Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive became quite the eclipse fan about 5 years ago when I picked up my first 3G, Since then Ive acquired a 06 4G for myself and a 08 4G for the wife. Both are GS autos. I know the 3G very well, have rebuilt the manual trans myself, full engine rebuild top to bottom, balance shaft delete and so on. Im very mechanically savvy and have all the shop service manuals and im great at research but im still getting to know all the ins and outs of the 4G and hoping someone has had the same issue and can point me directly to the fix to save me some time. Now to the issue. It started about a month ago, when going to work in the morning it goes right into reverse i back out, shift to drive and it would take about 7-10 seconds before engaging. Didnt think much of it as after that first run of the day it wouldnt do it again. As the mornings came and went i started to notice with the initial symptom the shifter its self physically resisted being moved into park for a few seconds. Today was the i need to figure this out wake up call. As usual it backed out i put it into drive and started to drive off, it was like being in a straight shift with a toasted clutch, it would barely move and any increase in rpm made no difference. I put it in reverse to return to my driveway and again mild movement not met by engine rpm increase. I pretty much coasted back to my driveway. I sat for a moment to let it warm up as today was the coldest this year so far and tried reverse again met with the engine slamming into gear but still little to no response when hitting the gas, i tried drive again, no slam of the engine but again lottle to no response. Again reverse met with a slam. I turned the car off, back on and everything was back to normal. Points of notice the slam when going into reverse only, physical resistance of the shifter when going into drive, the shift indicator light on the dash not lighting up to show the D when its doing this and it only does it the first run of the day when cold out. If someone can point me to the fix or in the right direction to save me some time i would be highly appreciative. Im thinking its a solenoid. And i have already checked my fluid. Its clean and on the mark.
Thanks for any input in advance..
My baby
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing, fix your shifter cable bushing. It's probably corroded at the trans and isn't allowing you to actuate the trans properly.

You can take it off, clean the rust off the shifter linkage and bushing, grease it, and put it back together. That should be the first thing to check any time a manual or auto car shifter doesn't want to move smoothly and freely into position.
Thank you for the suggestion, I had forgotten to add that to the already done list, it was in fact one of the first things i did courtesy of a shifter issue with my manual trans in my 3g. I wasnt comfortable with how small the diameter of the stock cables were so i ended up making my own from much larger tow cable. Good tight shifter, no play and no problems since.
As to my 4g current problem, i believe i have it solved. The biggest clue being it only happens when cold, i flushed and changed out the fluid in the trams last night with known proper fluid. I believe the previous owner just stuck any ole atf in it and it was getting to thick to flow correctly in cold weather. It gave me no problems what so ever this morning. None the less i will be adopting a habit of letting the car warm up 5-10 minutes in the mornings before i go anywhere just to avoid future issues. Having gone over the service manual for the F4A4B-4-L3Z auto trans they are apparently very touch about cold weather all around correct fluid or not...I'll touch back in a few day and confirm if the solution was the fix or not incase anyone else runs into this issue

1 - 3 of 3 Posts