Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody still have 4G here in California? If so, what go fast mods are we able to put on here without being illegal?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Anybody still have 4G here in California? If so, what go fast mods are we able to put on here without being illegal?

Do you have a GS or GT? I’m not in CA, but suggest you just just buy mods that are CARB certified. I believe the DC Sports intake is. Catback exhaust should be ok too (if not too loud).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Cold air Intakes, Exhausts, and port and polish are really the only leagal mods here in Cali I believe. I still Run my Road Race Headers and straight piped exhaust. I have a 3 inch high flow spprt resonator thats, pretty long, on my echaust for some back pressure but also to quite it down. Ive popped my hood several times for cops and they dont seem to care. But there will always be one cop that will. Also, California laws changed exhaust tickets so they are actual tickets you must pay instead of fix it tickets. I have a stage 2 head job, with a proflow throttlebody, port and polish on my intake manifold, headers, exhaust, AEM intake, throttle body intake manifold spacers applied with gasket maker so no leaks, and no cats with the hackish reflash. No codes can help you talk your way out of a ticket with an officer. I tell them I have a cat efficiency of 100% which is why I dont have a code. You can also throw a heat shield on the headers and most wont know the difference.

Ill aslo be installing my stage 2 RIPP supercharger in about a month or so. Just keep your stock parts and you should be fine. But yes half the mods on this car are a No-No

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have a GS or GT? I’m not in CA, but suggest you just just buy mods that are CARB certified. I believe the DC Sports intake is. Catback exhaust should be ok too (if not too loud).
I have the GT. Okay I'll look out for those CARB cert mods. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cold air Intakes, Exhausts, and port and polish are really the only leagal mods here in Cali I believe. I still Run my Road Race Headers and straight piped exhaust. I have a 3 inch high flow spprt resonator thats, pretty long, on my echaust for some back pressure but also to quite it down. Ive popped my hood several times for cops and they dont seem to care. But there will always be one cop that will. Also, California laws changed exhaust tickets so they are actual tickets you must pay instead of fix it tickets. I have a stage 2 head job, with a proflow throttlebody, port and polish on my intake manifold, headers, exhaust, AEM intake, throttle body intake manifold spacers applied with gasket maker so no leaks, and no cats with the hackish reflash. No codes can help you talk your way out of a ticket with an officer. I tell them I have a cat efficiency of 100% which is why I dont have a code. You can also throw a heat shield on the headers and most wont know the difference.

Ill aslo be installing my stage 2 RIPP supercharger in about a month or so. Just keep your stock parts and you should be fine. But yes half the mods on this car are a No-No
Oh so the headers from RRE are okay here?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ohh absolutely not haha. They remove all the cats so if you pass the smog test you will certainly fail inspection. If you out the heat shirlds on the front a rear thrn they might not be able to tell but it gets rid of the cats. Plus it says not carb legal and not for street use. I kept both of the GT exhaust manifolds if I ever get caught with them. Its kind of hard to say my car is stock when my engine looks like this haha

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohh absolutely not haha. They remove all the cats so if you pass the smog test you will certainly fail inspection. If you out the heat shirlds on the front a rear thrn they might not be able to tell but it gets rid of the cats. Plus it says not carb legal and not for street use. I kept both of the GT exhaust manifolds if I ever get caught with them. Its kind of hard to say my car is stock when my engine looks like this haha
Nice! Oh well. Guess I'll just do CAI and exhaust.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nice! Oh well. Guess I'll just do CAI and exhaust.

You could do a ported throttle body, ported intake manifold, ported heads, etc. On the Stingray Corvettes, they saw 10-15 horsepower by porting the exhaust manifolds in lieu of headers. Those are mods that would never be detected on the outside of the car. If you’ll always run premium fuel, you could shave the heads a tick for more compression. There’s always things to do if you’re committed. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could do a ported throttle body, ported intake manifold, ported heads, etc. On the Stingray Corvettes, they saw 10-15 horsepower by porting the exhaust manifolds in lieu of headers. Those are mods that would never be detected on the outside of the car. If you’ll always run premium fuel, you could shave the heads a tick for more compression. There’s always things to do if you’re committed. :)
Thanks for the tips! I'll look into those.

·
Registered
257 Posts
And if you want, I have two extra intake manifolds that you can either buy and have them ported or we can port and polish them to gasket match with a set of gaskets we have here (essentially a stage one). This id also an extra throttle body I got that we also cleaned up and did a port and polish on it as well to match the same one I have. Since you have a V6 and in Cali I got a LOTTTTT of spare parts you might be interested to come pick up as well. But yeah porting and polishing heads, intake manifolds, throttle bodies and such are under the radar mods that really help out cumulatively

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aww yeah bro!! How much for those? Ported and polished?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just got off the phone with my guy. He said we can gasket match and port and polish the upper and lower intake manifold for you for $160. We can so this 2 ways.

We can do the port and polish on one of the sets we have here and trade you these ones for yours plus the $160 for materials and parts. Kind of like a core charge

Or you can straight buy these manifolds off of us which will be $160 for the port and polish and $100 for the intake manifolds. So $260 all together.

Im located in So Cal, hopefully itll be close to make this easier. Same thing with the throttle body about the same price for porting and polishing to gasket match. Either trade us yours plus cash on top or straight buy it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where in socal are you? I'm over at Oceanside. What about if I had mine ported and polished instead? And don't I have to get my intake first?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the intake manifold a two piece? Sorry I'm a newb

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I'm SoCal too, pretty close to Irvine. Just got my 2012 GS, got a cold air and new headlights on the way. Pretty much in the same boat with you Agugus, probably gonna just go for illegal mods and do my best to hide them though. If you guys are down to meet up or work on mods lmk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts