Mitsubishi Parts" | Online Parts & Accessories Catalog

Here is the part no. MZ360135EX

·
Registered
552 Posts
is this the same cable i can buy from the dealer? cost 20 bucks and if so how do i connect it where does it go?

·
Registered
552 Posts
ok so if i have the RF stereo Package and buy the aux cable from the Link Above, i can Connect that into my HU and be able to Listen to my Ipod in the car Correct???

·
"Yayo"
3,633 Posts
Other members have done this with ease though, so I would assume it's relatively easy. The hardest part would be taking the center dash section out, and finding a place to run the cable.

·
Registered
552 Posts
anyone who has pics of where they got the cable out would be appreciated maybe give me some ideas where i will make it come out while i wait for delivery :wtflol:

·
Its MIVEC not MYVEC silly
570 Posts
anyone who has pics of where they got the cable out would be appreciated maybe give me some ideas where i will make it come out while i wait for delivery :wtflol:
im getting ready to order it and im wondering the same thing myself since i hate wires hanging all over, for $20 it should come with the car since i just plugs right into the i really dont wanna take the car apart and then have a rattling noise in the dash from doing so, and i refuse to pay $200+ for the other version i think thats a little unnecessary

so if anyone can show us where they routed the wire that would be great :wiggle:

·
Registered
552 Posts
yeah agreed hehe i already got some rattle in the back window i dont wanna add more to it

·
Its MIVEC not MYVEC silly
570 Posts
just for reference the ipod adapter AUX wire is part number - MZ360135EX

its posted alot of places but it should be in here

i have the install pdf but its too large to upload, any ideas for that?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts