Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Club4G Admin
5,251 Posts
General Description:
For years lightweight flywheels have been used to distribute the horsepower that an engine creates more efficiently. Aluminum flywheels will add much more performance to your engine. Because the factory built flywheel is so heavy and so large in diameter it takes an immense amount of power just to get it rotating.To rotate the factory flywheel from 1000 rpm to 6000 rpm can take as much as 40 horsepower. That same application with an aluminum flywheel, because of its? lighter weight, takes less than 15 horsepower.

This means that the horsepower the engine is saving is actually sent to the wheels and not spent rotating the heavy steel flywheel.To establish this as fact and not theory, we have tested time and time again. Both the dynamometer and track results have shown conclusive evidence that a light weight aluminum flywheel is a must. With all the benefits of the lightweight flywheel, driveability is virtually unchanged and in most cases improved. Whether the car is your daily driver or a pure race machine, Fidanza has the flywheel to suit your needs. Our aluminum flywheels are made from the highest quality 6061 T6 aluminum.The material is fantastic for strength, heat dissipation and of course reduction in weight.

The friction surface we use is an incredibly strong 1050 steel.The plates are milled to meet our high specifications. A Fidanza flywheel can mate with any type of clutch material, including organic, kevlar, ceramic, metallic and sintered iron. We attach the friction surface with military grade aerospace fasteners. The ring gears we use are also made from 1050 steel and are heat treated for durability. The gears are heated then pressed on and secured with grade 8 button screws.We were the first to utilize a stepped dowel system in most of our flywheel applications. This doweling method ensures that once the pressure plate is installed the dowels cannot be removed because they become locked into place.

Fidanza designs and builds flywheels with extreme precision.We give tuners, racers and builders the high performance and unmatched power they're seeking.​

Specifications:
  • 6061 T6 aluminum
  • 1050 high carbon steel friction surface (pt# 161011)
  • 1050 steel ring gear
  • CNC machined
  • Aerospace fasteners
  • Flexplate (pt#229101)
  • Overall flywheel weight = 9 lbs.

[/LEFT]

Available through the following vendors:
Tearstone Performance

·
What Drives You?
9,397 Posts
OK... here's another one for ya, Russ - Fidanza or CM? Are there any major differences or is it just a matter of semantics?

At the very least, what's your take on this?

·
Club4G Admin
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK... here's another one for ya, Russ - Fidanza or CM? Are there any major differences or is it just a matter of semantics?

At the very least, what's your take on this?
Not really. It just comes down to price and availability. I've always sold more Fidanza then anything else, and I only sell Clutchmaster flywheels when the Fidanza are taking too long to come out of production. Fidanza does not stock any product at all in their Ohio office and they send all product directly out to distributors once it is finished.

·
What Drives You?
9,397 Posts
Ahhh... any issues with either? I know we've dabbled most in Fidanza flywheels. What about the CM?

I myself had the SPEC flywheel on the 3G. No problems with that, save for the stock mitsu TOB they supplied. I'm afraid my rattle never really went away. :(

·
Club4G Admin
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh... any issues with either? I know we've dabbled most in Fidanza flywheels. What about the CM?

I myself had the SPEC flywheel on the 3G. No problems with that, save for the stock mitsu TOB they supplied. I'm afraid my rattle never really went away. :(
No issues that I know of, it's just a fancy brake rotor :)

·
What Drives You?
9,397 Posts
Ohh shit! I just noticed the price difference - pretty substantial :)

What about warranty periods on either? Anything significant?

·
Club4G Admin
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Clutchmasters is 90 days I believe, and the same with Fidanza although I cannot confirm Fidanza for you. But it's more less one of those things where if it's a manufacturer's defect they will know it right off. It is a pretty straight forward part.

·
Head ball buster!!
1,136 Posts

hmm I dont think the price difference is that bad between the two. I mean $20 if one is way better aint that bad to pay.

clutchmaster I see 378. And fidanza $359.

So to me it would come down to which is the better of the two that I should get regardless of price. Oh and that is a question lol.

peace

·
Head ball buster!!
1,136 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
y does every1 tell how much the 4cyl fw weighs but not the v-6? i would like 2 know the weight of the fidanza, cm, and stock fly wheels b4 i purchase 1 or the other. also which clutch would b better; stage1,2,3, or 4?

·
What Drives You?
9,397 Posts
I believe that's my job to research:
  • 3.8L V6 = 9 lbs
  • 2.4L i4 = 8.5 lbs

As for clutch, use your better judgment. I believe most sites will tell you the differences between the stages. Judge based on your ultimate performance goals.

·
What Drives You?
9,397 Posts
Oh and btw... 4G64 flywheel post erected :naughty: for those who prefer 4 holes instead of 6.

·
What Drives You?
9,397 Posts
ugh... I'll have to search. 30lbs? ish?

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Fidanza Flywheel

I put the Fidanza Flywheel into my 06' gt and wow what a difference not only do u get more power to the wheels but the engine revs so much quicker, i would say it is a must have.

·
a=dv/dt
5,606 Posts
umm so a flywheel allows for faster shifts?

im going to research now....

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Yea first off your droppin like 20 pounds and since its lighter it takes less power to spin the flywheel, that power your saving is getting put to the wheels, your probly losing around 30 to 40 hp with the stock flywheel. fidanza claims to make that go down to 15hp loss thats like 15 more horse to the wheels my friends

1 - 20 of 23 Posts