Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I've heard good things about this clutch, https://allclutchsystem.com/shop/ol...for-2006-2011-mitsubishi-eclipse-gt-se-38l-v6
problem is that I'm gonna replace the flywheel too and don't want to do an OEM one, would this flywheel work with it? Fidanza 06 Eclipse 3.8L V6 Aluminium Flywheel - Auto City Imports

If not, what flywheels do you recommend for this clutch? or is there a similarly priced clutch I missed that would work better with this or a different flywheel, basically where can I get a flywheel+clutch kit for ~$1000 that is more performance-oriented?

Edit: Should I just go with the clutch masters kit? It seems well-received on these forums.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's bone stock right now outside of aesthetic stuff. But I plan on doing full bolt ons, intake exhaust, headers, tune better injectors and fuel pump etc. It's my daily driver but if im doing all these mods a track day here and there in the future would be possible.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,650 Posts
Alright, so you only need a very basic clutch upgrade at most for the torque, but for the "track day", it'll come down to tires and what type of racing. You can also skip the aftermarket injectors though and fuel pump. You won't be nearly at the limits of the factory setup with bolt ons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on getting some Toyo or Michalen summer sport tires I don't know much about tires but I would probably do grip driving at the Corvette museum. I have a relative who grew up building civics and he said he always gained power from fuel system things like injectors and pump so I'm just taking advice from those who are more experienced than me. I contacted clutch masters and they said the fx350 series would be good for my usage and future track days. That technically is a stage three I suppose? Clutch masters pressure plates seem to have an OEM feel from what I've read and the fx 350 gets good life aswell. Should I go fx250 or 350?

·
Basically Stock
7,650 Posts
Grip driving being what? Road course? If so, there's very low demand on the clutch. You can run stock broken in right, or look into mild street clutches.

FX350 could be considered a CM stage 3.5. stages aren't comparable between companies, there's no relationship to a clutch masters stage 3.5 to an ACT stage 3.5 (FX400 is like an ACT stage 2 in style). I've run the 350, and the 400 in stuff I've raced. FX250 will drive nicer than the 350. The 350 is weird in that it gets sticky once hot, so is a very dynamic clutch in how it feels. I prefer an FX400 in city driving over the 350 even.

What a civic needs and what your eclipse needs aren't going to be the same. The overall principals stay the same, but the starting points are different. If you want to run a larger pump, you'll be looking at converting to a return style fuel system. But the stock pump is also good for about 400whp, which you won't hit NA. Going return style you'll need some custom fuel rails, fuel tank bulkhead, new lines, fuel pressure regulator, tune, pump, and basket modifications. But you wouldn't see any benefits. If you wanted different injectors for a different spray pattern, you may see a couple horsepower... At about $150/injector. So you're looking $450/HP. You're better off investing that into a custom made camshaft setup than injectors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang okay. Yes most likely road course. And okay don't go the fuel route lol thank you. This is all really helpful info thank you so much. So you would recommend the fx250 over the Fx350 since it's my daily street car? And the 250 could handle a few track days? I'm getting my transmission rebuilt because the synchro went out in 5th gear, nothing stronger just factory holding power is what the build should stay at, that is why I'm doing clutch/flywheel in the first place. I just want something that will last alot of mileage too even if I'm doing hard pulls and stuff and hard and fast shifts from the dig or rolling.

Edit: I realize a clutch isn't going to last forever especially if I'm beating on it, nor will the flywheel, but I know companies manufacture their components to handle the extra abuse and still get good mileage and I'm just asking for your advice that will help me decide which will be the best for my plans with the car

·
Basically Stock
7,650 Posts
The 250 will outlast the 350 for sure in street use. Road course they'll be quite similar. Drag racing, the 350 will last longer but then you'd want the 400 anyway.

Everything is a balance of compromises, so to me it's best to focus on what you'll do most of, and make sure you get something still capable of the outliers.

Flywheel wise, CM makes aluminum and steel. Go with the steel. It'll drive nicer, and has less risk of failure. Aluminum are best saved for dedicated circuit racers with a high budget and frequent rebuilds

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 250 will outlast the 350 for sure in street use. Road course they'll be quite similar. Drag racing, the 350 will last longer but then you'd want the 400 anyway.

Everything is a balance of compromises, so to me it's best to focus on what you'll do most of, and make sure you get something still capable of the outliers.

Flywheel wise, CM makes aluminum and steel. Go with the steel. It'll drive nicer, and has less risk of failure. Aluminum are best saved for dedicated circuit racers with a high budget and frequent rebuilds
Okay thank you so much dude this has all been incredibly helpful. I'll go with the fx250 as the durability sounds like what I need along with being able to handle a little track usage.

·
Basically Stock
7,650 Posts
The FX200 will last even longer, but if you're a person who rides the clutch a lot, you'll burn the kevlar. Used properly, they significantly outlast any other type of clutch. Kevlar clutches are the only that come to mind that are by design supposed to last longer than OEM, while also giving extra performance. When you get into the higher power stuff, the clutches become more disposable, even if you're not using them to their limits of clamping ability

From their website, the FX250 is "for the street enthusiast or weekend racer who plans to abuse their vehicle on an occasional basis and has a very spirited driving style. The FX250 clutch system has a higher holding capacity than a traditional full faced kevlar without compromising the street friendly characteristics exhibited in the FX100 and FX200 series. "

·
Registered
665 Posts
Since you have to pull the transmission already to change the clutch, I am going to recommend installing a limited slip differential while you're at it. An LSD and good tires will do more to gain you performance than anything else. Even with boost, you cant put power down unless you have traction. Its a bigger at the moment cost, but you consolidate having to pull the front end and transmission apart to one time.

I agree that a "relative" stage 2 clutch will do what you want it to do admirably. Something around ~20% more than OEM holding capacity would work plenty to hold all the power a naturally aspirated GT can make. If you plan on still driving on the street, stick with a disc type clutch and avoid puck/paddle types. Essentially stick with a stage 1 or 2 clutch.

·
Basically Stock
7,650 Posts
If you're going to drag race with an LSD and sticky tires, definitely go pucked though. I have that combo on my GT, and even before the mid engine stuff started, it could never launch on a full face clutch. It even had an 8 puck that couldn't keep up at one point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dang. Well I really don't plan on dragging although I feel like our cars would be good at it. An LSD sounds amazing on the track though. What would an lsd install cost me? I assume it's really complicated in a fwd car compared to rwd, I know golfs and civic type R's gave lsds from stock and I've only heard good things. Fx250 is my clutch, I'm going to do aluminum flywheel for the light weight, the car already has had a clutch and flywheel replacement from what I can tell, there is alot of chatter and It grabs well for 130000k miles.

Edit: also what is the stock holding power on the 6mt trans for 2008. If I'm having it rebuilt should I have it built stronger?

·
Registered
665 Posts
^^^I have never taken my GT to a prepped track so I can't comment on that use. I have been able to get away with a full face disc for autocross and other shenanigans, but a properly prepped launch surface is a whole different beast than regular asphalt.

I will tell you that putting the LSD in my car was the best thing I did to it. With the old open diff I would carve through a tight corner hard, get on throttle, the inside wheel would light up....then traction control neuters the throttle. Turn traction control off, repeat corner, get on throttle, inside wheel just burns rubber before you slow down enough for it to grab, then it tries to rip the wheel out of your hands when you find traction again. In my opinion traction was the biggest issue with the 4G, and an LSD (plus good tires of course) makes it a totally different car to drive. Those 2 things raise the performance capabilities a lot.
I suggest doing it at the same time as the clutch because you have to disassemble the transmission...entirely...to do it. So the whole front end has to come apart, just like in the clutch swap. Then you have to unstack all the gears and shift forks. Done simultaneously it will save you the cost of pulling the transmission a second time. I don't know what that runs now, maybe $1200. You will have to pay for the transmission disassembly/LSD install/shimming/reassembly but that was only about +$350 added to the cost of changing the clutch last time my car was worked on. The hardest part might actually be just finding and sourcing a Quaife LSD now days. I bought mine from another member but they run ~$800, maybe more now.

As far as the transmission, I remember some of the boosted GT guys were still running a stock gearbox other than the clutch. So unless you start approaching 500hp I wouldn't worry about the gears or case itself. Weakest link was the OEM clutch. (Although there is something of an argument to be made about a designed weak link that is sacrificial. Better to burn a clutch than strip gears. But that is a real-race-car problem we don't have here and I digress). A lot of GT guys back in the day were noticing they were swapping them out ~60k miles or sooner. The original clutch was known to have a relatively short life when you started to lean on it. With sticky tires, bolt on and tune, I could smell my original clutch burning and feel it slipping at the end of its life. I changed mine around 60k as well. If you get an upgraded clutch with a better holding capacity like you mention you will be golden.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright you've convinced me to do an lsd now aswell lol. I guess I better start saving and researching. Is quaife the best lsd company for 4g eclipses? I'm having a shop rebuild my trans so I will have them install the LSD aswell. I don't feel like learning all of that and screwing up possibly even tho manual transmissions aren't too complicated. Lsds are though.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you are having the transmission rebuilt than you might as well put the LSD in. I doubt they would even charge you, since they are just installing a part they would have to pull and reinstall during a rebuild anyway.

Quaife is the only company that makes an LSD for the GT. You may have to look for an LSD listed for other cars that shared the transmission such as the Dodge Saturn, Mitsubishi Galant/Magna 380 from Australia and such. I am able to find them via google though from small online retailers for ~$1100 it looks like.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright thank you so much for all this info, currently saving for all the parts and labor I will update this post when I get parts etc. Definitely can't wait to get all of this installed.

·
Registered
2007 Eclipse GT Spyder
4 Posts
If you are having the transmission rebuilt than you might as well put the LSD in. I doubt they would even charge you, since they are just installing a part they would have to pull and reinstall during a rebuild anyway.

Quaife is the only company that makes an LSD for the GT. You may have to look for an LSD listed for other cars that shared the transmission such as the Dodge Saturn, Mitsubishi Galant/Magna 380 from Australia and such. I am able to find them via google though from small online retailers for ~$1100 it looks like.
I have lurked here a little bit ever since I picked up my GT Spyder last summer. I have been looking for the Quaife LSD ever since. I figured it would eventually materialize on Ebay. Maybe I have missed some, but I haven't found a single one in stock anywhere.

What even is a Dodge Saturn? No relevant results on Google. Do you know specific part numbers that would work? It sounds like the Magna has an LSD from the factory? Is this known to be better or worse than the Quaife?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been unsuccessful in finding an lsd aswell and since I daily my GT anyways I would rather not install another thing that could break. I'm instead going to invest in suspension stuff and a really good set of tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts