Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gamer
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For people that have been having the rare issue where you turn the ignition to start the car and starter just clicks (brand new starter, good battery, and ground) , you have to do this 3-5 times and it would finally start, this is your fix below.

I was having this issue as well so Friday replaced the ignition switch inside the steering column, fixed the issue, $40 part took 20 mins to do

Start with disconnecting negative battery cable, otherwise you will have airbag light,
removing the steering wheel, steering column covers, clock spring, steering hub and connectors,
The ignition switch is on left side of steering column, only 2 screws hold it in place.
Replace then reinstall system

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey,

Fantastic guide.

I just went to get a mechanical fitness done and the mechanic says i need to change the ignition cylinder. It is a 2011 Eclipse 3.8L V6 M/T

It seems the dealership is sold out. Do you know if the automatic ignition cylinder is the same? different part numbers are listed but there is no visual difference.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Thanks Colten!
Great job!

I need to do this. I was thinking it was the clutch pedal switch, but havent tried replacing it yet. I'll try this one first then the clutch pedal switch if needed.

Did you get it from Mitsubishi for $40?

Rock Auto has them for $21.00 and under. Looks like its the same for V6.
Not sure about auto or manual though.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mitsubishi,2006,eclipse,2.4l+l4,1431916

I think we get a club4g discount through rockauto too.; )

I think the part # is MR235638

·
1,965 Posts
Need to learn how to remove it. I want to install an Evo X steering wheel.
Pretty much same for any modern car, there’s two holes on the bottom corners of the wheel with hex bolts to release the airbag, unplug your battery first and wait 20 minutes before unplugging or messing with the airbag! Unplug the airbag wires (2 charges on this car) and the horn plug
Then once the airbag is out, disconnect any other connections to the wheel like cruise control and then you loosen the center nut and try to pull the wheel off, if it’s stuck you need to put the nut back on loosely to not damage the threads and use a steering wheel puller to thread into the sides to pop it off

Oh and make sure the wheel is perfectly centered, and mark it with a marker or paint pen with the shaft before pulling it off so u put the wheel back on straight

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Steering wheel has to be removed, and it's very easy to remove steering wheel, literally takes 2 minutes
I am attempting this right now to change the ignition switch.

Is there a reason to take the wheel off to change the ignition switch?

You said it has to be removed but I just started, got the top and bottom cover off and its right there. Cant I just take it out and put the new one in?

I dont want to mess with the airbag if I dont have to.

See pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I didnt see a reason to remove the wheel to change the ignition switch.

With the battery disconnected, I poped the top and bottom cover off. (theres 2 phillips screws under the bottom cover holding it.)

Then I just used a Torx 15 bit to remove the 2 torx screws holding the ignition switch in.
Slide it out and unplug it. Theres another plug connected to the housing of the ignition switch. Push it off, no need to unplug this one, just slide it off of the ignition switch housing. Put it on the new switch and install new switch.

Put covers back on, reconnect battery and now the car starts on every turn.
: )

Ive had to turn my key about 3-5 times before the car would start for about 1 year now. I tried the clutch switch and starter relay but it wasnt those. Cleaned battery terminals and replaced negative terminal. Checked voltage at battery and New starter last year.

Ive been putting this off cause I didnt want to mess with the airbag.

The beginning of this week the car didnt want to start at all. I turned it about 15-20 times and it finally started. Then every day it took more and more turns.

Now the car starts on the 1st turn every time. : )

I was curious, so I poped the old ignition switch apart, It just pops apart, theres 3 tabs holding it together.

Heres pics of it.
You can see the contacts are covered in crap. I was lucky it was even starting.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts