Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, anyone ever remove the carpet on their Eclipse? Underneath they have these grey streaks on the chassis that are pretty hard to remove. Has anyone ever attempted to take these off? Is this some sort of sound deadening material? If so, will dry ice remove it? Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The metal sound insulator? People either grind it off, or hit it with liquid nitrogen then hammer it off
Oh okay, cool. So liquid nitrogen will work for sure? I kinda brushed this idea off cause it looks much different than your average sound deadening material. Just to clarify, this is dry ice correct?

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,054 Posts
Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide. It may work.

Liquid nitrogen is nitrogen cooled to the point of being a liquid. You pour it on, and it causes the metal to contract rapidly, and being near absolute 0, bonds become quite weak between the materials. So then it can be easily chiselled off. It's not uncommon in racecars for weight savings.

If you're talking about what I think you are, it's fairly common in sports cars instead of using foam sound deadening

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide. It may work.

Liquid nitrogen is nitrogen cooled to the point of being a liquid. You pour it on, and it causes the metal to contract rapidly, and being near absolute 0, bonds become quite weak between the materials. So then it can be easily chiselled off. It's not uncommon in racecars for weight savings.

If you're talking about what I think you are, it's fairly common in sports cars instead of using foam sound deadening

Where can I purchase liquid nitrogen? And would this be safe for the chassis underneath the deadening material?

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,054 Posts
I have no idea where your local source would be. You're gonna have to look around, check industrial suppliers or places that sells stuff for scientific purposes.

As for safe for the metal under, yes. Paint may not like it though. It's not corrosive, it's totally inert. But if the paint isn't flexible enough it can crack.

·
F.N.G.
110 Posts
You're talking about the stuff that looks like thin rolls of grey putty stuck in a bunch but really hard on the metal under the carpet?
Why you want to remove it? It prevents that spot from rattling. Even when i sound proofed with fatmat i left that intact and just rolled over it without any problems.
I did give it a hit or two with a wedge at first but once i realized how well it was bonded I decided not to mess with it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're talking about the stuff that looks like thin rolls of grey putty stuck in a bunch but really hard on the metal under the carpet?
Why you want to remove it? It prevents that spot from rattling. Even when i sound proofed with fatmat i left that intact and just rolled over it without any problems.
I did give it a hit or two with a wedge at first but once i realized how well it was bonded I decided not to mess with it.
Right, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm actually using this specific Eclipse to take on track, so I want it to look nice with a gutted interior. I feel the grey streaks make it look kinda weird. I'm not worried about rattles or anything since it's going to be for track use.

·
F.N.G.
110 Posts
Fcabagnot, yep that's sound dampening material. I imagine those guys are right, I think I read about cooling it down to make it fragile. I can tell you a wedge and fairly heavy hammer didn't do anything and I feared it would damage the trunk floor and stopped. I did my best to file down the really pointy ends (mainly because it kept poking me while I sit in the boot applying fatmat) but good luck. That stuff is really strong.
I imagine you're having fun with your car on the track, but my soul screams at the idea of leaving it stripped down to the metal (I had mine like that for a few weeks last year and it was unbearable). Please keep it off the walls bro, less and less Eclipses still on the road every year.
What kind of HP are you getting from your track car? I wonder how much weight you've cut from the curb weight. I'd rather go on a diet than gut my interior! ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fcabagnot, yep that's sound dampening material. I imagine those guys are right, I think I read about cooling it down to make it fragile. I can tell you a wedge and fairly heavy hammer didn't do anything and I feared it would damage the trunk floor and stopped. I did my best to file down the really pointy ends (mainly because it kept poking me while I sit in the boot applying fatmat) but good luck. That stuff is really strong.
I imagine you're having fun with your car on the track, but my soul screams at the idea of leaving it stripped down to the metal (I had mine like that for a few weeks last year and it was unbearable). Please keep it off the walls bro, less and less Eclipses still on the road every year.
What kind of HP are you getting from your track car? I wonder how much weight you've cut from the curb weight. I'd rather go on a diet than gut my interior! ;)
So far I was able to shave off aprox 250lbs, the car sits at about 3100lbs atm, still with AC. I believe I can get it down to around 3000lbs with CF hood, hatch, and lighter wheels and titanium exhaust. The only mods that I have right now are CAI, Magnaflow exhaust and throttle body bypass. Headers and E85 tune will be coming in the next couple months. I'll dyno the thing then and keep you guys updated. The car's potential is incredible with all the weight shaved off, even without headers and a tune.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts